DCI's More Forgotten or Less-Acclaimed Moments

The 02 Crossmen "Heat of the Day" opener is probably in my top 5 favorite drum corps moments. The build of tension and then the release of it in those 4 minutes is just to die for. One of the more intense pieces I can think of on the drum corps field. Really enjoy that whole show.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

The 02 Crossmen "Heat of the Day" opener is probably in my top 5 favorite drum corps moments. The build of tension and then the release of it in those 4 minutes is just to die for. One of the more intense pieces I can think of on the drum corps field. Really enjoy that whole show.

They really captured the essence of the original piece, and the groove was so tasty. Beddis made a lot of people forget about thinking "what would Thurston do" because of the masterful job he did with it.

• Like 1

The awesomeness of the 1980 and 1981 Madison Scout's Rifle Lines. Watch the video from '81 then bring up a video of the '06 Alumni Project. Its got to be the same guys because they are doing the same work and its still near-flawless. Masculine, athletic and near perfect execution at every show. Those guys set the tone for both shows. Rivermen were on tour with Mad most of 80 and chunks of 81, my god those guys were amazing. I don't recall seeing a drop...ever.

• Like 3

Some of the moments that seem to be forgotten, some probably because they didn't make finals, include

98 Les Etoiles and the spinning drumset. For some reason I am thinking they used this in multiple years, and can't remember if the other year was before but I know for sure they used it in 98 as that is my favorite show by them. I also can't remember whether they were DII or DI that year, I am thinking they switched over somewhere in those years. Another weird but memorable moment from them was the guard on scaffolding which I think was 2000 or 2001.

Blue Knights 2002, possibly the best use of classical music ever on the field. Such an amazing show that should have made finals. Fear and Trembling goes down as one of my all time favorite BK show, regardless of placement.

Madison Scouts Pirates show kind of got lost since it only placed 7th that year, but what an amazing show. Especially the sword fight on the spinning drumline. Madison 99 Jesus Christ Superstar was also an emotional goldmine that sometimes doesn't get noticed with the tie for the championship between BD and SCV. But in my opinion, it was a top 3 show for entertainment value.

Colts Summertime in the late 70s also a great moment lost by not making finals.

Another great moment was the DII/III race in 96. One of my top 3 favorites for what is now called Open Class. Pioneer and Nite Express had been neck and neck all season long, and then along came Les Etoiles to win it at the end. 3 amazing shows in different ways. Nite Express was my favorite, but Pioneer was so much cleaner at finals. And then Les Etoiles seemed to come out of nowhere to win the title. Pioneer had my favorite show from them ever that year, and that closer was a goosebumps moment. I know that video used to be on youtube for anyone who doesn't have the vcr tapes from that year.

2000 Vanguard Cadets made semifinals, making it the first time ever an A and B corps both made semifinals. Pretty awesome moment for the organization.

Patriots 99 had one of the coolest tosses where they tossed a mallet type piece of equipment about 35 yards to be caught. In 2000 they also did some really cool things like 2 dancers doing splits on boards. Unfortunately since they didn't even make semifinals, a lot of these great moments really get lost over the years, especially since people without vcr tapes of Open Class don't ever get to see these shows, unless they show up on youtube.

So many more moments, but not enough time to list them all.

• Like 3

Some of the moments that seem to be forgotten, some probably because they didn't make finals, include

98 Les Etoiles and the spinning drumset. For some reason I am thinking they used this in multiple years, and can't remember if the other year was before but I know for sure they used it in 98 as that is my favorite show by them. I also can't remember whether they were DII or DI that year, I am thinking they switched over somewhere in those years. Another weird but memorable moment from them was the guard on scaffolding which I think was 2000 or 2001.

Blue Knights 2002, possibly the best use of classical music ever on the field. Such an amazing show that should have made finals. Fear and Trembling goes down as one of my all time favorite BK show, regardless of placement.

Madison Scouts Pirates show kind of got lost since it only placed 7th that year, but what an amazing show. Especially the sword fight on the spinning drumline. Madison 99 Jesus Christ Superstar was also an emotional goldmine that sometimes doesn't get noticed with the tie for the championship between BD and SCV. But in my opinion, it was a top 3 show for entertainment value.

Another great moment was the DII/III race in 96. One of my top 3 favorites for what is now called Open Class. Pioneer and Nite Express had been neck and neck all season long, and then along came Les Etoiles to win it at the end. 3 amazing shows in different ways. Nite Express was my favorite, but Pioneer was so much cleaner at finals. And then Les Etoiles seemed to come out of nowhere to win the title. Pioneer had my favorite show from them ever that year, and that closer was a goosebumps moment. I know that video used to be on youtube for anyone who doesn't have the vcr tapes from that year.

2000 Vanguard Cadets made semifinals, making it the first time ever an A and B corps both made semifinals. Pretty awesome moment for the organization.

Patriots 99 had one of the coolest tosses where they tossed a mallet type piece of equipment about 35 yards to be caught. In 2000 they also did some really cool things like 2 dancers doing splits on boards. Unfortunately since they didn't even make semifinals, a lot of these great moments really get lost over the years, especially since people without vcr tapes of Open Class don't ever get to see these shows, unless they show up on youtube.

Thank you, MisterA. You've given me a lot more for which to be on the lookout.

Les Etoiles used the spinning drum rack in 1997, too. And the scaffolding was in 1999 when they did "Ice Storm" (I saw that show in Evansville, IN and thought it was so cool!!!).

Patriots 1999 is a stellar show - glad someone else remembers that one.

The awesomeness of the 1980 and 1981 Madison Scout's Rifle Lines. Watch the video from '81 then bring up a video of the '06 Alumni Project. Its got to be the same guys because they are doing the same work and its still near-flawless. Masculine, athletic and near perfect execution at every show. Those guys set the tone for both shows. Rivermen were on tour with Mad most of 80 and chunks of 81, my god those guys were amazing. I don't recall seeing a drop...ever.

Shortly after the rifle line jumps over the flags in 81 there is a drop, but your point is accurate, their execution and continual rifle work was fantastic. No wonder they were staged quite often up front.
  • Like 1

"Heat of the Day" is one of my all-time favorite PMG pieces, and I agree that Crossmen did a GREAT job both in design and performance of that piece. And again, I didn't realize that was the same year as the "Strawberry Soup."

What I'm saying is, that was a pretty damm great Crossmen show!!

• Like 1

They really captured the essence of the original piece, and the groove was so tasty. Beddis made a lot of people forget about thinking "what would Thurston do" because of the masterful job he did with it.

Totally agree. By 2002 I had arranged a percussion ensemble version of "Heat of the Day" and felt like I knew it backwards/forwards: meaning I was likely very critical and judgmental of how that arrangement would be long before I saw/heard it (FWIW I really did not like what Music City Mystique did with it the year they won WGI with that as their pesudo-opener in 1998). It did kind of blow me away, both brass, front ensemble, and battery, and it was really turned into a great marching/pageantry number that is the high-water mark for other designers IMO.

• Like 1