FINALS NIGHT

I can't say that I'm an authority on the matter, but I thought that the word was Heartliner declined. Their members were more interested in being in the stands to see the top corps.

Again, I can't confirm this info, it's just what I heard.

I seem to remember this, too. Actually, that would make sense to me, unless the corps had declined a pre-contest exhibition. Many months ago, I was expecting the 'new' Empire Statesmen to have a significant role as a post-contest attraction. Evidently, that never materialized, unless ES appeared earlier in the event without my knowledge.

So for those of you in the know. Strait up!

What was it about Bucs performance that propelled them from 3rd to 1st? Were they just on top of their game or did Cabs peek to early?

What was it about Bucs performance that propelled them from 3rd to 1st? Were they just on top of their game or did Cabs peek to early?

Didn't see anyone's full show Sunday night, so I have no idea.

Honestly. They came out on fire. It wasn't a matter of one corps peeking before another. If your peeking finals weekend, your peeking at the right time. When we think they "Peeked too early" I think mid-season or Scranton weekend. That clearly wasn't the case with either of these two corps. I think part of it was the fact that, looking at the recaps all year long, Judges were giving the Bucs better top book numbers... it was the execution that hurt them all season. Given the energy they brought to the performance Sunday night, it would seem they cleaned up those execution numbers on the one show that really mattered. That being said, Cabs brought the house down as well with just as much energy. In fact, from a crown response perspective, the crowd was much more enthusiastic at the end of Cabs show. Bucs didn't get as much applause at the end in terms of performance energy other than what anyone would give for a big hornline that's right in your face 10 feet from the front set of seats. For that one night, the one that mattered most, Bucs were perceived by the judges to be a little cleaner.

Hope this isn't a 'double post.' Something strange happened last time I hit 'Post.'

Ed, I'm really NOT in the know, but I'll offer an opinion.

First of all, Reading started the season young and tentative. I'm told 3/4 of the brass and color guard were new! Not counting a surprising result at Wildwood, I knew they would have lingering performance issues that would take a while to overcome. I am also told, throughout the summer, they made several changes in show design, too. All through this, they never were really "out of it,' so to speak. In a league that likes more and more to keep the corps just a tenth, or two, apart in captions, it doesn't take much deviation in one caption to swing the final result. Many observers at Scranton and Reading believed Reading could have won those earlier events, but for a couple curious caption deviations.

I only saw the corps live one time this season. All the rest was Fan Network. I enjoyed the Cabs very much. They were clearly the 'easiest-to-like' corps. Great music. However, Reading's overall design, as compared to Cabs, showed significant differences. Technically, I can't really comment, as I'm not a musician. I can say, the Reading performance I saw from Rochester was hard-charging, confident, and marched as good as I've seen them march all year. They really DID uncork a beauty at Finals. Obviously, with a different judging panel between Prelims and Finals, things are subject to change. I guess they DID!

I think it's important to remember, Reading really wasn't ever 'out of contention' during the year. They needed things to fall into place, and of course, work very hard. They needed to mature quickly, and did. My usual disclaimer is, yes, I'm a Reading alumni. I will also say, 2014 is not one of my favorite Buccaneer show designs, nor music book. I really do believe, however, they 'maxed-out' what they were given by year's end.

This year had to be a big 'hit' to the Cabs and their fans. That's obvious. But, you know, Cabs were also tied by MN Brass, too. I didn't see that coming either. Only seeing MN Brass on Fan Network from a few weeks earlier, I expected MN Brass to be down from both Reading and Cabs by 3-4 points!

Who can say for sure how this all works?

I should have added was it something else? Sorry My bad.

How was attendance for the weekend?

I think the bigger question is how was paid attendance. ???

How was attendance for the weekend?

Also how did the Internet feed "attendance" work out?

Thank You, to those that replied to my post. Some interesting and informative things.