Mergers, What was the story?

Here's some others from my memory bank:

1980 - Fantasia (CT) - formed by the merger of the Fire-ettes and ???

C'mon people add s'more!

:-)

Between the Fire-ettes and "boys"

>>Ray says: "Between the Fire-ettes and "boys"<<

I think you're right Professor ... they did merge with da boyz ...

Here's some others from my memory bank:

1973 - St. Pat's Imperials and ??? form The Thing

1980 - Fantasia III is formed in NJ - can't remember what corps merged to form them

The Thunderbolts merged with St. Pat's Imperials.. Both started out the '73 season separately, but joined to form The Thing a few weeks later.

Fantasia III was Imperial Knights + Dynamic Royalaires + Valley Grenadiers.

It's important to remember that without a merger, the Blue Stars probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground. Their 1964 merger with the AppleArrows of La Crescent, Minnesota gave them personnel and financial stability. The Blue Stars got its majority financial support from Minnesota in those early years (the pre-First Federal days) , and they were introduced as representing the La Crescent post.

The Denver Blue Knights may not have developed as a corps without their merger with the Tabor Guard in '73, bringing the necessary color guard and instructional personnel to sustain it into the DCI era.

Des Plaines Vanguard had their most successful years in their history following their mid-1960s merger with the Brigade.

The Boston Crusaders sustained themselves in the early 1980s with their mergers with the Guardsmen, and four years later with the Valley-Airs.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I'll disagree (we seem to be doing that here and there) I think the most successful merger was 27th Lancers.

Okay, that's a good one BUT 27th have been gone for a long time and Crossmen are still here albeit in a different part of the country.

I'll disagree (we seem to be doing that here and there) I think the most successful merger was 27th Lancers.

As far as I know, 27th Lancers were not a merger. They were formed when nearly the entire membership and manager of the I.C. Reveries decided to split from their church sponsor and form a new corps. I do not recall them merging with anyone (correct me if I am wrong, though).

Okay, that's a good one BUT 27th have been gone for a long time and Crossmen are still here albeit in a different part of the country.

Yup, but the question was "most successful" and few corps were more successful that 27.

They were a real possibiltiy for DCI Champ, almost the first authentic possibility from the East, in the early 80s.

They defined movement on the field in a way that gave birth to what we have now.

The Chrome Wall was one of the first big time percussion sections.

I love Crossmen, I've had 2 kids play there and I worked on the brass staff for one season, but most successful?

I'm sticking with 27.

• Like 1

As far as I know, 27th Lancers were not a merger. They were formed when nearly the entire membership and manager of the I.C. Reveries decided to split from their church sponsor and form a new corps. I do not recall them merging with anyone (correct me if I am wrong, though).

Although all my memories are of 27 as a merger, it's easy now with the help of Google. etc. to see that you're correct.

Once again my rewritten histories of the Universe shattered by shabby facts.

It's not fair.

• Like 1

"Original Brassmen":

Thanks so much for this info. Yes, I DO remember the failed merger. Never knew what the final outcome was.

Thanks again.

Elphaba

Anyone possibly corn-fusing 27th with North Stars which started a bit later but same area and involved a lot of mergers.

27th always throws me when I look at old scores and see both IC Reveries and 27th the same year. Wasn't that Reverie corps ye olde feeder (aka Jr Jr :huh2:) to the "Sit Down" Reveries?

LOL sis had a college prof who was an IC Reverie Alumni. I told her to ask him if he was part of the Sit In. Few days later I get a call "What the HELL was the Sit Down?" she asked and his jaw hit the ground. Turns out he missed it by a few years (forget which way) but surprised anyone that young in the Philly area knew about it. Well she didn't know but found out.... :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Elphie ... you may remember this ... the most famous merger never to materialize ... after the 62 season the Queensmen, Loretto and Selden tried to merge into the "original" Brassmen ... they even wore jackets to the Staten Island I&E that winter ... according to Frank Bucemi (RIP), they couldn't get any parents to run the corps ... so they folded ... and Selden went to Sky and Cabs, Loretto went to Sky and Cabs and the Queensmen went to Sun ... a lot of the Selden guys came back to the Golden Lancers for a very successful 64 season ...

I wonder why Floyd Bennet was never a part of that failed project? The name then might have been The Brass By Night-men.

• Like 1