Why there should never be another Star

This is an incredibly bad example of a corps that folded. Blue Stars were out of competition for the 1983, '84 and '86 seasons. They competed three times in '85. They were out of circulation for a few years, not "many". In these "many" years out of competition they managed to win FOUR world titles.

Thanks for totally diminishing the great history of the Blue Stars. I guess corps don't matter unless they are competing in World Class competition.

I think you missed the point. Completely.

(And for the record, missing three or four years of consecutive competition is an ETERNITY in drum corps time.)

I think you missed the point. Completely.

(And for the record, missing three or four years of consecutive competition is an ETERNITY in drum corps time.)

No point missed. I was just making a correction that the Blue Stars were a bad example to use of a corps that folded and was out of competition for "years".

Also, for the record, Blue Stars did not miss three or four years of consecutive competition.

Edited by Brian Tuma

The rise of Star occurred as 27th had its challenges, but I saw both live. I often attended shows such as CYO Nationals and World Open as part of a group, usually a school bus filled with fans of all ages and 27th was at its height. You'd hear people speak about Chicago Royal Airs, Brassmen, and Anaheim Kingsmen as so much better than what was competing at the time. I only saw Kingsmen live and their glory days were behind them. I think too if we're honest, we did not realize 27th was iconic when they competed. Yes they were popular, and they created magical moments, but they had their fair share of critics. I recall seeing Star in 1991 in a show where they faced SCV with "Miss Saigon" and the crowd felt SCV was robbed when Star won that show. The show was in Lynn, neighbor to Revere, George Zingali territory. When Star won, they were the corps that won a title by money, at least at the time. When they did not compete in 1994, it was considered sour grapes because of 1993's 2nd place. Corps can become iconic but it's often after they are gone.

As I said earlier I do not think the iconic corps can be revived and have us feel the same way about the corps. It's no so much you cannot go back, as I've said before I enjoy today but I'm a mid 70's through 80's junkie and can't help but wish, but you need the continuous, or at least I do. It's interesting that when the New London Surfers alums wanted to start a corps, they did not use their former name, they started 7th Regiment. Yes Blue Stars regrouped, but I'm not sure most fans connect Blue Stars today with the corps of the 70's while the connection is easy to make with Cavies, BAC, BD, Phantom, etc.

I would stay Star's contributions live on in an important way with every corps that is solvent. Bill Cook's efforts were not a whim and his business expertise which he applied to Star served as a model for other corps at a time many corps were near broke. He also showed that action contributes more to drum corps than griping. Of course anytime someone is innovative, Star in 1990,91, or 93 is invoked. Star still exists, just not as a corps.

This is an incredibly bad example of a corps that folded. Blue Stars were out of competition for the 1983, '84 and '86 seasons. They competed three times in '85. They were out of circulation for a few years, not "many". In these "many" years out of competition they managed to win FOUR world titles.

Thanks for totally diminishing the great history of the Blue Stars. I guess corps don't matter unless they are competing in World Class competition.

Tough crowd today ( lol!)

My comments about the Blue Stars were entirely and completely POSITIVE. I used the Blue Stars organization as a model above to dismiss the notion that it would be impossible for a once top tier DCI Corps such as the Star of Indiana to come back in DCI like World Class competition. Read my comments in the context, for heavens sake. If you thought that my comments above were stated in a fashion to " totally diminish the great history of the Blue Stars", you are lost. Good grief, what a wholly mistaken misread of my positive comments above regarding the reemergence of the Blue Stars.

Edited by BRASSO

Tough crowd today ( lol!)

My comments about the Blue Stars were entirely and completely POSITIVE. I used the Blue Stars organization as a model above to dismiss the notion that it would be impossible for a once top tier DCI Corps such as the Star of Indiana to come back in DCI like World Class competition. Read my comments in the context, for heavens sake. If you thought that my comments above were stated in a fashion to " totally diminish the great history of the Blue Stars", you are lost. Good grief, what a wholly mistaken misread of my positive comments above regarding the reemergence of the Blue Stars.

I apologize for that. It was positive. I get a little defensive when I feel people think only World Class matters. I just wanted everyone to know that the Blue Stars didn't just pop out of nowhere when they re-entered World Class competition in 2006.

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 1

Yes, we do know that. There might be another corps from Bloomington, put together by whomever; but there is not going to be another Star of Indiana. I've talked with way too many people involved with the original, one and only corps to know any different.

We don't know that.

If someone had told us in 1994 that the Star of Indiana would return someday as a DCA Mini Corps in competition, ( and win that title ) we'd likely say " not a chance ".

• Like 2

I apologize for that. It was positive.

No problem. You get a mulligan.

Yes, we do know that. There might be another corps from Bloomington, put together by whomever; but there is not going to be another Star of Indiana. I've talked with way too many people involved with the original, one and only corps to know any different.

nm....

Edited by BRASSO

:babies:

• Like 1