Kilties

But would they accept the help?

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

John, I am not really talking about me as just an instructor, I suppose. Instruction should come from chosen local technicians IMO. But having an instructional and conceptual program that is designed to make a DCA corps competitive is more what I was thinking. Because of my affiliations in Wisconsin at Pioneer, I became to know many very good teachers that could immediately affect the quality of musicianship and marching. But alas, with Pioneer, they could only do what was allowed because of administrative policy, attendance, membership numbers and time constraints. Had Pio competed in DCA during those they would have been a top 5 corps I believe. I say that with experience, because I would go and work with top five corps after tour was done for a direct comparison.

I like my role at the White Sabers, so it doesn't matter I guess. At White Sabers, I am in the loop through picking a show idea, which I have considerable weight in, musical design, where nothing really gets handed out without approval or at least suggestions to approach, consultation in visual coordination with musical ideas, etc...I don't actually write the book, but I have a lot to do with what the book is, and how it is constructed with DCA effects programmed at the right times. Also, I do not have to be there for the corps to be successful because every teacher there are students of mine or previous colleagues at some other corps. When I go to a practice, they ask me to run ensemble rehearsals from the box, and take nearly all suggestions I make, not just for the brass line. There is total respect from the staff because of the experience I can offer them as far as being a winner at all levels of DCA. I am not the program coordinator nor a designer, but a design and instructional consultant to a corps with a great bunch of teachers and members.

So, you are right, my instruction alone cannot make the Kilties a finalist in consecutive years. I just get mad every year when I see them at prelims, knowing that they wont make finals again with what they are doing.

DA

• Like 2

So, you are right, my instruction alone cannot make the Kilties a finalist in consecutive years. I just get mad every year when I see them at prelims, knowing that they wont make finals again with what they are doing.

DA

The Kilties need to follow the Buccaneers model of rebuilding, as has been mentioned before in this thread, or the Fusion Core model. It starts with administration. Until that problem (whatever it is) is solved, they cannot move on to design team or staff, let alone membership. Look at all of the corps that have had competitive success, or that have successfully rebuilt their corps...they all have one thing in common...a solid administration with attainable goals.

• Like 2

I'm pleased at the more recent direction of this thread. Positive ideas and words. They had their banquet today, with annual meeting and election to fill current Member-at-Large seats and a vacant, mid-term, Vice President position. I did not attend banquet, and have not heard yet what topics or discussions took place other than the election. I wish them well with whatever plan can result in turnout at December Camp/Open House. Here's to whatever can change for the better in 2015. WWBD!

Edited by dannyboy

A great way to do that would be to get staff members who teach in schools and can recruit from their own programs. I know they have Craig Mason on staff and he's done a good job with their pit over the years. More staff members with his level of experience and connections would be great to get.

Typically, It's the staff members who can be most effective, in recruiting talent to the program. Casting a wide net is not the solution. Any attempt to turn a program around must follow a well thought out and coordinated plan, that starts with the top of the organization.

• Like 1