Our future visual programs: consequences and concerns

I'm almot certain corps are starting to think of how to fill that vertical space. I think back to the chess pieces crown used years ago, and the scaffolding that Les Etoiles had that nearly toppled on unsteady ground. I'm not certain either of these pieces of scenery would do well on the turf that most venues have now. There's too much give in it for top heavy items.

Edited by C.Holland

Well, at the end of the day it's only going to take one lawsuit (if there is a severe enough accident) and we'll be short one corps and have new rules.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 3

Injuries happen no matter what the design- I was injured and sat out for a couple weeks my age out (during spring training) and none of that was due to the show. We had people step in prairie dog holes and get injured out, other get stress fractures in their feet from running... In any physical activity there is a chance at getting hurt. Running around for 12 hours a day for 3 months just happens to produce some more of them.

With props of course that is a little different, but I don't have experience there.

I just wanted to throw out an "inside look" at our (I taught the pit) prop use at Bluecoats this summer. From day ONE, safety was a large concern. There were many many different discussions amongst the staff, and with the members about how to be safe on them. While we went through SEVERAL methods of adding traction, the props were still quite slick at times.

The members knew that it was always up to THEM, if they felt comfortable going up the props. There were in fact several shows where members didn't go up the ramps, especially the tenor feature where they were being "tilted" while they play. There were numerous reps in ensemble (usually at night, on rehearsal days), where the props were just too much of a question mark to go up, and the members would just stand in front of them.

We also limited the amount of times the members would jump off the props during rehearsal. If you remember, the show used to end with SEVERAL members jumping off into a "trust fall". When we would rep that section, there would be many "no jumps" reps called from the tower. We figured that by limiting the amount of jumps, we would reduce the risk for something to go wrong. It was still practiced, but just enough to practice the catch, and the timing.

I can tell you, that at least for the Bluecoats, "bravado" and "design" are NOT above member safety.

Raise your hand here if you know that in the US, there are more injuries per participant in youth soccer every year, than per participant in youth football every year.

There are more injuries per participant in youth Track & Field H.S. sports than per participant participation in DCI Drum Corps too.

raise your hand if you think one lawsuit can really #### up drum corps

I think Daave you just made a point I think every DCI director, caption head, and section seargent needs to read. Often with the length of the season, many don't want a hole for a show, let alone a week. And many MMs tough it out. Some sit a show, maybe two, but that's not the culture unfortunately. If you have two holes that's even worse. So I'm certain there needs to be more attentiveness to the everyday bodily issues and more recovery time. I was the same way. "Ill be ok" probably should be "Ice and 48 hours off it"

I think as important of a consideration would be appropriate recovery and care for the injury sustained. If the injury is considered and accounted for, as some have written, is the same consideration given to the care and necessary recovery of that injury? The young men and women I have talked to (for the most part) ignore this aspect because they have to get back to drill and not have a hole for the next show. Put a brace on whatever hurts, swallow a handful of Ranger candy and put ice on it later. The activity, as it exists, rarely allows for the proper care and recovery of injury, as opposed to most organized athletics.

Just my observations.

This is huge. As a MM this past year, I definitely feel like the emphasis i always on "tough it out", and not on "heal so you can recover and be back to 100%"

• Like 1

re: Jeff Ream, raise your hand if you think one lawsuit can really #### up drum corps.

Lawyers and legalities were a concern when Jim Ott died in that van load of instructors on the highway, when there was a traffic accident involving the Cadets' equipment truck outside Stillwater, MN which involved a fatality, and when one of the Kilties dropped dead on the field at the Scranton DCA championships earlier this millennium. Thankfully, all these involved corps are still with us today. Let us remember in our hearts all those who passed and those involved who will never be fully healed of memory.

Edited by xandandl

I'm almot certain corps are starting to think of how to fill that vertical space. I think back to the chess pieces crown used years ago, and the scaffolding that Les Etoiles had that nearly toppled on unsteady ground. I'm not certain either of these pieces of scenery would do well on the turf that most venues have now. There's too much give in it for top heavy items.

Then I guess it's time for projected holographic imagery...although, I seem to recall this being mentioned (albeit, sarcastically) on another thread at one time. I wonder if projected holographic MM's would count against member numbers?