Bridgeport, CT FANFARE NO BS REVIEW!

DCI has had some one-shot alumni corps over the years. I've heard mixed reactions to it. Either people seem to despise them or absolutely adore them depending on who you ask. Again, heard very mixed comments on the Bridgemen Alumni at East.

I think the problem is some people get it- or they absolutely do not. My guess is that people who never performed tend not to. Or people who don't get that many of us enjoy playing but simply don't have the time, money, or energy to commit to a full time corps.

We performed at DCI's Semifinals in Foxboro in 2005, and you are absolutely right, Big W. We went on right after the Cadets that night, and a good one-third to one-half of the crowd left as we came onto the field. Those who stayed were a great, enthusiastic audience, but literally thousands of folks had no interest in an alumni corps, especially a DCA corps' alumni. We did make some new fans that night, but clearly it was not really 'our crowd' for whom we performed. The majority of hardcore DCI fans simply 'don't get' why we're on the field and why we still love to perform.

I appreciate Chris Holland's comment and intention, but I doubt we would be received any better than the Bridgemen Alumni were at DCI East. Apparently their reception was not what they expected from what I have heard and read, despite the fact they represent a beloved former DCI corps. That's a shame, because they are really good and very entertaining. DCA veterans and followers are more of our true fan base. Others may enjoy us, but it's not overwhelming numbers of folks. Too bad more people aren't more open-minded with regard to all of the Alumni corps that perform.

Thank you you, Chris for your kind comments in your review. This season you have brought a fresh perspective to DCA shows and I look forward to your reviews the same way I look forward to Big W's and Jeff Ream's. The three of you are the best when it comes to knowledgeable and balanced reviews, and I hope you all continue to share your points of view with us.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer
  • Like 1

Awww shucks. Thanks man. I just call it as I see it. I hope I don't offend anyone with this stuff. I like reading the other guys reviews. It's like the old days of getting a drum corps world from the souvie stand to read on the busses that night.

• Like 3

It's why I do it, Chris. We used to read our copies of DCW and DCN on the buses, and I know Ben and others from Westshore used to hang with Fred Mowbray during shows and ask him how we did and what was on his mind. I try and write with Fred in mind, though I'd think he'd chuckle and tell me I'm a bit rough on some corps. :satisfied:

• Like 1

We performed at DCI's Semifinals in Foxboro in 2005, and you are absolutely right, Big W. We went on right after the Cadets that night, and a good one-third to one-half of the crowd left as we came onto the field. Those who stayed were a great, enthusiastic audience, but literally thousands of folks had no interest in an alumni corps, especially a DCA corps' alumni. We did make some new fans that night, but clearly it was not really 'our crowd' for whom we performed. The majority of hardcore DCI fans simply 'don't get' why we're on the field and why we still love to perform.

I appreciate Chris Holland's comment and intention, but I doubt we would be received any better than the Bridgemen Alumni were at DCI East. Apparently their reception was not what they expected from what I have heard and read, despite the fact they represent a beloved former DCI corps. That's a shame, because they are really good and very entertaining. DCA veterans and followers are more of our true fan base. Others may enjoy us, but it's not overwhelming numbers of folks. Too bad more people aren't more open-minded with regard to all of the Alumni corps that perform.

Thank you you, Chris for your kind comments in your review. This season you have brought a fresh perspective to DCA shows and I look forward to your reviews the same way I look forward to Big W's and Jeff Ream's. The three of you are the best when it comes to knowledgeable and balanced reviews, and I hope you all continue to share your points of view with us.

i would normally stay to watch Bayonne, but I had to leave right after Cadets. But more and more every year the crowd leaving grows as Bayonne comes on. I'm sure I'll get some hate mail for saying this, but they haven't been the last few years what they were when they came back out either.

• Like 1

It's why I do it, Chris. We used to read our copies of DCW and DCN on the buses, and I know Ben and others from Westshore used to hang with Fred Mowbray during shows and ask him how we did and what was on his mind. I try and write with Fred in mind, though I'd think he'd chuckle and tell me I'm a bit rough on some corps. :satisfied:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i would normally stay to watch Bayonne, but I had to leave right after Cadets. But more and more every year the crowd leaving grows as Bayonne comes on. I'm sure I'll get some hate mail for saying this, but they haven't been the last few years what they were when they came back out either.

did you just state that the quality isn't up to par? did they do a standstill or actually move around? i think that's my issue with many of the exhibition groups. standstills just dont entice me to watch.

• Like 1

This may be the most fun review I have ever read. Thank you!

• Like 1

did you just state that the quality isn't up to par? did they do a standstill or actually move around? i think that's my issue with many of the exhibition groups. standstills just dont entice me to watch.

They do some movement, but they're patterned after early 80's stuff, so it's not todays drills. I don't mind standstills, in fact played in one from 2002 until this past April. Honestly, with some alumni corps, they move and shouldn't.

With Bayonne, musically it's not bad. the comedy's bad. Do the Schtick that made you famous, and if you do, don't fight the Civil war giggling through it on the field

• Like 2

This may be the most fun review I have ever read. Thank you!

awww shucks. thanks.