Historical DCA Fashions... Or What Not To Wear

BigW sez: Someone mentioned the Cabs' unis- I had a lengthy conversation (the last one I really had, sadly) with William "Windy" Wildemore where he said the Cabs' unis were based on another Senior corps from Florida, I believe. George H. would definitely be a help with that.

I believe the uni was based on the California Don's from San Gabriel ... Cos saw them (maybe at Nats) and got permission to replicate their uni ... at least, that's the story I remember ... I think there used to be a story about how the uni came into being on the Cabs website somewhere ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

BigW sez: Someone mentioned the Cabs' unis- I had a lengthy conversation (the last one I really had, sadly) with William "Windy" Wildemore where he said the Cabs' unis were based on another Senior corps from Florida, I believe. George H. would definitely be a help with that.

I believe the uni was based on the California Don's from San Gabriel ... Cos saw them (maybe at Nats) and got permission to replicate their uni ... at least, that's the story I remember ... I think there used to be a story about how the uni came into being on the Cabs website somewhere ...

If I recall correctly, it was the Americanos who influenced the look as well. They were founded as Sons of the American Legion in the 1930's---initially wearing the Spanish themed uniform from the onset

Edited by bill

From the Cab's Historical page:

A primary goal of the newly formed corps was to be different from all the others. The concept of Latin, or Spanish style uniform was agreed upon and the corps appeared for the first time in the now familiar Caballero uniform competing in their first field competition in Trenton, New Jersey on July 20th, 1947.

Jim Costello's father, the late James Sr. Was largely responsible for the design. He had seen a small corps in San Raphael, California with a similar uniform and thought it might work well for the Caballeros back home in New Jersey. Obviously it did.

1941Americanos.jpg

Rick Carpenter, who brought the Americanos back in 1980, claimed that there was a letter in the corps' archives from Post 199 asking permission to copy the Appleton S.A.L. uniforms.

I assume the dingle ball look never flew in Hawthorne NJ. But one of these hats still survives. It is green.

Edited by HornsUp
  • Like 1

Maybe not the Cabs, but I believe the dingleberries were part of the original Chachos unis in the early 60's ...

Maybe not the Cabs, but I believe the dingleberries were part of the original Chachos unis in the early 60's ...

What I was thinking. And thanks all for the clarification. I just found it interesting while talking to Windy that someone else had come up with the idea first.