Kilties

That image of the Kilties has not been the reality for at least 10 years.

By the way, Beer festivals are a very popular and growing phenomenon. I dont know what you think the Kilties do at ours but we generally work it and do not celebrate in the least until the festival is over and everything has been cleaned up. The 90's Kilties were definitely hard partiers but that group is completely gone.

I think perhaps my words and my intent got lost there.

Its not the reality of where the Kilties are at but the Image of a Brewfest that will ring true with Kilties haters. I hater I am not. A fan I am.

when I clicked on the link provided the very first image that popped up was a large group of people holding up beer mugs in cheer mode.

Someone wishing to Derail the Kilties or point negativly to the Kilties would use this image as "well there go the Kilties again"

That was my only point.

Sorry if you or anyone took it any other way.

I can slightly sympathize with the Kilties recent shows. While I do not know large #'s of people who are in alumni Corps a few that I have talked with often wish there were some type of competition involved, as an incentive to keep the lines straight and present a clean show. However they do not want to do the style of show that most DCA corps do today. Has DCA ever proposed a judged competitive Alumni corps completion, where maybe corps agreed to limited practices, and a different set of rules so that older people could compete and get judged, but to a different standard than their younger more fit completion ? I know alumni with some exceptions start off doing some sort of drill then eventually wind up doing less and less drill. Some form of judging might motivate them to do full shows and maybe some would be willing to compete with Kilties in that type of a show.

I can slightly sympathize with the Kilties recent shows. While I do not know large #'s of people who are in alumni Corps a few that I have talked with often wish there were some type of competition involved, as an incentive to keep the lines straight and present a clean show. However they do not want to do the style of show that most DCA corps do today. Has DCA ever proposed a judged competitive Alumni corps completion, where maybe corps agreed to limited practices, and a different set of rules so that older people could compete and get judged, but to a different standard than their younger more fit completion ? I know alumni with some exceptions start off doing some sort of drill then eventually wind up doing less and less drill. Some form of judging might motivate them to do full shows and maybe some would be willing to compete with Kilties in that type of a show.

It's an interesting idea... but I'm not sure there would be many takers among the alumni corps.

Many of the folks I know in the various alumni corps... I certainly can't speak for all of them... are in those corps because they have put their "judged competition" days behind them, for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

It's an interesting idea... but I'm not sure there would be many takers among the alumni corps.

Many of the folks I know in the various alumni corps... I certainly can't speak for all of them... are in those corps because they have put their "judged competition" days behind them, for a variety of reasons.

Got that right Fran ... there have been a few attempts to organize the Alumni Corps into "competing" units ... to my knowledge, every proposal of that nature has been shot down by the corps ... and loudly at that ... the closest thing to a competition was in 2006 when someone put up several thousand dollars to to be awarded to the top 3 corps at the Alumni Spectacular, as voted on by fans ... it did not go over well with the corps ... I don't think it was ever done again ... the beauty of the Alumni movement, now in its 20th+ year (with some corps like Archie and the CT Alumni having performed for 30+ years), is the freedom and flexibility the corps operate with ... their only constraint (besides $$$) is limiting performances to 17-20 minutes at most shows ...

:-)

Got that right Fran ... there have been a few attempts to organize the Alumni Corps into "competing" units ... to my knowledge, every proposal of that nature has been shot down by the corps ... and loudly at that ... the closest thing to a competition was in 2006 when someone put up several thousand dollars to to be awarded to the top 3 corps at the Alumni Spectacular, as voted on by fans ... it did not go over well with the corps ... I don't think it was ever done again ... the beauty of the Alumni movement, now in its 20th+ year (with some corps like Archie and the CT Alumni having performed for 30+ years), is the freedom and flexibility the corps operate with ... their only constraint (besides $$$) is limiting performances to 17-20 minutes at most shows ...

:-)

I remember that well, Andy. To be fair, it was NOT DCA's idea, but an idea DCA couldn't refuse. The benefactor's intention was good and I'm sure the money was appreciated, just the same.

One of the reasons I feel suggestions and ideas will fall on deaf ears, is the lack of meaningful participation in this conversation, by somebody who posts a link and nothing else. The recent and current BOD have a history of assuming a defensive posture whenever approached. Silence is not golden.

• Like 1

On the Kilties matter . . .

I was depressed to find Kilties to be smaller this year. Although, being smaller in number is one consequence of today's economy, I'm sure. Kilties are not the first corps to experience this, as we have seen. For years, I always considered Kilties to be one of DCA's biggest attractions, no matter where they placed in scoring. The look, the tradition, the typical Midwestern 'nice people' quality of it all, never failed to satisfy.

For some reason, the group lost a significant amount of people last winter. Was it Scott Stewart leaving? I really don't know. I DO know, a difficult economy, like this one, could not have helped Kilties pick-up the pieces. That will be a challenge. I also want to remind everyone, my Buccaneers were very close to folding not so long ago. Things changed, didn't they?

All my best to the Kilties!

I believe things changed because the direction of the Buccaneers changed. I have heard time and time again that the Kilties leadership does not want to change direction. Instead they keep turning out shows that wouldn't be considered competitive 20+ years ago it seems. Sadly they have become the joke of the circuit. IMO that does an extreme disservice to the portion of the membership who really do put their all in it to make it the best they can for themselves and others within the corps.