DCA Predictions for 2015

so is it that if a member says on social media that they can't believe the score they got and they got screwed and f the judges, that that member shouldn't be believed?

or is it the organization that bills itself on social media as a top-rated group with a world class level of educators, yet habitually comes in last, that shouldn't be believed?

Wow. This made me think a bit. There are some very good educators out there that aren't very good at design. Or, from personal experience, if one goes into a situation in place with issues with attitude, morale, rot at the top, a weak HS Director that doesn't address their weaknesses because of their egos or appropriately delegate, a bad show in place with nothing you can do about it except try and put a garnish on the turd and get the performers to play it as cleanly as possible, yes, you can have some very good staff in place, excellent professional, knowledgeable educators, and finish last. Administration (mainly talking school here- many of them are deliberately and insanely obstructive and destructive), the person in charge of the program, and the designers doing what the person in charge asked for when they didn't think about what to ask for can make what could be pretty good... hellishly bad.

As for frustrations of a performer, I'd say we've all been through this. The smart thing is to keep it internalized within the corps, and shut up on social media about it, though. It kinda makes one appear to be shallow. Best to let others outside the corps state it for you and take the high road. Even BITD before social media, it was always best to let the DCN and DCW reviewers do the talking.

• Like 2

Jeff, I couldn't agree more on the internet social media---it's taken the place of the Floyd's Barber Shops and the Foley's Markets across the world----even with a worldwide similar cast of standardized characters; Andy, Barney, Opie, Otis, etc..

In short, I sense anyone may be nuttier than a squirrel turd to believe everything on the social media. Except the news about the midget eating a full grown whole elephant in one bite---that has to be believed because it makes sense; we've seen obese midgets and elephants have decreased in population---what more proof is needed.

this wasn't aimed at one specific corps mind you. I mean I know I offend when i get blasted in reviews for agreeing with the judges and get nasty emails

this wasn't aimed at one specific corps mind you. I mean I know I offend when i get blasted in reviews for agreeing with the judges and get nasty emails

I know Jeff....my reply was generic and general in nature as well, and not directed to anyone or any corps/organization either.

Edited by bill

So getting back to pedictions anyone guessing at the top ten this year ?

Apparently, this is not that kind of prediction thread! But smart money would have Bucs winning. Again...

yes.

the top 10 highest scoring corps at prelims

A great time will be had in the Flower City!

So getting back to predictions anyone guessing at the top ten this year ?

I plan on doing an article on that in the future. Truthfully, I think can set the stage for what I think is to come, but to be honest, I think the situation is so wide open with a lot of hungry corps out there that there could be some things happening that even some of the corps will not expect blindsiding everyone.

I expect that 1-3 corps that no one's really thinking about as any threat or people will figure ending up doing pretty much what they always do will be doing something out of this world crazy, coming out a lot more prepared than anyone expected and rocking the boat. Who? I wish I could tell yah.

Also, Kidsgrove is back this year, yes? That's a real element of really awesome and cool chaos thrown into the mix.

Edited by BigW

... I plan on doing an article on that in the future. Truthfully, I think can set the stage for what I think is to come, but to be honest, I think the situation is so wide open with a lot of hungry corps out there that there could be some things happening that even some of the corps will not expect blindsiding everyone.

Just wondering how you will conduct interviews or actually visit pre-season rehearsals to make your calls ... this is a real challenge you're undertaking ... look forward to you predictions ...

:-)

I wish I could go out there and see. Funds are tight right now. Sometimes, it's reading between the lines of the press releases and watching some of the things the corps release on social media. I do talk to some folks, too. Some of what was said on the Kidsgrove site when I perused it has me hoping to see them this season. :satisfied:

Some of the corps have been silent on DCP- it doesn't mean they're in trouble, it might mean they're just quietly getting things in place.

There are a couple of corps that really have me very curious this season with the directions they want to go and the ideas they want to make happen. If they can make it work as they intend to, it might be a very good year for them. A great year for some corps could just be making finals. Some, making the top 5. I do think that if the scoring system remains in place from last season- scores might get pretty ridiculous. The exact numbers, I need to think about.