2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

Why didn't Caballeros get the penalty in prelims and other shows? I just watched their prelims video and clearly the solo dancer is often staged in the pit box yet didn't get a penalty in prelims?

Being in the pit box isn't a penalty, but on finals night the soloist went over the front boundary of the pit box (8 steps in front of the sideline)

Why not have another mini-corps go on? Or have some sort of I&E showcase like DCI used to have?

Not telling you how to do your job DCA, but having 12th place go on last (after Star, no less) is just weird. And I'm still bitter about the Heartliner snub last year.

*It should go without saying, but this isn't a slam on any non-finalist exhibition groups. It's a slam on DCA's odd sense of scheduling.

Perhaps they could have used both the Mini-Corps Champ, and either the Runner Up, or the Fans Vote Favorite.

• Like 1

Or have the fans vote on a non finalist to do the exhibition ,at least that way we know the fans are happy .

Being in the pit box isn't a penalty, but on finals night the soloist went over the front boundary of the pit box (8 steps in front of the sideline)

AH OK Blimey. Not surprised at the penalty then!

Why not have another mini-corps go on? Or have some sort of I&E showcase like DCI used to have?

Not telling you how to do your job DCA, but having 12th place go on last (after Star, no less) is just weird. And I'm still bitter about the Heartliner snub last year.

*It should go without saying, but this isn't a slam on any non-finalist exhibition groups. It's a slam on DCA's odd sense of scheduling.

get ready for a nasty gram

• Like 2

Not telling you how to do your job, DCA, but having 12th place go on last (after Star, no less) is just weird. And I'm still bitter about the Heartliner snub last year.

I thought Windsor acquitted themselves quite well in their exhibition performance and that the crowd enjoyed their show. And I completely understand DCA scheduling both exhibitions following the last competing corps, to allow for enough tabulation time before retreat. That was a wise move.

But I also agree with the general sentiment that it is odd to see a corps who missed Finals performing there. Last year a friend joined me at Finals, his first-ever DCA show, and he was immediately puzzled by this point, so the sentiment isn't restricted to people who already know the corps. To judge from Fran's way of explaining their presence ("one of the newer corps in DCA"), even DCA isn't quite sure how to justify the appearance of a non-Finalist corps at Finals.

Your idea about having two mini corps perform is intriguing.

Fans and judges can be on completely different pages these days... thats for sure.

One interesting thing is that on the DCI side, many of the fans upset about the Blue Devils' wins complain that BD's show isn't physically demanding enough (although that was said less this year than in other recent years), while on the DCA side, many of the fans upset about Buccaneers' win acknowledge that Bucs' show was probably the hardest on the field.

Not sure she was that far over. I saw it happen and it looked like she went over the sideline by a foot at the most and was back on the field within 2 seconds. It didn't look like a staging or design issue, but rather a pathway issue due to equipment in the way.

I think Spandy meant that the front of the pit box is 8 steps in front of the front sideline...not that she was 8 steps out of bounds.

Dan

^^That's the ticket. Sorry if my wording was a little ambiguous :satisfied: