Hello I'm a Noob!

Hi! I am new to DCP and very new (recently converted in June 2014) to DCI exposure. I am based out of Los Angeles, CA and my favorite corps so far is the Santa Clara Vanguard. I do enjoy the Blue Devils as well, yet I am so attracted to the classiness and musicality of movement I feel and see from SCV. I am in no way at all a marching expert as I have never ever marched. But I do play the piano and played violin throughout grade and high school. I am recently obsessed with watching DCI videos on youtube from the past and I wonder if this is a recognized or common condition, as it takes up too much of my time. If anyone out there in the LA and surrounding areas would like to connect with me, that would be awesome! My friends think I am lame, for loving the drum corps activity, but I know they are just very ignorant to it, so anyone out there with a valid opinion towards Drum Corps, please feel free to message me :). Thanks.

P.S.

I notice people on these forums can get really mean, and I do not intend to be one of those people. I support all the positive results and outcomes that I believe EVERY corps brings to anyone who participates in it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

'sup n00b? on most forums you'd get your face smashed, but here on DCP...n00bs.... we go ez on 'em.

Thank you for the kind words about Santa Clara.

The most important thing for a n00b to know is that if you are an active or fmr. member of a divI/II or Sr. Corps, you may constructively criticise them in a well-thought out critique that is verifiable, but openly bashing another corps is considered out-of-bounds here. Shy away from flame-bait and flame wars, there plenty of other sites for that.

I would say that throwing DCI, DCA or any other circuit under the bus be done elsewhere, but I'm no mod or admin or editor.

Don't encourage marching members to "hit" a judge or make jokes about it-at all. It is dishonorable to allow it to happen by mistake and shameful to be proud of it --> Awful and a "bus ticket home," if ever done with intent or malice.

Realize that the fans are the most important part of drum corps. Consider the integral part the fans play in your posts.

Always consider them in your practicing and rehearsals and perform FOR them at every show.

Please behave with honor, integrity, purity, courage and perseverance. Amplify that 100-fold when you are practicing/performing on the field-of-honor.

Please do not spit, sit or swear on the field of honor.

Follow the chain-of-command.

Don't let anyone break-ranks. ever. not even in MB.

Memorize: The Liberty Bell March, The Star Spangled Banner, Revele, Taps, The Flag-raising, Bugler's Holiday, You'll Never Walk Alone, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, One More Time, C-tuning, G-Tuning, F (thumbs up)-tuning, Clark Studies in F,G,Ab, A,B,C and D. Krypton. Salvation is Created, America/O' Canada and Send in the Clowns.

Make "drum corps" friends. They are the best people in the world. They will pick you up when u get knocked down. They will forgive your worst mistakes if you are honest, if you are sorry and make amends. They will teach you if you are willing to learn. They will watch your back and show you your front if u fail to notice it. Much of them transcend friendship. They've been upgraded to family, many of them long ago.

Welcome

Edited by Tapper7

• 2 months later...

Hi I am a new member. I joined because I love DCI and Im auditioning for the Cavaliers and would like some advice. So yah. :)

If you're a brass player feel free to question me about DCI auditions. I've arranged lots of exercises and plenty of solos...no charge, but DO Get Arban's and Rochut's method-books if you haven't already. Be able to play all the solos, duets and variations....it can't hurt to memorize a few of these too.

As for marching; if there is a Vet at your school; ask 'em to show you how to march and play at high-speed ....6 to 5, 4 to 5 (jazz running) etc...we ALL need to be able to do that. Corps like Star started teaching dance to the battery and hornline in the 80s and 90s...BD, SCV and others followed suit.

To my knowledge and experience, all marching members practice and learn dance with a CG-consultant for ~1hr each day at camps and on tour.

If you intend to march Rosemont - you'll need to be able to play on the move just-like you were sitting in the band room.---cardio can't hurt.

• 2 months later...

I'm a noob too, and really enjoy connecting with other people passionate about music. I am from Canada, so DC is much different up here than it is in the States. It's nice to have this to follow. I marched years ago, and to be reminded of how passionate people get about the shows and the whole culture is great. Looking forward to getting back into this "world".