Reading 8/23 the Showdown before the Showdown

Hearing them in Row 1 is excessive.

Preach on, preach on! One of my fave articles on DCP was Frank Dorritie's "The Dut must Die" article. Too many bands are overusing them thinking because corps do them that it's acceptable to dut all the ding dong day.

• Like 1

If I can remember back that far....I think we used to count in our heads, and use stick visuals as a means to an end for counting?!?! I never remember ever doing that???

• Like 1

We never "dutted", Ben. Sometimes there would be a DM count-off, maybe clapping, etc. The big issue is whether it's audible to the stands. Did Bluecoats have any audible duts in their show when you saw them, especially in the "Hymn to Acxiom" ballad? Nope. The DCI units get it, and it needs to filter down now.

I understand that you need to find a pulse, have a pulse, and know where the center of pulse is. Especially with modern drill. That being said, it appears some drilll designers forget or frankly could care less that the pretty pictures and forms have consequences when you stick the percussion in places in front of the rest of the ensemble or off to the side. Mel Stratton was crystal clear about something when I was at his clinic:

If you can't figure out how to effectively and efficiently teach the drill you've written or make it work musically, throw it out and start over.

Nothing worse than a bunch of percussionists or guard yelling "DUT-DUT-DUT!!!" to set up every musical transition, tempo change, and starting every blasted piece of music. Internalize pulse (Something every dancer and musician DOES and BETTER DO... outside of this activity!!!) and tempi settings and changes. Rehearse with them, use Dr. Beat all you want, but get to where you can perform in front of people without the extraneous garbagio. :soapbox::wall:

Yeah, it's a serious pet peeve, I guess everyone can tell now. :laugh:

• Like 2

guys...this wasn't dhutting. read what I wrote. dhutting has a purpose and place if used correctly. No offense Dub, but in 83 the drill you were doing isn't what they're doing today. This is all about guard stuff

• Like 1

We never "dutted", Ben. Sometimes there would be a DM count-off, maybe clapping, etc. The big issue is whether it's audible to the stands. Did Bluecoats have any audible duts in their show when you saw them, especially in the "Hymn to Acxiom" ballad? Nope. The DCI units get it, and it needs to filter down now.

I understand that you need to find a pulse, have a pulse, and know where the center of pulse is. Especially with modern drill. That being said, it appears some drilll designers forget or frankly could care less that the pretty pictures and forms have consequences when you stick the percussion in places in front of the rest of the ensemble or off to the side. Mel Stratton was crystal clear about something when I was at his clinic:

If you can't figure out how to effectively and efficiently teach the drill you've written or make it work musically, throw it out and start over.

Nothing worse than a bunch of percussionists or guard yelling "DUT-DUT-DUT!!!" to set up every musical transition, tempo change, and starting every blasted piece of music. Internalize pulse (Something every dancer and musician DOES and BETTER DO... outside of this activity!!!) and tempi settings and changes. Rehearse with them, use Dr. Beat all you want, but get to where you can perform in front of people without the extraneous garbagio. :soapbox::wall:

Yeah, it's a serious pet peeve, I guess everyone can tell now. :laugh:

So ... not knowing how "dutting" or "audible help" is pointed out on the sheets, do the judges critique this as a negative when scoring a corps? ... I've heard what you and the other reviewers have said ... if you were judging, would this knock down your number on a corps? ... if so, what caption(s) could possibly be affected?

Thanks,

:-)

guys...this wasn't dhutting. read what I wrote. dhutting has a purpose and place if used correctly. No offense Dub, but in 83 the drill you were doing isn't what they're doing today. This is all about guard stuff

So ... if you were judging Guard, would it affect the number you assigned ... if you were judging Music, would it affect that number?

Thanks

Yeah, the count offs and "whoos!". I get that.

I understand the need to hold a pulse across the field, but again, Jeff- this is an artistic and musical endeavor as well as a visual medium. What's "musical" or "musically appropriate" about duts or guard count-offs and hypes when they're thrown in willy-nilly?

The count-offs from a guard can also be absolutely as bad. Hearing "five, six, seven, EIGHT!" at the end of a big phrase over the brass? It detracts. It makes me wince.

So yes, effect-wise, that kind of stuff can be detracting to the overall effect indeed. How would one feel if they listened to a concert and had to hear duts or the conductor counting out loud at the end of critical phrases throughout a musical performance? If one claims and desires that the activity is to have high musical standards, well, they need to have them, at least to the listening audience. Otherwise, the activity actively ends up being an easy target for the people in Music Ed. who hate it and love to make fun of it as crass, not very educational, not very artistic, and low-brow.

On-field audible, sure, audience audible, no.

And I understand drill placements and modern design, but still-- if you design visually without regard to the laws of physics and the properties of how sound propagates- and the fact the speed of sound is slower than that of light- then you get people griping left and right about tears throughout a program that are never fixed completely, sound like train wrecks, and honk off everyone. It is possible to design taking these things into account and to properly teach people who and what to look for, and who to listen to. But some people don't seem to know how to do it or care, then wonder why it's a train wreck and bandage it up with noises. And then, they wonder why their brilliant arrangements and visual package aren't received as some artistic epiphany.

When it works, it's great! You gotta make sure it's workable, though!

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

So ... if you were judging Guard, would it affect the number you assigned ... if you were judging Music, would it affect that number?

Thanks

Music judge commented on it.

This was like "Get it Gorgeous' 'You're the best' 'WOOHOO' 'AWESOME' 'GET IT GUARD.'

First off, I've always hated color guard vocals. They aren't apart of the designed show, so personally I don't believe they belong. BUT, I can tolerate it to some extent as a member, as long as its not distracting and it doesn't get to the audience.

This show, EVERY quiet moment was completely ruined by the color guard hooting, hollering, shouting, and counting.

• Like 2

So ... not knowing how "dutting" or "audible help" is pointed out on the sheets, do the judges critique this as a negative when scoring a corps? ... I've heard what you and the other reviewers have said ... if you were judging, would this knock down your number on a corps? ... if so, what caption(s) could possibly be affected?

Thanks,

I miss the days of Walter Winkelman. "Ready.... move!!!" :tongue:

Thanks,

on an upstairs caption, if it was cuasing you to not hear parts being played, sure it could affect the score a little