From Neighborhoods kids to Music Majors

First, don't give up on this post too early. I humbly submit that it gets better towards the end. Secondly, I will apologize as I'm sure these questions have been put forth many times in the past but as a 2nd year DCP member I am curious as to how they were resolved, though I believe I have a pretty good idea.

How did Drum Corp survive the transition from touring 2 or 3 weeks a summer to what is now 8 weeks each summer? How was it able to survive what had to have been a grand exodus of young working class adults who, in choosing not to go to or unable to afford college found themselves unable to get, understandably, the 8 weeks off from work that was now necessary in order to march Drum Corp. How were these members replaced? I'd also would like to ask those of you reading this post, those of you who marched in my day, if you would have been able to afford to march in present day Drum Corp? Could you afford to go to college and then choose to not work over the summer but instead pony up thousands of dollars to march bugle band for the summer? I was from a working class family of 8 children who grew up apx.10 miles north of Boston. In 1977 their were 5 of us marching in the Boston Crusader's ranging in age from 12 to 21. My family would not have been able to afford to pay for my 2 younger brothers to march in this present day as I believe that bill would have come to over $7,200? Yes? Myself and my 2 older brothers would not have been able to march as we did not attend college so we would not have been able to get the 8 weeks off from work to play bugle band and even if we did go to college we would have had to work the summer in order to offset the cost of tuition. So the 5 boys, the youngest of whom went on to attend the New England Conservatory of Music, would be denied the opportunity of performing in present day drum corp. Or am I wrong? Again, how many of you who marched in my day could have afforded to march in present day Drum Corp? If your answer is that you would not have been able to afford to march then that begs the question as to why you continue to follow an organisation of elitists that would not allow you as a member. I have heard some speak of present day Drum Corp as "The big leagues" I guess in doing so they are equating it with professional sports or at least college sports. I suppose this gives us the excuse that we are basically watching Monday Night Football when we are watching our "team" perform in Allentown. So if Drum Corp is now the Big Leagues then I ask where are the local little leagues? Where are the Pop Warner games? Pee-Wee hockey? Youth Basketball leagues? I suppose they could say that they are all in their school bands which only means they are no longer in little class "C" or class "B" corps. It's their cop out which, and you know how this works, is our cop out as well. Our cop out? Our cop out is this "It was them that did it not us." But guess what? It was us. We let it happen. We let them do it. You let them do it. You did nothing about it but complain about "them" just like everyone else who is not "them" complains about "them." We were the ones who said..."you know what we should do" so as to fool ourselves that we were actually going to do something about "them." But that was never going to happen. So in standing idly by we have denied 1000's of working class kids and young adults the experiences that we had as kids and young adults. They won't have a clue as to who Copeland or Stravinsky is. They won't have the experience as we did of traveling this amazing Country ang they won't get to perform in front of thousands of people as we did.

So how was it that we allowed "them" to change the amount of tour from 2 or 3 weeks to 8? When did we allow them to turn their backs on all of those working class kids that we use to be? When did this occurred? When it did occur did you make sure that you complained about "them" and said "do you know what we should do?" I have another question and it is this...doesn't it ever get old? I mean your at it all the time on DCP complaining about "them" and that guy with the Cadets. You know it's really quite simple as to how this works. It goes like this ...Some people become the them while most people complain about "them" and even though the complainers far out number the "them" they are the complainers and will actually never do anything about "them." So in allowing "them" to be "them" and not you it gives you something to complain about and complaining is so much easier than doing besides in taking any action their is always the possibility you may end up standing in front of "them" having to explain yourself which can be very uncomfortable and who needs that. And we also know how things can get worse than merely uncomfortable as that guy from the Cadets could suddenly stand up and start yelling at you and this would cause you to turn all red and make you feel so ashamed in front of all of your fellow complainers and bring back all those bad memories from school. It is so much better to just complain and from time to time say "you know what we should do."

I tell you what, I'll take some of the blame for whats happened to Drum Corp. Even though I wasn't around perhaps I should have been. Anyways, do you know what I love.....times up as the answer is the G7! As if Drum Corp wasn't elitist enough they now have the G7. But do you know what I love even more....not quick enough as the answer is the Boston Crusaders, yes that corp that I marched in as a youth, that Corp that my brothers and I would not presently be able to afford to march in, that Corp that I doubt anyone who marched in when I did would be able to afford to march in now. This elitist organisation that calls themselves The Boston Crusaders this summer went all Orwellian on this concept of a G7. What magnificent hypocrisy! Yes, those G7 animals are more equal than others but only just slightly more equal to the more than equal animals satirizing them. I can only hope that this was self parody on the Crusader's part. Please, someone tell me that this was the case. It's as if the Crusader's or any other Corp for that matter hasn't a clue that they all a part of the ever diminishing circle jerk that is now drum corp. I would suggest that for their 75th anniversary the Crusader's do a satire on all of drum corp based on Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians"

Edited by Bsader
  • Like 1

Paragraphs are your friend.

WOW! That rant was a little hard to follow but the general sense was that you want to know why the world has changed and you paid no attention to it while it did. So in case you didn't know...the ...world...has...changed. Yup, even the DC world you have so eloquently slammed. I am most surprised that you, being an alumnus (btw, what year did you age out?) of BAC would take your bashing of them as far as you have. You've made observations, asked questions and expressed many opinions, yet I don't see much in the way of positive contribution as to how to improve what you dislike so much.

I am sorry you can't understand how things have changed and join in to help rather than bash. Be as mad as you want, hate as much as you wish, but BAC isn't your corps (or mine) anymore and it isn't your DCI anymore. There is a saying; "Adapt or Die". BAC has, and is continuing to adapt, and because of that, WILL enjoy what many corps cannot; a 75th anniversary. I for one am all for that and am happy to see them step it up to re-establish BAC as a leading DC. So please save your rants, help the corps where they need help (not only by pointing out things that #### you off) or step aside, sit down and shut up, whatever. And if you have a problem with DCI itself, I suggest the same thing. So good luck to you and watchout for kids on your lawn.

They won't have a clue as to who Copeland or Stravinsky is.

But I bet they are familiar with Copland.

In fact, at the local high school competition last Saturday, I heard kids (some from affluent suburbia, some from working class suburbia, some from mixed class urban) playing Stravinsky, Respighi, Puccini, Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy, Tichelli, Whitacre (and plenty of others - I think Copland was absent from this competition, which given how much it was prevalent in DCI this past summer, was not a bad thing - I'm sure he'll pop up at future compeitions).

Also, for a corps like the one I have been organizing for the past several months, we have no intention of touring, or spending heavily on uniforms, etc., and money will not prevent anyone from marching with us, and becoming even more familiar with great music than they already are. And one reason I am doing this is because I agree with you that there needs to be a Drum Corps option that (a) doesn't tour expensively, yet (b) isn't limited to the 9-10 weeks of HS marching band.

But instead of blaming DCI, or Boston Crusaders, all the alumni should look in the mirror and ask what they've done to create options. It's just like one of the youth sports clubs I was involved with running - we had a Travel side and Recreation side. The travel players wanted everything they could get - the best training, best competition, best uniforms, etc., - and they knew they would have to pay for it. But they had the most involved parents, and they were successful. The Recreation program, on the other hand, required much less commitment from its players, both financially and time, with very little travel, simple uniforms, etc., etc. Yet that program suffered more, because of perpetually abysmal parental involvement. You see what I am getting at here? It's up to you, and everyone else, to put our time and effort where our mouths are, if we don't want to put our money into the DCI Travel model. Everyone expects someone else to do the heavy lifting. No one says you have to tour the country to be a drum corps ... just to be a DCI Open or World Class drum corps. You can make the other options come true.

"..So in standing idly by..." "..allowed them to change"..... Well when things go bad, human nature first looks for someone to blame.

City church I used to go to is barely hanging on and has been going downhill badly for years as has the city itself. When I was on council I went to sessions to work out wha' hoppened and what could be done about it. What happened was that part of the world (cities) changed greatly since end of WWII and as the cities went downhill other enties in them went down the toliet too. What could be done was try to work thru the changes to do the best you can while the church is still around. Cuz until things go back like they used to (ain't gonna happen) best you can do is survive and do what you think is best. More I thought about it, the reasons for city churchs decline can be applied to local corps, especially ones in the decling cities.

As a 70s corps member it was a lot cheaper BITD and used eqipment was more plentiful. Not to mention more Posts and other sponsors that could help defray the costs of running a corps. I remember when Fire Companies and other non-corps groups would host shows as a big fund raiser. As costs went up the ticket proces went up to a point where less people would come and finally the plug was pulled. Corps had to go further away to make the remaining shows and their travel bill went up (as gas prices tripled). Add in a bad economy in the Northeast during the time and so much for the corps income. IMO this is a major, if not the major, cause of loss of local corps.

IOW the world changed and #### happened..... just have to do the best with what is left.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7567BC I believe I know who you are so I would advise you to be careful as to who you advise to sit down and shut up. Where were you when I was trying, on several occasions, to oust our then Director or that sadistic Drum Major of ours? I don't remember you standing up back then and contributing. It was more like you waited until they were out of the room before you had anything to say which is a bit like what's going on here. So I don't remember you making any attempts to help rescue the corp back then but I do remember you busying yourself with changing flat tire's and scheming of ways of finding more shade under that parasol you were so fixated on. It's a shame you were not as fixated with practicing your soprano as you may have developed into being at least a mediocre player and this certainly would have helped contribute to the sound of our brass section as we always had such small brass sections. It was obvious then as it is obvious now that those motivations were and are more about creating a sense of self through the Boston Crusader's, not a true self but a sycophantic creation. So while I have not learned how to adapt to changing times you, on the other hand, never needed to as you were always adapting. Always adapting but never changing.

Now for you Mr. Eleran! Thanks for helping make my point by letting our fellow DCPer's know that I misspelled Aaron Copland's name. If you don't understand what I mean by this then I'm sorry as I can't help you. Please, if you would, help me with any corrections in punctuation that may be needed as well. Having said that Mr. Eleran, you are now my hero and no I am not being sarcastic. I have advocated starting alternative smaller, local Drum Corps but having said this I will readily admit that advocating is not taking action. I am interested in the fact that you are in the process of starting a drum corp and would like to know if this is being done in the Boston area. Could you let this be known as I would gladly contribute financially and with any of my time. By the way, good job on the spelling of Respighi as I never would have got that right.

Frachel, thanks for pointing out that my post is lacking in paragraphs. I think it would be most kind of you if you would take on the role of our little teacher so as to help us to better communicate our thoughts. Of course you can always choose to continue to ignore these thoughts and focus on composition which would probably be in everyone's best interest.

JimF-LowBari I know exactly where you are coming from. I joined the Boston Crusader's in 1974 at the age of 14. The year before the Crusader's fielded 17 brass players so their was not a lot of people joining the Crusader's at that time. We marched 24 brass my first year coming in 34th place in the D.C.I. prelims. My last year was 1979 and that year we fielded 25 brass players and finished in 19th place. I know what it is like to be part of an organization that is barely surviving.

7567BC I believe I know who you are so I would advise you to be careful as to who you advise to sit down and shut up. Where were you when I was trying, on several occasions, to oust our then Director or that sadistic Drum Major of ours? I don't remember you standing up back then and contributing. It was more like you waited until they were out of the room before you had anything to say which is a bit like what's going on here. So I don't remember you making any attempts to help rescue the corp back then but I do remember you busying yourself with changing flat tire's and scheming of ways of finding more shade under that parasol you were so fixated on. It's a shame you were not as fixated with practicing your soprano as you may have developed into being at least a mediocre player and this certainly would have helped contribute to the sound of our brass section as we always had such small brass sections. It was obvious then as it is obvious now that those motivations were and are more about creating a sense of self through the Boston Crusader's, not a true self but a sycophantic creation. So while I have not learned how to adapt to changing times you, on the other hand, never needed to as you were always adapting. Always adapting but never changing.

Now for you Mr. Eleran! Thanks for helping make my point by letting our fellow DCPer's know that I misspelled Aaron Copland's name. If you don't understand what I mean by this then I'm sorry as I can't help you. Please, if you would, help me with any corrections in punctuation that may be needed as well. Having said that Mr. Eleran, you are now my hero and no I am not being sarcastic. I have advocated starting alternative smaller, local Drum Corps but having said this I will readily admit that advocating is not taking action. I am interested in the fact that you are in the process of starting a drum corp and would like to know if this is being done in the Boston area. Could you let this be known as I would gladly contribute financially and with any of my time. By the way, good job on the spelling of Respighi as I never would have got that right.

Frachel, thanks for pointing out that my post is lacking in paragraphs. I think it would be most kind of you if you would take on the role of our little teacher so as to help us to better communicate our thoughts. Of course you can always choose to continue to ignore these thoughts and focus on composition which would probably be in everyone's best interest.

JimF-LowBari I know exactly where you are coming from. I joined the Boston Crusader's in 1974 at the age of 14. The year before the Crusader's fielded 17 brass players so their was not a lot of people joining the Crusader's at that time. We marched 24 brass my first year coming in 34th place in the D.C.I. prelims. My last year was 1979 and that year we fielded 25 brass players and finished in 19th place. I know what it is like to be part of an organization that is barely surviving.

Well it is obvious you DON'T know who I am. Not that it matters anyway. You have a bug up your butt for some reason. I don't have any idea what you are talking about with flat tires and parasols. As far as playing my soprano; maybe I wasn't as talented as many other sops. There were several really good ones at the time I was marching. But I did know and play all my parts pretty #### well bubba. I also marched pretty #### well too. And not helping the corps? How about the hundreds actually thousands of dollars I put into the corps to pay for equipment out of my own pocket or sponsor a members tour. Driving people to rehearsals all the time. Volunteering my time for over 14 years doing a number of things to help the corps survive. I didn't feel the need to broadcast it.

Nice to see you slapped other people around in your response. What is your problem? Why so much anger? Do you feel cheated by the corps in some way? Did you not get enough accolades you feel you deserved? Jeez. And YOU were ousting the Director? What Director were you ousting? There seems to be a bit of revisionist history occuring here. Your follow up rant makes little sense especially the "sycophantic creation". What in the world does that mean? And yeah, I'll be careful about who I advise to sit down and shut up. Is that some kind of a threat? Unlike you, I know exactly who I was replying to.

First of all one does not need to sit down in order to shut up. Secondly, I own a Town House so I don't have a front yard and so, unfortunately for the kids, they will probably end up being disappointed if they ever do show up expecting one. By the way, what exactly did you mean by that statement? You ask me if I was threatening you. Wasn't that a threat? No? What did you mean by that? Are you advocating gang violence? I thought the Crusader's were past all that violent stuff. Anyways, as far as I'm concerned I'm just responding in kind to you as well as to the others. Revisionist history? I'm actually all about brutal honesty which certainly can come across as anger but I assure you I'm not nearly as angry as you think I am. I know that you would want to convince our other readers and contributors that I don't know who you are, but I do. (Frachel, I'm going to start another paragraph now. Please advise me if I'm doing this properly.)

I have no way of proving this but I knew that you would be reacting to a certain part of my first response to you with "maybe I wasn't as talented as many other sops." It's a perfect response. You defend yourself and elicit sympathy at the same time. I was also informed by a friend of mine, one who happen to have marched with us in the Crusader's, that if I was to write anything critical of the Crusader's in DCP to expect that 7567BC would be the first responder. It's Papa Bear Crusader to the rescue. It's a great persona that you have created and I'm sure you have been able to ingratiate yourself very nicely with Crusader management both past and present. By the way, you actually do broadcast well. You just choose to use the, I don't mean to sound my own horn but....technique. (Could you parse that for me Frachel) So, you are now in fact a member of the Crusader Hall of Fame. Yes? I suppose if you hang around long enough one can always have a shot at fame. I have found out just recently that George Bevilaqua is a member of D.C.I.'s Hall of Fame. Talk about revisionist history!

Now I have stated earlier that I am just responding in kind to you. I would never have written any of this if you hadn't responded as you did to me. If you cease with what I am sure is boring the bejeeza's out our fellow DCP followers then I will as well. (Eleran, could you help me on my spelling of bejeeza's as I'm sure it can't be right. Is it even a real word?)

Edited by Bsader

So still a whirlwind of nonsense and still slapping other posters with snarky comments. Try to spin my comments when I only ASKED if you were threatening me. That wasn't a threat of mine; just a question to you related to your obvious threat. I haven't insulted anyone like you have. You cloak your anger and insults in "brutal honesty" so you come across as gravely concerned about the future of the corps and drum corps in general. I was being honest about my playing ability as compared to other fellow sops so continue twist that if it makes you feel good about yourself. But please don't be a hypocryte when someone expresses a brutal and honest opinion. No matter how you want to spin and rant, your message comes across merely as anger. Or at some level, hypocritical.

Thanks for the broadcast compliment although again, I have no idea what that means. Also, I have no interaction with the corps management and haven't for a long time. I help out when i can, contribute when I can, but beyond that I have no communication in any way with corps management or staff. And whomever your friend is, telling you I would be a first responder to critical comments, maybe they are right, but only if the critical comments are unjustified or downright wrong. Opinions are one thing and everyone has a right to them, but if the opinion is based on erroneous information or a total misunderstnding of facts, then yeah I might point that out. But I don't recall that I ever flat out insulted anyone doing it. If you dan't want your truth challenged, then try to be as accurate as possible and through in the information presented. And that is not directed at you so don't get all knotted up. That is a general statement. I am a bit curious about the papa bear comment as well the "choose to use the technique" comment. And to anser your question about the lawn, well think about it. This is enough for me, is it enough for you? Maybe we can talk at the next BAC event.