DCA Predictions for 2015

Sounds like someone's cranky about "announcer's fees" huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread has been one of those that has tangents that bend off topic but remain in the main thought well enough to keep the topic moving forward into Wildwood.....

After digesting all of the DCA Fan Network 2014 shows that I could, I firmly believe that it is safe to EXPECT that in 2015 most corps will continue to:

• Get Younger
  • Get Better

With the continual pushing of the envelope, it appears that 2015 will see the most creative, most challenging, most effective, most polished performances in drum corps history.

While the social atmosphere around the world and around our own country present challenges to the safety of our very existence, it is clear that DCA/DCI and other activities for young (and not so young) are developing the kinds of leaders we want for our future and our grandchildren's future. And those of us in the stands are reaping the benefits of extreme entertainment !

So that's my DCA Prediction for 2015: IT GETS BETTER !!!!

Go Cabs ! Go Everybody !

Joe Dz in NJ

• Like 3

I predict a few new corps names make finals this year ,and some others outside looking in .

I predict a few new corps names make finals this year ,and some others outside looking in .

I predict any organization that deems what they offer their valued membership hinges solely on the placement at one single event over the course of a season as a whole----needs to rethink their priorities and purpose. Number-wise, there's only one first place in any competition-------every single other corps, is not in first place. :bigsmile:

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

Truth, Bill, BUT-- There's also an issue of for a lack of better words, relevancy. Does the corps feel that when they compete, that they're "in the mix, in the hunt" for something- not necessarily coming in first place. If the corps has no chance- why compete? There has to be a situation where there's at least that knowledge there's someone else to compete against and do well, to present well.

I know from my personal experience when i was recruited to Westshore in 1979 as a 16 year old kid I was pretty skeptical of all the above. I was told there was a plan, that the corps was resolved to get better than 9th in '78 and become more relevant.

Now, to tell you I thought We'd win some big DCA contests and pull a 2nd in '82? I didn't think that at all. I don't think any of us did except for Larry and Chuck at that point. Did we want to be relevant and feel like we belonged in the mix and have some measure of respect regardless of placement? YOU. BET. :satisfied:

Just my tuppence.

• Like 1

I predict shows will happen, baby's will be tossed, someone will end up crying.

I remember when: "ships were wood, and be burly men manned the Sails" and " You can't paint 2nd place on the Base Drum". (well at leased the one about the Base Drum anyway.)

When I started in Drum Corps you made GOALS that were possible. At Both VFW and A.L. States. Our first goal was to make the Top 10. (New Jersey had from 15 to 20 Corps in STATES every year. Now remember, N.J. had from 3 to 4 National Contenders every year( between 1956 and 1976). Then you could have 3 or 4 more that gave them hell each year. Keeping those above on their toes. To keep them on improving . When Corps like ST. Vincent's, Blessed Sacrament, Audubon, and St. Lucy's left us. That is where the Corps like Bridgemen and Muchachos stepped right up from. So any way. The next Goal was a whole lot harder. Make the TOP 7.

So Between , 12 and 15 Corps went to a State Contest and KNEW there was NO WAY ON EARTH you could Win. But we could Watch and Learn from all those Great Corps. Then one day WE could Step Up to our Next Goal.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

I predict any organization that deems what they offer their valued membership hinges solely on the placement at one single event over the course of a season as a whole----needs to rethink their priorities and purpose. Number-wise, there's only one first place in any competition-------every single other corps, is not in first place. :bigsmile:

So, when is a prediction thread not a prediction thread? Answer: When nobody makes a prediction. Actually these "prediction" threads are getting easier and easier every year. Given the fact that the same corps has won every year (except for one) since 2005, I will go out on a limb and predict Bucs win....everyone else does not.

But when an organization does not give any level of importance to placement they also need to rethink their priorities and purpose.

Yes, there can only be one group in first place (though that would be an erroneous statement of course if there was a tie), but placement is a very important part of every competitive organization, without placement they exist, but IMO they are not competitive. I don't believe in the everyone should get a medal just for showing up school of thought. I also don't believe that members join a competitive organization to never have the chance to be competitive.

• Like 4