Would Santa Clara Vanguard have won in 1989 if.....

The magic trick got them more GE in 89 .... all kidding aside... I enjoyed 88 much more than I did in 89...I don't think a reboot like this could be done today though as in back-to-back years. I haven't gone to look at corpsreps, but I am wondering have any other corps done back to back years like this or was this a first and last?

Lots used to repeat portions of their show music from one year to another in the 70s and 80s. SCV repeated Festive Overture '85 - '86. Tender Land '84 - '85. On the Town '83 -'84. Fiddler many times. SCV used to just do this a LOT.

BD did it a LOT in the 70s, early 80s.

Phantom did it with Spartacus in the early 80s.

Cavaliers did '85-'86 Mars and Variations on a Korean Folk Song '86, '87; Variations on the Liturgical Dances ending in '87-'88.; Gloria music '89 & '90.

Bluecoats Autumn Leaves '86 - '87

Cadets switched things up by just playing music by one composer for several years in a row, then they only did American composers, then they repeated previous shows....

Madison did city of Angels show two years in a row in '91 and '92.

I'd say let sleeping dogs lie. That being said, the turnaround with Regiment from '86 to '89 is to be acknowledged.

SCV was 2nd in '86. Regiment was 10th.

SCV was 2nd in '87. Regiment was 5th.

SCV was 2nd in '88. Regiment was 6th.

The people who helped turn around Regiment to the point where they were in contention for the title are to be commended.

Bravo people - Bravo!

There's a video about that one. They had a bad winter rehearsal season for the '86 season. Too bad. They performed an incredibly difficult show the best it can be expected. I would bet that Crown would be the only corps that could tackle that horn book cleanly today. Symphonie Fantastique needs to be performed again, but at a much higher level. LOVED the french horn bugle close-ups that year too on the video.

Honestly, I do not believe the amount of risk a modern hornline would take on playing that difficult of a book would be rewarded by the clean at all costs judging expectations of today, BUT I believe that Symphonie Fantastique has enough variety of skills to score well.

Edited by jjeffeory

Seems like a reasonable question for everyone:

Do you think Santa Clara Vanguard would have won in 1989 had they not performed nearly the same exact show in 1988?

I've thought about this one for a long time now, and my personal feeling is that they wouldn't have won in 1989 if it wasn't for them performing nearly the same show in 1988. Granted, I know they could have won in 1988, but I also wonder how many vets they had from '88 into the '89 season?

Also, do you guys know why SCV decided to do Phantom of the Opera again in 1989?

For the record, I thought Vanguard should have won in 1988, and Phantom Regiment in 1989. New World Symphony is one of my all-time favorite shows by Phantom.

Discuss.

actually they wouldn't have won if Phantom's battery could play clean.

• Like 2

Lots used to repeat portions of their show music from one year to another in the 70s and 80s. SCV repeated Festive Overture '85 - '86. Tender Land '84 - '85. On the Town '83 -'84. Fiddler many times. SCV used to just do this a LOT.

BD did it a LOT in the 70s, early 80s.

Phantom did it with Spartacus in the early 80s.

Cavaliers did '85-'86 Mars and Variations on a Korean Folk Song '86, '87; Variations on the Liturgical Dances ending in '87-'88.; Gloria music '89 & '90.

Bluecoats Autumn Leaves '86 - '87

Cadets switched things up by just playing music by one composer for several years in a row, then they only did American composers, then they repeated previous shows....

Madison did city of Angels show two years in a row in '91 and '92.

And in the 70's it was even more common. Even BD in 77 had large amounts of the 76 show included

I listen to the '88 SCV show often, fantastic music. I haven't listened to the 89 show since I saw it live at finals. No offense to SCV members from 89, but I really love the 88 sound/arrangement. 89? Not so much.

actually they wouldn't have won if Phantom's battery could play clean.

I have mixed feelings about the percussion section here. I recently downloaded the 1989 audio bundle for the top 12 and when listening to Phantom's recording, it sounded incredibly dirty, especially the exposed snare rolls. However, after I compressed all the shows into a program I use for my mp3 player, those rolls sounded MUCH cleaner. They still were by no means perfect, as the double stops/unison notes didn't really line up together in the drum solo, for example. So anyone have any clue as to why the recordings sounded like that to start with?

Edited by BrianM

Actually the battery was pretty clean.

not from my seats in Arrowhead

Of the top corps that year, only Cavaliers stand today as a show that has aged well. Vanguard had a great membership, but won a consolation prize for judges messing up Finals in '88 (when they should have won), and PR's show is damaged by the "Hooked on Classics" approach to "Going Home".

Where was PR hurt? Brass performance (first)? GE Brass (first)? They lost the title by 0.4---they lost drums by 0.5. Listen to the "Largo" again, and tell me how SCV was able to COMPETE musically. Hoo, boy.