Why there should never be another Star

If someone had told us in 1994 that the Star of Indiana would return someday as a DCA Mini Corps in competition, (and win that title) we'd likely say "not a chance".

Seven consecutive times, no less. (And i bet they're out for blood this year after losing to Ghost Riders last time.)

Seven consecutive times, no less. (And i bet they're out for blood this year after losing to Ghost Riders last time.)

Yes.

Its rather odd when people think a Corps ( albeit in a new fomat in a new age ) think a Corps is no longer in existence, and is no longer performing and / or competing. But, DCP can be an interesting place where all manner of things are posted.

How much would $1,000,000 buy in today's drum corps world though?

It would do wonders for a small corps but it sounds like the big corps spend almost that much on a tour each summer. Starting up (without the sponsorships) would probably make things even costlier.

But I would be happy to be proven wrong if it meant Star would return. :flower:

How much would $1,000,000 buy in today's drum corps world though?

It would do wonders for a small corps but it sounds like the big corps spend almost that much on a tour each summer. Starting up (without the sponsorships) would probably make things even costlier.

But I would be happy to be proven wrong if it meant Star would return. :flower:

It depends on what you did with it. A smart person could easily get a full sized corps off the ground with $1,000,000 in seed money. A true entrepenuer would take it, and soar. Some people would probably blow it, though.

Its even funnier still when fans get their placements wrong from BITD in their criticisms of others.

This is in response to:

afd, on 26 Aug 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:snapback.png

It's funny how people like Star now but it was not the case when they were actually competing. The crowd reaction when the came in 3rd after basically coming in first in 1992. It's only when they leave the activity is when people appreciate their contribution to the drum corp activity.

For accuracy/clarity:

1) Star did come in 3rd in 1992

2) the crowd reacted pretty loudly when Star dropped from Semifinals 2nd place to Finals 3rd place

3) Star of Indiana WON Prelims in 1992, and also beat Cavaliers the week before Finals: in fact Star beat Cavaliers from DCM Championships - DCI Prelims (and in fact lost to BD only once in that time-span). So when the OP said "The crowd reaction when the (sic) came in 3rd after basically coming in first in 1992" I think it can easily be interpreted that Star came into Finals week with an expectation to win (since they had lost only one show from July-Prelims) and when Star dropped from first (in Prelims) to 3rd (in Finals) the crowd did react loudly: be it because the crowd was excited for a Cadets upset (Cadets hadn't beaten Star all year until Finals night), or Cavaliers' first DCI Championship.

So I'm wondering what you mean as far as "when fans get their placements wrong from BITD." Or were you being ironic in the fact that YOU either misunderstood the post you were replying to or you yourself were wrong about placements from BITD and thus you are "funnier."

That's the point. Lightening very rarely strikes twice. If someone had the money wouldn't they start a corps in their own image. I wouldn't start another Blue Rocks even though most people in this area would want another go. Yes a past member might but how !much would it cost to start out at that level. Good luck to anyone that can pull it off.

if I were Star alum and had the money, sure I'd start em up and say "lets be like we were before". here';s the beauty...Star had no style it was locked into. From 1985-1993 they covered Disney, Space movies, the circus, Porgy and Bess, British music, belshezar's, Rome, Murica and Medea. The only rule would be "get quality".

Star '90...Praise Ye...maybe the single most glorious opening 30 seconds in DCI history.

Some things are better left to be.

• Like 2

Who exactly cried for Star's return as a result of Southwind's announcement?

One person posted it in the Southwind thread and one person posted it in the "bring corps back thread" (which is exactly the purpose of that thread).

So pretty much "cries for the return of Star of Indiana ring out."

Uh-huh.

So I'm wondering what you mean as far as "when fans get their placements wrong from BITD." Or were you being ironic in the fact that YOU either misunderstood the post you were replying to or you yourself were wrong about placements from BITD and thus you are "funnier."

Don't you just get a kick out of it when people only give you silly 2 choices on something. ?.. as if theres no other choices beyond the 2 ? Its like going into an ice cream shoppe, and the stern kid behind the counter tells you to make up your mind on the only 2 choices they have that day remaining in their shoppe. Sometimes, you just decide that you won't buy what he's demanding on his only 2 choices, so you just smile and walk right out of the shoppe without saying another word. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

We don't know that.

If someone had told us in 1994 that the Star of Indiana would return someday as a DCA Mini Corps in competition, ( and win that title ) we'd likely say " not a chance ".

When the once 2nd place DCI Blue Stars folded, and were out of circulation for many years, hardly anyone thought we'd see this fine Corps return years later, and as a DCI Finalist Corps to boot. I agree the odds of the Star of Indiana returning back to DCI prominence as the Blue Stars have done is highly remote, but I wouldn't put it in the realm of an impossibility.

This is an incredibly bad example of a corps that folded. Blue Stars were out of competition for the 1983, '84 and '86 seasons. They competed three times in '85. They were out of circulation for a few years, not "many". In these "many" years out of competition they managed to win FOUR world titles.

Thanks for totally diminishing the great history of the Blue Stars. I guess corps don't matter unless they are competing in World Class competition.