Would Santa Clara Vanguard have won in 1989 if.....

The magic trick got them more GE in 89 .... all kidding aside... I enjoyed 88 much more than I did in 89...I don't think a reboot like this could be done today though as in back-to-back years. I haven't gone to look at corpsreps, but I am wondering have any other corps done back to back years like this or was this a first and last?

Madison Scouts did City Of Angels in 91 and 92 if I recall the years correctly. I don't remember any other corps doing the same show back to back more recently than that. Back in the 80s, many corps would repeat the same piece, or multiple pieces in a show several years in a row. I think Cadets did the same song 3 years in a row during the 80s, and several other songs within a few year period. I seem to recall other corps doing that as well, I think Cavies also did a piece 3 times in a short period as well.

That reminds me of another incident, where in the last decade, a smaller corps had folded, and at finals the year they had come back, one of the parents of the corps had sat near us and started crying because they were doing the exact same show they had done the year they had folded.

IMHO whether it be the objective era or the subjective era the adjudicary will always use marching or percussion to tell the fans why the obvious winner in fact did not.

Clever way to start the " Robbery of 1989 " discussion thread;.Last time it was " How could PR have won - I suggested " Kidnap the percussion judge".

IMHO 1988 POTO was far superior , yet 1989 - in spite of holes , fracks , near trainwrecks in the drumline , etc is still mentioned every year as one of the highest scoring of all time?It always amazes me how SCV's orchestration of source music is so close to the original ( especially in this case " Wishing you were somehow here again" ) . Especially following 1987 and 1988 . I think it was payback time.

Phantom Regiment 1989 will always be " One for the ages " for me.

frankiE

• Like 4

yeah that judging was a bit interesting

really felt SCV had it in 88 and 89 I personally thought Regiment had it

SCV was the 2nd place corps for several years - so maybe that played into it

to answer the OP - I really don't think the shows were that identical - different drill, arrangements, guard work etc. Close but not THAT close. JMO

I would have still had Madison winning in 88, they were on fire and had great feet - it was one of those things that worked live but you don't see on the video

I would have still had Madison winning in 88, they were on fire and had great feet - it was one of those things that worked live but you don't see on the video

I wasn't fortunate enough to see Madison's '88 show live. But I make it a point to watch it at least 2 or 3 times a month (no exaggeration)...every month. And it's always worked for me. Probably why I can still watch it repeatedly and with consistent regularity.

I'd say let sleeping dogs lie. That being said, the turnaround with Regiment from '86 to '89 is to be acknowledged.

SCV was 2nd in '86. Regiment was 10th.

SCV was 2nd in '87. Regiment was 5th.

SCV was 2nd in '88. Regiment was 6th.

The people who helped turn around Regiment to the point where they were in contention for the title are to be commended.

Bravo people - Bravo!

Of the top corps that year, only Cavaliers stand today as a show that has aged well. Vanguard had a great membership, but won a consolation prize for judges messing up Finals in '88 (when they should have won), and PR's show is damaged by the "Hooked on Classics" approach to "Going Home".

Edited by Slingerland

The magic trick got them more GE in 89 .... all kidding aside... I enjoyed 88 much more than I did in 89...I don't think a reboot like this could be done today though as in back-to-back years. I haven't gone to look at corpsreps, but I am wondering have any other corps done back to back years like this or was this a first and last?

Cadets 2005/2006?

It's funny seeing "nearly" and "exact" in the same sentence.

I believe that '88 was the more emotional and better show with better solos and a more artistic guard that could play on the male/female roles.

The '89 show had a couple of glaring holes and fracked/terrible solos (compared to the previous year), but I guess it was cleaner and had the mask and all-female guard.

There were some very large differences between the shows, and yes there were some similarities as well.

To answer your question... I think it would depend on the show. Would they have executed a different show as well? Would they have spun and marched a different show as well?

I'm not sure what you're getting at...

Really.

Well this really changes my perspective on this show a little bit. I had always been under the impression that the guard was both male and female, and they had just dressed them up as looking female-ish.

Let me clarify: Did SCV doing Phantom of the Opera in 1988 help them to win the championship in 1989 with nearly the same show? If they hadn't done Phantom of the Opera in 1988, would they have still won in 1989?

First question: No.

Second question: Maybe; they were on a string of consecutive 2nds ( or 1 3rd place) from '82 until '88. Ronda said it best "always the bridesmaid corps, never the bride". From 1981 to 1989 they were mostly 1st or 2nd....and from '71 to '79 they were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Odds are they would have been 1st or 2nd.