Would DCI ever expand the number of marchers per corps?

cjf20

I feel like DCI and drum corps is growing as an activity and each year it is harder to make it in, straight to the point here will DCI ever allow more then 150 members?

Edited by cjf20

And I think most people are happy with 150. Enough people on the field to do some cool visuals and blow your face off with sound, but not so many that it's impossible to clean.

If the buses add more seats maybe. That's why it went up number of years ago. Idea was how many members and staff could fit in 3 coaches. Of course the number of staff seems ridiculously low compared to today (forget the numbers).

I feel like DCI and drum corps is growing as an activity and each year it is harder to make it in, straight to the point here will DCI ever allow more then 150 members?

It's only "harder to make it in" if you refuse to march anywhere but in the very best corps--in which case, get better and earn a slot. But there is plenty of opportunity: lots of Open Class corps and a handful of World Class corps marched fewer than 150 members in 2014. Not to mention DCA corps: if Cadets2 had a full complement of 128 members all season long, they'd have had an excellent shot of medaling this year.

• Like 2

What you're proposing would be the ultimate definition of slippery slope. 128 used to be the limit; then it was expanded to 135, and now to 150.

Maybe more members could go to other corps too? I mean you get to the point with all the members and props that you can't do as much drill on the field...

What you're proposing would be the ultimate definition of slippery slope. 128 used to be the limit; then it was expanded to 135, and now to 150.

Maybe more members could go to other corps too? I mean you get to the point with all the members and props that you can't do as much drill on the field...

150 is still small in comparison to many bands and many still do quite a bit , props and all. Now I did a band with about 500 musicians and I think at it's highest 125 in the guard, that was nuts..lol..Ive done about 325 on the field and at timeslots of props and this Band was running at high speeds most of the show. It can be done well I think, not that I think the # needs to be raised.

Not necessary. Corps don't look small on the field and all the sections are large enough as it is.

Plus, it would just be another difference between the top corps and the middle of World Class, since corps at the bottom/out of finals have a hard time getting 150 members as it is.

• Like 1

150 is still small in comparison to many bands and many still do quite a bit , props and all. Now I did a band with about 500 musicians and I think at it's highest 125 in the guard, that was nuts..lol..Ive done about 325 on the field and at timeslots of props and this Band was running at high speeds most of the show. It can be done well I think, not that I think the # needs to be raised.

Yup, I've seen very large high school marching bands on the field. Not very effective.

I thought Duncanville High School was large at around 400 members:

band.jpg

Allen High School has around 850 members. Yikes!

16464_NpAdvHover.jpg10122013_057.jpg?itok=URAXl638