Your First Show

The writeup that appeared in the paper for that contest didn't bother giving scores for anybody except the Firefighters:

Firefighters--63.90

Opti-Knights--no scores

Midlanders

St. John's Girls

Flying Dutchmen

Here are scores according to a Guelph Opti-Knights source:

SATURDAY MAY 31, 1969

ETOBICOKE, ONTARIO

CENTENNIAL STADIUM

... Michael Power Knights Show

SCARBOROUGH FIREFIGHTERS 63.59

OPTI-KNIGHTS 59.95

MIDLANDERS 59.20

ST JOHN'S GIRLS 57.75

FLYING DUTCHMEN 38.35

I have the May 31, 1969 Alhambra Day in Etobicoke program which is 16 pages excluding the front and back covers.

The middle of the program lists Michael Power Knights in exhibition, De La Salle "Oaklands" and Toronto Optimists Junior "A" competition.

The Junior "B" corps, listed in the program, were Flying Dutchmen, Midlanders, Opti-Knights, K of C - St. John's.

The program contains photos of St. John's, Dutchmen, Midlanders, Del, Opti-Knights, Michael Power, Toronto Optimists and Scarborough Firefighters.

We always had spring camp during the May long weekend to learn drill, dates would have been May 17-19 1969. We may have had 2-3 more practices before the first show. In retrospect, on June 1 1969, I would have been able to watch Wonerful World of Disney and The Ed Sullivan Show IF I did my homework. On June 2 1969 I'd be on my way to middle school (we call it Junior High). As a rookie, I heard about the Firefighters and Midlanders rivalry in 1968. Little did I know we'd win and they'd win in tandem all summer long. It was my first exposure to the word 'competition'. In middle school, I auditioned for a skit and won a role. It was my first exposure to 'performance'. The corps I was in had boys in horns and drums, girls in guard. Drum corps was my first exposure to listening to 'live music'. I liked it so did it again in 1970.

Oh my Brian. You do realize that 2014 - 1969 = 45 years!

I probably did this a long time ago but since newer people have popped in to DCP....

Where was your first show that you competed in?

What was your corps?

You remember what place you took?

Other corps competing?

Frankenmuth, MI

Gen Putnams Men

1st

Saginaires, Ventures, Dutchboy, Glassmen, Bandettes, Blue Water Bucs...

Edited by BigDale

First Jr show was an exhibition my Sr corps hosted day after 1975 DCI held in Philly. Held in Hershey, PA and billed as "Last chance for the corps to play their shows without having to worry about the judges". Inside joke was "Last chance for gas money and way for the host to get some (badly needed) money". "Scoring" was "judged" by some kind of machine (never found out what) that was measured by a CPA (he played mellophone for us). Day after "that" DCI had Madison, Blue Devils, Kilities, Troopers, others(?) and..... MUCHACHOS.

Scouts won and trophy presented by our long time Quartermaster. Who was wearing his favorite Troopers cap as he gave it to the Scouts DM. ooops....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1963, first competition ( we had done exhibitions for two years prior) with the Levittown Pennsylvanians at a Garden State Circuit show in Woodbridge , Nj sponsored by the CW Townsmen. We had the largest corps in competition ( 39 horns, 12 drums 20 flags 13 guide-ons), but our average age was about 13 ( i was 10). We took last place with a 47. On retreat two corps members passed out after hearing our score. One of our "alternate horn players" ( we had three 9-10 year old backup third sopranos who would fill holes), we spotted in high atop a tree overlooking the stands ( in uniform) while we were standing on retreat. I believe the Muchachos won the show, and the Privateers were second. Also competing were the Dumont Police cadets , Little Falls Cadets,Regimental Cadets from Staten island,. Mahattanaires, and Imperial Knights.

RCC

I probably did this a long time ago but since newer people have popped in to DCP....

Where was your first show that you competed in?

What was your corps?

You remember what place you took?

Other corps competing?

Didn't compete, but my first show was an exhibition at the 1967 Tournament of Stars in Bayonne, NJ, as a member of the Kidets.

Fred O.

• 5 weeks later...

My first show marching in competition was in 1971, with the Sacred Heart Crusaders of Manville, NJ... an Eastern States circuit corps.

I was 12 years old.

I don't remember where the show was, or what we scored... but I do remember being so nervous I thought I might hyperventilate. LOLI

It's more likely that John Latko ran us into the ground Fran. Seriously our 1st show that year was the Earl of Bucks show, I'm pretty sure. Why do I remember 5th?

Oscar

My first show in drum corps was in Claremont NH in May of 1956. I was in the Braintree Warriors, and I remember we didn't win. The only other corps I can remember was the Enfield Sabers from CT. I know we did beat them. I also remember that the crowd was between 300 and 500 people. I vividly remember a collision on the field between our corps proper and the color guard which cost us dearly.

My first was with Cincinnati Tradition, at the DCI Show in Dublin OH, 2010. I had joined the corps only the week before, and for a decent part of the show my drill was nearly just 'follow susie and don't mess up!

Worked out well though, and I had a great time!

My first show in drum corps was in Claremont NH in May of 1956. I was in the Braintree Warriors, and I remember we didn't win. The only other corps I can remember was the Enfield Sabers from CT. I know we did beat them. I also remember that the crowd was between 300 and 500 people. I vividly remember a collision on the field between our corps proper and the color guard which cost us dearly.

Dam, you are old since I was 10 when I joined the Braintree Braves in 57.

"Passing Out & the Dumont Police Cadets":

1961, Garfield Cadets Annual contest at the old Outwater Lane Stadium. Dumont Police Cadets (who already this season had quite a reputation for "Passing Out" at contests) probably broke every record for same at this show.

For starters, one of their baritones went down in the middle of their "Concert" number. As the corps was gong into their "Exit" a couple more dropped on the field.

As they crossed the "Finish Line" a few more bit the dust, and as they played their "Signature" many more collapsed. EMT's and staff/quartermasters from ALL the competing corps jumped in to assist with the "Casualties".

St Kevin's, St Catherine's Queensemen, Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadets, Bracken Cavaliers and several other corps were performing at this show, and I don't believe ANYBODY from any of those units "Passed Out".

Aparently all the Dumont kids "Recovered" as they appeared "Full" in their numbers at retreat.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01