IRS complaint filed against DCI?

People like me? I spelled a name wrong. Stop the presses. Meanwhile we have you who feel so self righteous as to write a whole paragraph over a misspelling? Classic. And Sad.

Oh no... you misunderstood. My " whole paragraph " was not based upon your misspelling at all.. Only a small incidental fraction of my comments there were related to your misspelling of a guy. The major thrust of my comments were that you took issue with a complaint againt an individual, who apparently you don't know from a whole in the wall, wern't close to getting his name right, and dismissed the complaint out of hand, where ( as I mentioned above ) nobody here doesn't really have enough info on this IRS complaint to determine its validity or lack thereof. I'm not attempting to have you think I'm " self righteous ". I could accuse equally of you ofthe same " self righteousness " by attempting to intervene in the defense of someone ( Acheson ) that you neither know, nor can come remotely close to spelling the name of the guy you feel compelled to defend. Neither you nor I can determine at present time the validity or not of these IRS complaints . Judging somone without the full facts could be deemed highly " self righteous " to do that.... but I never cast you in the fashion of being " self righteous". I don't have a clue if these IRS complaints are legit or not. My initial take is that there is nothing here in his complaint. But only the " self righteous " in my view, would form a total dismissal of an IRS complaint unless we know more than what we do at present. Thats my take on this, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

If we're going to go after spelling, can we go after grammar (particularly the underuse of possessive apostrophes) as well?

Sorry, couldn't resist because the door was left so wide open. :)

I'm now going back to staring at rocks.

You can stare at rocks...you can walk thru wide doors.... you can go after bad spellers... those who use bad grammar.... those who believe figure skaters on ice are a waste of good ice.... and a milllion other things....and you can decide to do none of these too.

Isn't life grand to have so many options ?

Edited by BRASSO

Competitive marching bands ARE a replacement for drum corps. You will find marching bands in places with local drum corps and without. Drum Corps started out with "giving kids something to do" except now there is literally a million things kids can do. Drum Corps is marching band and if you value kids doing something, working hard, competing in circuits, marching in parades then you should be very happy that highschool marching band has replaced small regional drum corps! If you aren't than maybe you need to reevaluate the reasons you think drum corps is "better" than highschool marching band. More kids are involved in the marching arts than ever before that's a fact for sure why does it matter if the unit is called a marching band or drum corps?! Makes no difference.

RIGHT ON CHARLIE! I totally agree!

I go to our local show every year now and man it reminds me of the big regionals back in the early 70's with bands coming from all over the northern half of the state! Go check out some of the indoor stuff. There is some real good stuff happening now. Plus we still have drum corps too!!!

• Like 1

And the (mistaken) overuse of the apostrophe to pluralize a word too - please?? Absolutely hate that one.

Chicago Bulls, not Chicago Bull's

I particularly love it when someone does that for one plural word in a sentence, and not for another - as if there is a rhyme or reason for the error.

Sorry for the rant - carry on...

This is my main grammar pet peeve, too.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled DCP proceedings.

I dont know what is funnier. Old people arguing on message boards or even older people arguing on facebook. All i know is i got some good laughs at both

Even funnier still,, imo are young people getting their jollies going to message boards and facebook to watch old people argue.. Its like a young person going to dunkin donuts, buying a coffee, then sitting down next to the old folks that can spend all day there if they chose, to listen in to what their arguing about. I can save the young time. The women at the donut shoppe are complaining about the old men, and the old men at another table are talking about the pretty young waitress at the counter or arguing as to who has the best luncheon buffett.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Oh no... you misunderstood. My " whole paragraph " was not based upon your misspelling at all.. Only a small incidental fraction of my comments there were related to your misspelling of a guy. The major thrust of my comments were that you took issue with a complaint againt an individual, who apparently you don't know from a whole in the wall, wern't close to getting his name right, and dismissed the complaint out of hand, where ( as I mentioned above ) nobody here doesn't really have enough info on this IRS complaint to determine its validity or lack thereof. I'm not attempting to have you think I'm " self righteous ". I could accuse equally of you ofthe same " self righteousness " by attempting to intervene in the defense of someone ( Acheson ) that you neither know, nor can come remotely close to spelling the name of the guy you feel compelled to defend. Neither you nor I can determine at present time the validity or not of these IRS complaints . Judging somone without the full facts could be deemed highly " self righteous " to do that.... but I never cast you in the fashion of being " self righteous". I don't have a clue if these IRS complaints are legit or not. My initial take is that there is nothing here in his complaint. But only the " self righteous " in my view, would form a total dismissal of an IRS complaint unless we know more than what we do at present. Thats my take on this, anyway.

We know plenty that validates dismissal of Mr. Blair's complaints, Brasso.

The point is to not make more of the complaint than is actually due the complainer.

• Like 2

I think you're missing my points. Outside of DCP, my work involves education, families and youth activities in a religious setting, so I probably evaluate drum corps a bit differently. If you look at where most drum corps could be found until the 1970's, a very high percentage were from urban settings in industrial states. Many were formed to provide a healthy outlet for kids' energy and give them an opportunity to do something constructive. This was something good and positive. Today most of these areas do not have competitive marching bands. It is a more suburban activity, not necessarily affluent, but definitely suburban and in some cases rural, and in the states where marching bands rule, there were very few, if any drum corps. Speak with anyone who knows the history of drum corps and they'll probably agree with at least some if what I say and they'll agree that Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma where many excellent bands hail from were never drum corps havens and none of the best bands today hail from Revere, MA, Brooklyn, NY, or Bayonne, NJ.

Also if you take away the parents and educators who value music education out of the matching band equation, your forgetting the real movers and shakers of the school band programs. Speak with the BOA and YEA folks next summer in Indy and they'll agree with me. Yes many of the big names have drum corps backgrounds, but not the majority in all fifty states and since a good number have probably not seen a drum corps perform, they certainly don't see their efforts as merely replacing.

My purpose was to recognize the merits of both activities. Seeing marching bands as a "replacement" diminishes what they are accomplishing and diminishes what drum corps has contributed. Also replace in my opinion means putting something in place of something that previously existed, and in my collection of old photos I have a marching band dating back to 1908, long before Cadets, BAC, Madison, or Racine Scouts. Marching bands did exist before drum corps so they are not replacing anything, instead they are being given recognition.

Your perception on the values of drum corps/marching bands is very very twisted. There is nothing exclusive to a "marching band" that makes it a "suburban activity" and there is nothing about drum corps that makes it more valuable than marching band because it *was* mostly in "urban areas". Unless you think the mission statement and location of a marching unit decides if its drum corps/marching band? That's silly.

Right now we're arguing your perceived connotations of what a "Drum corps" and "marching band" are and what personal significance it means to you. That's fine, but in an objective reality the fall of local drum corps and the rise of local marching bands at schools is *not* a coincidence. Marching bands and drum corps have the same values, same motivations, same missions as ever. Would you be opposed if an inner city school district decided to start a marching band over a drum corps? You wouldn't be so stubborn as to deride the values of that organization over an inner city drum corps? You trying to make a distinction between corps vs. band is an appeasement to your personal experience but it doesn't shine true to what is the reality now.

Saying marching bands have "replaced" drum corps is not saying anything about what drum corps meant to you in the past or the values that drum corps has taught you and the good it has done to many kids. Its just a statement of fact about the current state of the marching arts.

And sorry for taking the thread hostage... IRS guy is crazy, won't take it seriously until the IRS does. :)

Edited by charlie1223

Your perception on the values of drum corps/marching bands is very very twisted. There is nothing exclusive to a "marching band" that makes it a "suburban activity" and there is nothing about drum corps that makes it more valuable than marching band because it *was* mostly in "urban areas". Unless you think the mission statement and location of a marching unit decides if its drum corps/marching band? That's silly.

Right now we're arguing your perceived connotations of what a "Drum corps" and "marching band" are and what personal significance it means to you. That's fine, but in an objective reality the fall of local drum corps and the rise of local marching bands at schools is *not* a coincidence. Marching bands and drum corps have the same values, same motivations, same missions as ever. Would you be opposed if an inner city school district decided to start a marching band over a drum corps? You wouldn't be so stubborn as to deride the values of that organization over an inner city drum corps? You trying to make a distinction between corps vs. band is an appeasement to your personal experience but it doesn't shine true to what is the reality now.

Saying marching bands have "replaced" drum corps is not saying anything about what drum corps meant to you in the past or the values that drum corps has taught you and the good it has done to many kids. Its just a statement of fact about the current state of the marching arts.

And sorry for taking the thread hostage... IRS guy is crazy, won't take it seriously until the IRS does. :)

Whoa! Back over here! C'mon back, c'mon back.

The thread is about some knucklehead who's making absurd claims about DCI's business practices.

I see what you're saying; that we don't know whether DCI does in fact violate IRS rules. But nobody has said they do. That's a different question from whether Blair's argument is invalid. We have plenty of evidence that it is.

Consider the argument:

I am a fish.

Cheese is a gas.

Ringo was a great drummer.

---

Therefore: Grass is green.

Even if the conclusion is true, the argument is still invalid. Even if DCI violates IRS rules, Blair is still a loon because his argument is loony.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 3