2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

I would like to know how many times at finals, a group has leapfrogged another to win it all. That's a great trivia question in honor of the 50th anniversary.

I was there for bush 86 leap frog

I will preface this by saying that since i have2 kids in Cabs i am somewhat biased. I have seen enough of them and Bucs this year to still speak with insight though. From my seats on the lower left 40, there was no question about the level of the performances. Simply based on the judging that was seen all season and even the day before, Cabs deserved the highest score, before penalty. Being a visual guy I was just specially surprised by the ensemble visual and colorguard scores. Mr Miller and i clearly did not see the same things. I counted at least 5 times that Bucs brass were out of step. Considering most comments from visual judges today have to include something about colorguard and staging, I suppose it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Having been around the corps most of yesterday, I can say the members clearly felt they laid down the right performance to win the championship. The look on the staff faces immediately after their show, did not match what we saw on the field however. News of the penalty spread very quickly. Considering the circumstances surrounding the member that was called, the penalty was especially hard to take. I was stunned, as I was unaware that this penalty even existed. It is especially ironic that the championship corps had a show based on the theme of breaking through the front sideline. Perhaps someone can explain this rule to me? As we all know scores and placements are only a small part of the life lessons learned in the activity. I am really proud of my girls, and of the whole Cabs organization, for the way they handled themselves last night. Congratulations to all of those who performed over the whole weekend and the season!

Gotta say - somewhat of a tainted observation. Each group - and I mean each group stepped it up at finals. Just let it go at that -
  • Like 1

You can't tell anything from a video. You have to be there. Now where have I heard that before :):):):)

That's why it's called opinion. Jeff posted his opinion from what he saw, not from who told him to think that way.

• Like 1

Gotta say - somewhat of a tainted observation. Each group - and I mean each group stepped it up at finals. Just let it go at that -

Tainted? Nah. I agree that each group "stepped it up" last night. The thing is, I saw a lot of Bucs and Cabs the whole year. Bucs did not beat Cabs in the 20 pt visual caption, head to head, at any point the entire year, including prelims the day before. Suddenly both the Ensemble and Guard captions flopped overnight. Not only the performance sub captions, but the content and design captions as well. Being a visual guy sitting down low, I saw nothing that justified that change from an individual performer aspect. In fact, the opposite was true. It was those 2 judges who didn't agree with your feelings that "each group" stepped it up. I would be happy to let it go at that.

• Like 1

Actually, the Bucs won Ensemble Visual just one week before Finals at the Reading show. Having watched this race at a few shows myself, it seemed to come down to whether or not the Bucs would be able to perform their more physically demanding show on par with the Cabs. Of course, the wild card was Minnesota, and they proved to be right in the thick of the race. This made for an exciting night where any of the three could have won it all. The Bucs were the one that laid it down the most and they walked away with the gold.

Tainted? Nah. I agree that each group "stepped it up" last night. The thing is, I saw a lot of Bucs and Cabs the whole year. Bucs did not beat Cabs in the 20 pt visual caption, head to head, at any point the entire year, including prelims the day before. Suddenly both the Ensemble and Guard captions flopped overnight. Not only the performance sub captions, but the content and design captions as well. Being a visual guy sitting down low, I saw nothing that justified that change from an individual performer aspect. In fact, the opposite was true. It was those 2 judges who didn't agree with your feelings that "each group" stepped it up. I would be happy to let it go at that.

If any body got the shaft this year it was Sun, there score did not move evan a tenth of a point from the week before, when they were tied with the Hurrcs,and Hurrcs jumped up three points in pres.

• Like 1

That's why it's called opinion. Jeff posted his opinion from what he saw, not from who told him to think that way.

and I didn't base anything off of historical scores

here's the thing folks....

judge is told to judge their sheet, and the show of the day. Given that at no time was the total spread between the two corps more than 1.5, that means on many sheets, each subcaption was in "on any given day" category, aka a few tenths. While yes Dr. Mason I thought Cabs had it last night, I thought Bucs had it the week before. I'm happy to be wrong as I have many friends in Bucs, and I'm sad for my NJ friends. I also would have been happy if MBI won. I liked all 3 shows.

• Like 3