2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

Ah, thanks John and Jeff for clarifying! I wondered if those comments meant you had some inside information.

yeah i knew about a minute after John did because he texted me

Those of you in the stands tonight vs. those of us on the DCA feed...

Do you think the judges got it right? Especially when it comes to captions!?

It's hard, because most people, at home or in the stands (as I was), aren't focusing on just one caption like any given judge is doing. I thought the overall order would be Cabs, MBI/Bucs, Fusion, C2, CV, (Sabers), Bush, Hurcs, Alliance, Gold, (Devils)/(Govies), Tradition--with a slash indicating I thought it was too close to call. But what really came home to me tonight, having watched all the same shows two days in a row--which is something I've never done before, in either DCA or DCI--is how much a little thing like where my seat is can affect my opinion of a show. If, as is the case with the judges, I'm a different person today than yesterday, it's astonishing that scores are consistent as they are.

Wait, were there encores? I was around for fifteen minutes after scores were done and the field was still full of members congratulating each other. And they didn't come out with instruments, so I figured that wasn't happening.

Rochester now has a similar noise ordinance as Annapolis. No playing the corps on the field, no instruments during retreat, no victory encores.
  • Like 1

Subcaptions not captions: see Brass Composition, both Music Effect Compositions, and one Visual Communication. All 100s.

OK. I see what you mean. LOL (Me Stupid Monkey :)!! ) But didn't this also occur last year with the Bucs in ME and Communication? they also got 100's.

Last year Bucs went on last, so there'd be no risk in a judge assigning 100s to them. However, given what others have mentioned, that in DCA (except for early in Prelims), the judges don't turn in scores after each corps is finished but only at the end, the 100s this year should be less of a problem than they would be in DCI.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

OK. I see what you mean. LOL (Me Stupid Monkey :)!! ) But didn't this also occur last year with the Bucs in ME and Communication? they also got 100's.

they went on last

Last year Bucs went on last, so there'd be no risk in a judge assigning 100s to them. However, given what others have mentioned, that in DCA (except for early in Prelims), the judges don't turn in scores after each corps is finished but only at the end, the 100s this year should be less of a problem than they would be in DCI.

DCI also scores in blocks, so they have the ability to make changes