2015 Shenandoah Sound Recruiting Booth At Woodbridge Show

I got an email today from a show host saying the only groups welcome at any USBands events are those run by YEA, so if you planned to go to their shows, you may want to check with the host.

Edited by Jeff Ream

I got an email today from a show host saying the only groups welcome at any USBands events are those run by YEA...

Ugh. So foolish. YEA's two corps can only take in 278 members, but let's not let the thousands of students at their marching band shows know that any other corps exist.

However, I doubt this is entirely true, since the USBands schedule includes the Music in Motion shows, which are cosponsored by the other G7 corps. Surely YEA is not telling BD and the rest that they're not allowed to have a presence at those shows. Even so, students who aren't local to Allentown or able to participate in DCI World Class would surely benefit from knowing about other options.

• Like 1

Ugh. So foolish. YEA's two corps can only take in 278 members, but let's not let the thousands of students at their marching band shows know that any other corps exist.

However, I doubt this is entirely true, since the USBands schedule includes the Music in Motion shows, which are cosponsored by the other G7 corps. Surely YEA is not telling BD and the rest that they're not allowed to have a presence at those shows. Even so, students who aren't local to Allentown or able to participate in DCI World Class would surely benefit from knowing about other options.

this was a local USBands show. They already had the policy at major USBands events. MIM i'd imagine is different beast.

I get the logic though. You have 2 corps, 2 indoor programs....you control the message. YEA is out for the best for YEA, and advertising the competition isn't to YEA's advantage. Coke doesn't promote Pepsi

I'm happy to announce that Shenandoah Sound will have a recruiting table at the Frederick County (MD) Marching Band Festival on Monday, October 13 at Linganore HS outside Frederick, Maryland! This is will be our 3rd year recruiting at the festival which showcases all of the public high schools' marching bands from Frederick County. I performed at this event in high school (many years ago) and so I'm excited to return and recruit from the great talent in my home county.

• Like 1

Hi Anthony ,best of luck in your recruiting fill your ranks and come back stronger then ever .

Edited by Florida Sun

I'm happy to announce that Shenandoah Sound will have a recruiting table at the Frederick County (MD) Marching Band Festival on Monday, October 13 at Linganore HS outside Frederick, Maryland! This is will be our 3rd year recruiting at the festival which showcases all of the public high schools' marching bands from Frederick County. I performed at this event in high school (many years ago) and so I'm excited to return and recruit from the great talent in my home county.

gorgeous new building.

I get the logic though. You have 2 corps, 2 indoor programs... you control the message. YEA is out for the best for YEA, and advertising the competition isn't to YEA's advantage. Coke doesn't promote Pepsi

Ah, but unlike Coke or Pepsi, YEA's corps are non-profits and members of a cooperative association with an interest in seeing that association succeed as a whole. If Coke out-competes Pepsi so well that the latter goes out of business, all the better for Coke, who corners the market. If Cadets and Cadets2 succeed so well at the expense of the competition that the other drum corps go out of business,* they themselves will suffer. I don't think a summer season of Saturday shows with just those two corps competing against each other will get enough business.

*Obviously not letting other corps advertise at their shows will not by itself result in the demise of other corps--but it does seem to suggest that YEA holds a problematic view of drum corps as a whole. Also, as I've said before, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for YEA to charge other corps their regular booth fee to have a presence at their shows. It's just the idea of an outright ban that seems contrary to the spirit of DCA and DCI.

• Like 1

Ah, but unlike Coke or Pepsi, YEA's corps are non-profits and members of a cooperative association with an interest in seeing that association succeed as a whole. If Coke out-competes Pepsi so well that the latter goes out of business, all the better for Coke, who corners the market. If Cadets and Cadets2 succeed so well at the expense of the competition that the other drum corps go out of business,* they themselves will suffer. I don't think a summer season of Saturday shows with just those two corps competing against each other will get enough business.

*Obviously not letting other corps advertise at their shows will not by itself result in the demise of other corps--but it does seem to suggest that YEA holds a problematic view of drum corps as a whole. Also, as I've said before, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for YEA to charge other corps their regular booth fee to have a presence at their shows. It's just the idea of an outright ban that seems contrary to the spirit of DCA and DCI.

this isn't just at the super shows run and staffed by YEA. this is at local shows, run by high school booster groups. My hunch is it's probably built into the contract dictating the terms of items at a USBands show. YEA can't charge fees to let someone set up at JQP high school. and while your suggestion makes sense and could result in revenue for YEA at their super shows, advertising the competition isn't part of their charter. Yes, it's a non profit, but their mission isn't to be a care taker for drum corps. Their charter is to take care of YEA

• Like 1

Simple answer ,just boycott anything that smells of YEA