Crown Percussion

7th place was hugely philanthropic. I bit my tongue all summer long but I'm sorry they did not impress me one bit.

7th was a gift IMO

• Like 3

This is perhaps the most profound post of the day here on DCP.

People need to get a grip.

My only answer to this is: Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

I 3/4 agree, Id love to see their percussion on Sanford level, but I thought they improved over 2013 and 2012 by a bit and deserve a little more credit. To each their own.

I 3/4 agree, Id love to see their percussion on Sanford level, but I thought they improved over 2013 and 2012 by a bit and deserve a little more credit. To each their own.

I just think that we're splitting hairs at this level. All of these corps are very good compared to other marching percussion groups around the round. I would guess that 7th out of quite possibly 100,000 groups around the world in ANYWAY says that you're pretty darned good. Heck, 7th out of 100 groups is astounding.

For people to not acknowledge that Crown isn't at least very good is certainly not a smart thing. Not saying you of course, but we do sometimes get caught up in the heat of things and forget how good these groups are...

Just so you know, the rest of my post was another George Carlin quote that just seemed appropriate to include here ( since I'm doing George Carlin quotes. You can blame the waffle comment I read earlier. It got me started for today).

I just think that we're splitting hairs at this level. All of these corps are very good compared to other marching percussion groups around the round. I would guess that 7th out of quite possibly 100,000 groups around the world in ANYWAY says that you're pretty darned good. Heck, 7th out of 100 groups is astounding.

For people to not acknowledge that Crown isn't at least very good is certainly not a smart thing. Not saying you of course, but we do sometimes get caught up in the heat of things and forget how good these groups are...

Just so you know, the rest of my post was another George Carlin quote that just seemed appropriate to include here ( since I'm doing George Carlin quotes. You can blame the waffle comment I read earlier. It got me started for today).

I fully concur, Jeff. Pretty sad state of affairs when finishing 5th, 6th, or 7th translates to "you suck." I'm all for standards...but that seems a little bit harsh to me.

• Like 1

I actually don't use word awful or not good. The standard they should have is championship contender. Until Crown meets this standard, they will stagnate or fall out of the top five, which is sad. The GE and music captions are too integrated for percussion not to seriously harm GE. I actually think 7th was a gift as well. But good for Crown for making adjustments.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi

I actually don't use word awful or not good. The standard they should have is championship contender. Until Crown meets this standard, they will stagnate or fall out of the top five, which is sad. The GE and music captions are too integrated for percussion not to seriously harm GE. I actually think 7th was a gift as well. But good for Crown for making adjustments.

No you don't use "awful" or "not good". You use "terrible", as seen in the "Staff merrigoround" thread

bqYcfYP.jpg

• Like 2

I find it hilarious that some posters are so blind to their bias.

When their corps gets what they believe is an appropriate score, the judges are right and the corps deserved it.

When another corps gets a score they disagree with, the judges are corrupt and gave them a gift.

Sorry -- you can't have it both ways.

Either you believe in the system or you don't -- you don't get to pick and chose scores. You take them as a whole or you reject them as a whole.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I, for one, thought Crown was better than last year. The battery book was better. I thought their execution was improved. They could have used a bit more razzle dazzle in the muffler feature. The body movement in this show was just OVERDONE. I would have liked to see more content in the pit. However, they righted the ship this year. Crown alum should be happy about that. It takes time to create a percussion section that is as prolific as their brass.

All in all, it was much better, but the sections in front of them were outstanding. SCV was just sickeningly good this year. BD would have swept all the captions and broke 100 had it not been for them. :ninja: (JK) I mean, as clean as the Cadets were with their paradiddleapalooza, all they managed was a fourth place finish-a strong fourth place finish IMHO. That just shows how tight the race was this year. I could argue that in another year Bluecoats might have taken the Sanford. They were great!

Edited by wallace

I thought this year was an improvement over the last two years, at least from an execution standpoint.

Percussion was stacked this year though.

This was a common argument last year as well. Percussion is always stacked. The standard is high among the top 12. Crown has lived in 6th or 7th the past two or three years, and its not because all of a sudden percussion programs have gotten it together and left them behind. They were middle of the finals pack. It is what it is. Lets stop with the "everyone gets a trophy" point of view and actually talk about what's going on. While the rest of the corps is in the top 4 or 5 in their captions, the percussion consistently places lower. We can debate the reasons for that ad nauseam, but the fact remains, they weren't as good as the other groups ahead of them. Whether that is a good percussion section among a lot of good percussion sections, or unacceptable considering the calibre of the rest of the corps is simply a matter of point of view.

However, a lot want to insinuate that "any other year" Crown would be higher in percussion. No, they wouldn't. The fact that they haven't been is evidence of that. We've seen a similar product from that caption the past few years. And yes, recruitment is part of the problem. I know of several members that marched there for a year, and left to go to other programs that wouldn't place as highly overall because they felt they could get more out of another organization. When you're a championship level corps, and you have members treating you as a stepping stone in a specific caption, that's a problem.

Don't get me wrong. The members work hard. I don't claim to know why the section has struggled. I'm simply pointing out that those struggles are real and regardless of how we try to justify it, the fact remains that it has in fact struggled to get into the mix with the top level programs with any kind of consistency. Who knows if these staff changes will help. Aungst certainly has a proven track record of success at every level. I'm sure he'll put together a staff that is more than capable. The smart thing about the move is the fact that Aungst is a name everyone knows. His sticks are commonly used, he's still running one of the top scholastic programs in the country in indoor season. The kind of members a championship drum corps wants to attract will absolutely know who he is and it will be a draw. I'm not the biggest fan of Crown's shows as of late, but I am a fan of any drum corps, and hope that this coming summer will mark a step in the right direction for Crown's percussion program.

• Like 4