IRS complaint filed against DCI?

I see what you're saying; that we don't know whether DCI does in fact violate IRS rules. But nobody has said they do. That's a different question from whether Blair's argument is invalid. We have plenty of evidence that it is.

Consider the argument:

I am a fish.

Cheese is a gas.

Ringo was a great drummer.

---

Therefore: Grass is green.

Even if the conclusion is true, the argument is still invalid. Even if DCI violates IRS rules, Blair is still a loon because his argument is loony.

For a fish, you type very well.

• Like 1

RIGHT ON CHARLIE! I totally agree!

I go to our local show every year now and man it reminds me of the big regionals back in the early 70's with bands coming from all over the northern half of the state! Go check out some of the indoor stuff. There is some real good stuff happening now. Plus we still have drum corps too!!!

Absolutely! I'm totally with you guys...

Absolutely! I'm totally with you guys...

Yeah, it doesn't matter, corps, band, whatever. It's all just kids getting better, right? And you're right, those band shows are great these days. Those shows... What is the term for those shows again ... oh yeah ... Corps Style! CORPS STYLE! Ha! Eat that, Bandos!!!!

Er, I'm ah, sorry, I don't know what came over me, um. sorry...

• Like 1

And the (mistaken) overuse of the apostrophe to pluralize a word too - please?? Absolutely hate that one.

Chicago Bulls, not Chicago Bull's

I particularly love it when someone does that for one plural word in a sentence, and not for another - as if there is a rhyme or reason for the error.

Sorry for the rant - carry on...

stuf like dat and utter stuf gets me da most earataded, cuz i's kan't stands no onez who gets on dat dare publix places where day writie somethin and day don't knoow nuthin bout any speling or punkuation i calls dem edukated idiot's.

stuf like dat and utter stuf gets me da most earataded, cuz i's kan't stands no onez who gets on dat dare publix places where day writie somethin and day don't knoow nuthin bout any speling or punkuation i calls dem edukated idiot's.

-2 points for using "dat dere" when you could have irritated everyone with the there/their/they're peeve,

But... +5 points for "dere" rendering the there/their/they're conundrum superfluous.

Yawn. I suspect you read the code you referenced? It deals with access to the entity's filings. DCI states in their filing that they will make available the 990s to the directors via .pdf and the fact that we're seeing them on Guidestar is proof that they are made public. There's no there, there.

Further it talks about "quid-pro-quo" and the true value of donations made to the org. I can speak from personal experience that DCI complies from this notification. Interestingly, the IRS would be more interested in my personal donation deductions that whether DCI fulfilled the required statement of value. After all, I'm the donor making the contribution and taking the tax deduction. Again, the code reference you provided is not related to Mr. Blair, even if its reading does make most people quake a bit.

Surely, nobody wants to run afoul of the IRS authorities, but there's no reason to suggest that the random "satire" posted by a single person with a long history of apparent vendetta and vocal personal opposition is sufficient to raise the even mild curiosity by the IRS.

Here are the facts of the 990s, despite Mr. Blair's contentions:

- DCI spends along the lines of 85% of its revenue on its program mission.

- The only unrelated business taxable income that DCI produces is the DCI Magazine ("Unrelated"? Umm).

- The DCI executives are not paid unreasonably high salaries (even as many suggest they are unreasonably LOW).

- The organization is advised and moderated by a board made up of the activity's participant corps who vote, agree, and command their executive to fulfill its wishes.

- The contractors and advisors that DCI uses are experienced insiders of the activity. While the efficacy of using any particular provider might be discussion-worthy inside DCI, it is not the case from the public documents that the costs incurred in the hiring them represent an undue favoritism or attempt to enrich individuals at the expense of the organization.

- DCI files a 990 schedule-O in which they state: "Every officer, director, and all employees are required to fill out an annual conflict of interest questionnaire that is monitored and revierwed (sic) by the audit committee."

Even a cursory view of the 990s by a curious IRS examiner will (IMO) verify that there is no "there" there. Nothing to see here.

I have to say this had really made my morning. I work for a mid-size ($40 million annual) 501©(6) that has a related 501©(3) and we have a few nutjobs like this guy who make it their mission in life to complain that we sould lose our not-for-profit status because we bring in too much revenue. Garfield has summed it up very well - the IRS won't even look at this. I've yet to comment in the 990 threads (again - great analysis Garfield) but my reaction is that Acheson does a good job for the organization and if anything he is under compensated vs industry standards. A little more reserves would be nice ... but I digress.

Let us assume for a moment that there is a judging conspiracy. And let us assume for a moment that Cesario has some conflict of interest. Neither of which I beleive, btw. Still ... the IRS won't care. This would be a matter for the DCI Board of Directors to handle according to their bylaws. Paying industry insiders to procide work for the organization is not only common - it is expected. They are called 'subject matter experts' and the organization has a fiduciary duty to spend their money using the best resources in the industry.

I've worked in the non-profit industry for 18 years and 990 complaints happen to just about every organization. All (nearly) all of them are as dumb as this one.

• Like 4