DCA Predictions for 2015

If only three corps advanced at DCA, Cabs would have WON Prelims and finished LAST at Finals. In that sense, ordinals can be deceiving when a quantified "third" becomes a qualified "last." Aside from that, every corps knows where they are and in what direction they are going.

If I lived anywhere near St. Peter, Minn., I would be a septuagenarian rookie in The Govies this summer. They are small, they are good, they are always getting better, and they have fun performing an entertaining show every time out. You can't have any greater purpose for belonging to a corps !

Joe Dz in NJ

• Like 2

If you don't value competition, then you have no reason whatsoever to be angry, when you find yourself in last place.

Isn't that the truth....especially when a simple search of this very forum will show different...

• Like 2

If you don't value competition, then you have no reason whatsoever to be angry, when you find yourself in last place.

[EDITED. Because I just realized how little I care anymore.]

To this thread: I predict a good time in Rochester for those that go, and most excellent BBQ.

Edited by dannyboy

But when an organization does not give any level of importance to placement they also need to rethink their priorities and purpose.

Yes, there can only be one group in first place (though that would be an erroneous statement of course if there was a tie), but placement is a very important part of every competitive organization, without placement they exist, but IMO they are not competitive. I don't believe in the everyone should get a medal just for showing up school of thought. I also don't believe that members join a competitive organization to never have the chance to be competitive.

it is entertaining if competition isnt important to a group in their PR but you see their members complain about placement on social media

• Like 2

it is entertaining if competition isnt important to a group in their PR but you see their members complain about placement on social media

Jeff, I couldn't agree more on the internet social media---it's taken the place of the Floyd's Barber Shops and the Foley's Markets across the world----even with a worldwide similar cast of standardized characters; Andy, Barney, Opie, Otis, etc..

In short, I sense anyone may be nuttier than a squirrel turd to believe everything on the social media. Except the news about the midget eating a full grown whole elephant in one bite---that has to be believed because it makes sense; we've seen obese midgets and elephants have decreased in population---what more proof is needed.

Edited by bill

Entertainment is great, but if a group is going in bent on ignoring the criteria around which an organization ranks each member, then why not just form a bowling league? Its cheaper and easier. If a group has strayed that far from its founding charter then perhaps new leadership should be considered. Or at the very least a re evaluation of why this group is participating in a judged activity.

• Like 3

so is it that if a member says on social media that they can't believe the score they got and they got screwed and f the judges, that that member shouldn't be believed?

or is it the organization that bills itself on social media as a top-rated group with a world class level of educators, yet habitually comes in last, that shouldn't be believed?

• Like 2