switching instruments

so ik crown for part their show had all low brass pick up high brass, has any corps done something simmliar ike ik cadets 91 had in the begging all the drumline had tennors, and one year that i don't remember phantom regiment had all thier high brass pick up baritones, can someone tell me what year that was btw

Ave Maria in 2006, wasn't it?

For drums, we had Cadets '91, as you said, putting everyone on tenors. Madison in '98 also did a neat switch throughout the show where they were first almost all on snare, then tenor, then their "regular" lineup. And I remember Les Etoiles did it one year as well, but that was because they had like 8 battery*. (*may not have been 8 - I just know it wasn't many) And Bluecoats put everyone on snare in ... 87? 88? Both?

Mike

What is done now has often been done in the past.

86 Star...6 euphs picked up contras during "Close Encounters."
87-88 'Coats...tenors, and I think cymbals and some pit put on snares during "Autumn Leaves."

Those 2 come immediately to mind....and, of course, any number of soloists carried extra horns (Mario Fabela 84 Freelancers...TWO different horns in addition to his sop)

Boston 2003 had the entire drum line start out on snare for Malaguena. Pretty cool moment

Academy this year put all on battery on snare for part of the show.

Madison in '98 I think had all snares on tenors, and then all snares and tenors on snare (or vice versa)

BD this year had all mellos on trumpet to start the show with trumpets.

1995 Crossmen had 10 basses for a little bit to start the feature/closer

Edited by ibexpercussion

Like Sam said, look in the past...87 & 88 VK's drum solos had pit players et al put on snares for the "mombo" snare line feature. The following year they added The Sex Cymbals holding huge tom drums for the extended snare line to play on; the crowd reaction was epic.

Academy in 2012 had their tenor line switch to bass drums for part of the show (about 7 mins in on the FN video)

...which reminds me of 2009 Infinity Percussion when they started the show with 24 bass drums

In DCA last year I think Bushwackers had some horn players on cymbals for a feature moment.

Scouts (and others) have previously had their pit grab cymbals and march for a while

In a marching band I taught, we had three mello players switch to flute for the ballad, then back again after.

Edited by Spandy

How about Cadets 86, soprano (I think Jeff Saktig, but maybe Rick Wygant?) picking up a tuba, but using a soprano mouthpiece.. does that count?

Edited by frachel

What is done now has often been done in the past.

86 Star...6 euphs picked up contras during "Close Encounters."

87-88 'Coats...tenors, and I think cymbals and some pit put on snares during "Autumn Leaves."

Those 2 come immediately to mind....and, of course, any number of soloists carried extra horns (Mario Fabela 84 Freelancers...TWO different horns in addition to his sop)

Didn't 87-87 VK do something similar to Bluecoats with the snares during their African Drum solo section?

'87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMnZ7tBT70

Around 1:35 for those who don't want to watch the whole thing....

'88

During the African Drum solo ( slightly different version) Around 8:35 for those who don't want to watch the whole thing....

For those who don't know what shows we've been talking about before, here are the appropriate snippets:

'86 Star

Euph -> Contra

'87 Bluecoats

Percussion -> Snare ( to snare) Yes, watch the whole thing or skip to the part you want to see which starts after 2:10...

'88 Bluecoats

[media] Percussion -> Snare

'06 Phantom [media]

Trumpets-> Baritones

Lots of other examples tat I'm too lazy to look.