Kilties

Not only is it imperative that Kilties decide exactly what they want to be but also decide on what will be the criteria for success. I think that bar has been lowering each year since 2008.

And frankly I think its time for new blood from top to bottom. If the intention is competitiveness in DCA Open Class then that goal is not being reached, not for some time. Doing the same thing with the same people is not going to improve that.

• Like 3

Got that right Fran ... there have been a few attempts to organize the Alumni Corps into "competing" units ... to my knowledge, every proposal of that nature has been shot down by the corps ... and loudly at that ... the closest thing to a competition was in 2006 when someone put up several thousand dollars to to be awarded to the top 3 corps at the Alumni Spectacular, as voted on by fans ... it did not go over well with the corps ... I don't think it was ever done again ... the beauty of the Alumni movement, now in its 20th+ year (with some corps like Archie and the CT Alumni having performed for 30+ years), is the freedom and flexibility the corps operate with ... their only constraint (besides $$$) is limiting performances to 17-20 minutes at most shows ...

:-)

Not to derail the conversation but wasn't there mention of one of the corps caught stuffing the ballot boxes or something?? I seem to remember something about so,e programs turning up missing with the ballots in them???

not true that Pioneer has more talent in the brass line. Maybe percussion, Jeff, but the Kilts brass line is very talented.

That being said, I think I could help the Kilties.

DA

of that I have no doubt

Do we really need an entire thread that does nothing but trash another corps? Come on folks.

My mama always told me that if you didn't have anything good to say...don't say anything.

Dan

I don't see anyone trashing the corps. I see a lot of people that love them that want to see success from the corps. a quality product. A ring? Hey great, but at least competitive.

People that come to prelims are the true diehards. When people get up to skip a corps at prelims, that's a sign

• Like 1

@ Dan D, the criticism from alumni has been pretty muted for a long time. The organization has never been particularly interested in the opinions of people who are no longer in the corps for a long time, despite their having the best intentions for the success of the group. This off season is actually kind of unique in that people are speaking out. There comes a point when speaking out is required. Will it do any good? My guess is not. My fondest wish is to be completely wrong about this. It certainly wouldnt be the first time.

Maybe thats just the ebb and flow of DCA corps, big one year small the next. Considering how many vital corps have gone for the permanent dirt nap in the past 10 years I guess we have to congratulate the Kilties on simply being around. I speak only for myself but I think that in every endeavor when the people arent getting it done, you thank them for all their hard work and get new people.

• Like 1

Do we really need an entire thread that does nothing but trash another corps? Come on, folks.

What Jeff said. I think most of the posts in this thread discuss ways in which Kilties could become a better corps.

What Jeff said. I think most of the posts in this thread discuss ways in which Kilties could become a better corps.

Absolutely. The Kilties are the one corps that everyone wants to love, but many just don't. They make is really hard, and that's a bummer. What makes it doubly frustrating is that the organization has a ton of class, and that lends us to all want them to succeed.

• Like 1