2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

Now for the Bruno Mars part of the show. I recognize the song but don't know the title.

At one point as they were playing Bruno Mars's "Locked Out of Heaven" they even sang a brief passage.

Fake out ending! John Mayer turns around to address the crowd while the horns and drums do silent drill leading into a park and blow statement and a high energy finish!

Yes, but...

The ending depends on the audience applauding for long enough that John M. can act surprised, as he basks in the glow, that the corps has started again behind him. Today the audience finished clapping fairly quickly, leaving him to playfully complain, as the corps hadn't started again, that we were leaving him out to dry.

• Like 1

Question: Does DCA still require an honor guard on the field? I see one guard person standing on the right side of the field, just inside the 10, but she's just hugging a flag to herself.

Surely not. Fewer than half the corps had honor guards.

My question is: does the honor guard not count towards a corps' total size? White Sabers had an honor guard of eight, which by my count puts them at well above 65.

For that matter, do the drum majors count toward a corps' total size?

No offense Kilties, but the programming needs to advance.

Yeah, but first I'd like to see them cleanly execute the program they have.

Surely not. Fewer than half the corps had honor guards.

My question is: does the honor guard not count towards a corps' total size? White Sabers had an honor guard of eight, which by my count puts them at well above 65.

For that matter, do the drum majors count toward a corps' total size?

Neither the honor guard nor drum majors count towards the 128 cap (as long as they don't play an instrument).

Edited by Kamarag

Scores:

Cincinnati Tradition - 73.930

Excelsior - 71.330

Sun Devils - 82.250

Govenaires - 84.950

White Sabers - 88.030

Kilties - 74.480

Is that the highest Class A score ever?

Oh, man. Baritone soloist just had an almost '89 BD moment where he couldn't get the notes out.

I had already been thinking Windsor was in the process of not catching Alliance when this happened and, I felt, made probability a certainty. But the scores indicate it was never so close for one big frack to be the difference.

Empire got a several-places boost as a going away present. it was shameful, to be honest.

Apparently I'm the only one who thought Empire's final show got exactly the placement it deserved. There are all sorts of ways to get effect (as tonight's mini corps competition demonstrated) and they masterfully played on everyone's knowledge of their departure.

Great neighborhood for it, too. Hope they alert the police ahead of time, because a gunshot every seventeen minutes is likely a regular occurrence there :)

Well, having walked those streets last night when there was no show, I feel that the stadium sits right on the edge of danger. To the west and north, starting right across the street, are depressed residential districts where crime is likely high. To the east and south is mainly a mix of industrial and vacant land, which simply by being sparsely populated will have less crime. Even at night, once I got just three blocks in that direction from the stadium, it seemed pretty safe. (It probably helps that there's a police station pretty close by.)

Unfortunately, I can't see the upper deck at all. I'll have to see if we can get a crowd shot.

By the end of the show, the upper deck was full between the 25-yard lines, I'd say.