is this the oldest drum corps video on youTube?

So when (and why) did symmetrical drill become de rigueur? Because the first few minutes of drill in this 1955 show certainly doesn't look symmetrical.

True symmetrical drill really started about 1974 when back-field entry was allowed. The style on the video starting on the side 1 goal line (aka known as the 'starting line') was used because during big contests like VFW would sometimes have 70+ corps competing - this was the most efficent way to keep the show moving along. You underwent inspection on side 1 at the back of the end zone while the corps before yours was on the field, then moved up to the starting line, performed and ended in the side 2 end zone. Once on the field, most drill was symmetrical.

True symmetrical drill really started about 1974 when back-field entry was allowed. The style on the video starting on the side 1 goal line (aka known as the 'starting line') was used because during big contests like VFW would sometimes have 70+ corps competing - this was the most efficent way to keep the show moving along. You underwent inspection on side 1 at the back of the end zone while the corps before yours was on the field, then moved up to the starting line, performed and ended in the side 2 end zone. Once on the field, most drill was symmetrical.

At the VFW & AL Nationals I marched in, inspections were held prior to entering the stadium to compete and possibly on a different day (prelims?). One was held in a nearby parking lot. At local "contests", there was usually three lines. Inspection, ready, and starting line.

A different 1927 AL Nationals Parade video from Paris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhc7Xfu-iQ

The drum and bugle corps that I can identify are the Kankakee, IL Post at the 10:08 mark,

and the former national champion Boys of '76 from Racine, WI at the 11:28 mark.

Kankakee took 2nd place (by just .80) in the 1927 championship. Miami's Harvey Seeds Rebels won the title.

and this my friends, is what many on here (me NOT being one of them) would like to see drum corps go back to. no dance, no artistic guard, no pit, uniforms, g bugles, etc.... etc.... and of course spats!

I'm not sure DCI has ever been like this. Maybe somewhat in the first two years, but that was still different than this. There aren't too many people who marched in these shows still alive I'm sure; they'd be in their late 70s to early 80s. I seriously doubt there are many people in that age group who get on the internet! Looks like ROTC stuff a bit.

• Like 1

Those chromed helmets on Boys of 76 really help ID them don't they Brian?

This reminded me to look for vids of the 75th Battle of Gettysburg Reunion parade (1938). Found one with at least two corps and still looking. YT search for1938 Gettysburg Reunion and 4th link down "by USAHEC" has corps starting around 2:40 (haven't watched it all). Have other info on this parade and lot of PA/MD corps there. Can't copy the link guessing because of IE version and WinBlows 8 on the new laptop.

Edited by JimF-LowBari