Kilties

The current Corps is not the Jr. Kilties. It's not even the Sr. Kilties the founding members created. It's something else. It's not successful. The scores and placements verify that fact. Time to put personal agendas on the shelf and allow the corps to be successful. simple as that.

• Like 3

I'll defend the Great Lakes Brew Fest.

It is a first-class event held at the Racine Zoo on the scenic shore of Lake Michigan. It's about tasting craft/artisan brews -- not some college beer bash (provided pint glasses have special "pour lines" servers must abide by). You wait in line talking to people about -- beer -- and when you get your taste of that brew, it's just a few ounces in the bottom of that glass. The "serious" brew tasters will sip a little, and sometimes spit it out -- and rinse the glass before moving to the next. They are not there to get drunk; they are there to taste. Yes, there are the others that are there for the "Good Cheer!" Tickets are expensive, so your crowd is a well-behaved sort. They take this seriously. For many it is their hobby.

Exactly correct.

That's what craft-brew festivals are all about. They are great events for folks who like really good beer.

If you consider Bud, Coors, or Miller to be "really good beer"... than you probably should not attend. :tongue:

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that the people who are participating in this discussion A: are genuinely interesting in seeing the Kilties succeed and B: will at least make an effort to reach out to the Kilties organization and offer their ideas and/or support. Otherwise, there's really zero point to this thread.

• Like 3

Exactly correct.

That's what craft-brew festivals are all about. They are great events for folks who like really good beer.

If you consider Bud, Coors, or Miller to be "really good beer"... than you probably should not attend. :tongue:

I'll echo that- the theme "Good Beer, Good Cheer" definitely rings true.

I personally feel what has to happen is for you to follow the model of what CorpsVets did. They dropped the CorpVets senior image, renamed themselves Atlanta CV, started aggressively recruiting at the HS level, and let it be know to anyone wishing to audition that if you could not keep up the physical stamina, you were not part of the field show. Lots of ageing vets, some with 10 to 15 years in the corps, found themselves sidelined, but moving forward comes with casualties.

This year's parade in Rochester suggested another way they could have rebranded themselves: they were listed as the "Corvettes".

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

It's a one-day event that generates $50-60K (net) for Kilties (from what I recall). I'm not aware of any other fundraiser that can make that much in one day (yes, it takes months to prepare). Economic impact studies have shown (hotel/motel/restaurant/retail) that it pumps SERIOUS money into the Racine County economy. There is a long list of sponsors of the event, from the Chamber of Commerce to the Public Transit company to the local funeral home. It's a big deal for Racine. NONE OF THE KILTIES ARE ALLOWED TO TASTE ANY BEER during the fest -- as they are all busy working the event -- from ticket operations to hauling and delivering endless loads of ice and emptying spillage buckets, selling raffle tickets, cleaning, etc. I think you should all have the chance to experience it. It's a first-rate, high-profile event.

Yes, that sounds like a very impressive one-day fundraising event for an organization of Kilties' size. Thanks for sharing those details.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

'Galen", "Reaching out to the corps with suggestions and ideas" was accomplished, a few days ago. I can assure you that as a former member and one who began with the corps in 1993/94, I wish to see the corps become a successful competative drum corps. More importantly, I wish to see it become a corps that the Jr. Alumni, the all age alumni, the current members, fans and community of Racine can equally be proud of. I can't speak for the others involved in this discussion, but I'm fairly certain they also want the same. Conversations such as the one herein are important and bring to light, valid discussion points.

• Like 1

while having never marched there, I raised a concern 2/3 years ago, and was blasted. I still wish them success

I see that and you see that but the image is that you are still just a beer guzzling bunch of ole senior farts that like to smoke, drink and party all the time. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's reality.

If a new image is what you seek then a new fundraising/ sponcor that does not involve adult beverages needs to be reached for. You can't be half pregnant . Attracting kids and more importantly attracting kids parents with the checkbook is what is important here. A parent is going to be on the fence when they hear about their kid wanting to March with a corps full of older men that are known to be party animals. And then when they go to the website and the first thing they see is Beerfest 2015 is the main sponsor it's bound to turn a few parents off.

That image of the Kilties has not been the reality for at least 10 years.

By the way, Beer festivals are a very popular and growing phenomenon. I dont know what you think the Kilties do at ours but we generally work it and do not celebrate in the least until the festival is over and everything has been cleaned up. The 90's Kilties were definitely hard partiers but that group is completely gone.