Historical DCA Fashions... Or What Not To Wear

Westshoremen switched a lot over the years and corps song had "corps in" black & blue/powder blue/satin blue/probably others.

During my time we wore Blue Devils ca 74-75 unis from 76-78. And our old unis went to IIRC Defenders of Troy, NY. Saw a corps pic from 1980 or so and my jaw hit the ground when I recognized the unis.

And yes, Matadors in the Spanish PJs starting 1977.. We laughed then the show started and it was "Holy ......"..... (one of my fav shows)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Now for the unusual: In the 1981 season of DCA, Ohio Brass Factory showed up for prelims, wearing yellow hard hats and blue shop coats, over an already gaudy uniform that featured no less than 5 different colors! They should have left the hard hats and over coats on, for the entire show.

Unusual #2: Steel City Ambassadors in the same season, had a very basic uniform. It consisted of black pants and a black military styled dress shirt, with a cummerbund and a cross sash. Somebody in the corps thought the uniform "needed something". They took (from their hotel I assume) white bed sheets and pinned them to their uniform and from a distance nobody was the wiser and they had nice flowing white uniform capes!

perhaps the most cost effective uniforms of the mid 70's were those of Rochester Phoenix! I'll let somebody that wore the uniform, describe it.

I can't leave out the uniforms of the Jolly Jesters! Clown suits. Satin material. red and white, if memory serves.

When I first joined Sun 63, I worn an orange cadet style jacket with blue trim and a big blue S on the right hand side of the upper part of the jacket ,The blue pants with the orange strip where bought from the METS .there ticket takers worn them at Shea Staduim .After that came the white satin blouses orange cumberbun and orange & white drop sash .Then the cadet jackets white with blue & orange trim .The last time I worn that uniform was in 1974 ,as Drum major .After that the white satin blouses came back all throught the 70s .

What year was the show at Shea Stadium put on by the New York News paper ? was that in 62 or later.

I am also a fan of the old-version Skyliners, cadet-style uniforms/shakos. Also agree with Fran, Sunrisers' 60s cadet-style uniforms were really attractive, even more so, to me, than Skyliners.

In a somewhat related matter, besides Empire Statesmen, what other corps competed in DCA without headwear? As much as I enjoyed (and miss) Empire Statesmen, I was never a fan of the 'look' of corps not wearing hats. My all-time preference for corps will remain shakos, although we seem to see less and less of these.

Off the top of my head.. Govies have no headgear....

• Like 2

GEEZ, I must be getting old! How could I ever have trouble remembering those two?

By the way, John -

What would you call the headwear of the old Pittsburgh Rockets? It was black in color and I would refer to them as helmets, but I remember them as being pretty unique. Any idea? Rockets are another past corps that does not get enough mention. I always thouight they were pretty strong.

• Like 1