DCA Predictions for 2015

The mini corps I write for and teach is far from a bunch of old guys trying to see who can hit the highest note, and you know that. We have some old guys in the baritone line that still can play. However, the last several years have been Star and Ghost Riders and whoever else shows up. This will be the Ghost Riders 20th year in DCA competition as hard as that may be to believe. Last year's show was very diverse with the different groups that came in.

But I digress, pretend I didn't say anything about the topic. I know better than to come over here and say something that is not the norm, so I will go back to Facebook now.

DA

I know that. The general paying fan doesn't.

Again...I like mini corps. But if you want to get "respect" from DCA....make them money.

you have the Ghost Riders confused with Westshoremen I think.

• Like 1

nope. not at all. I don't see how/where Ghost riders are making money for DCA. If they were, the dvd's and cd's would still be being produced.

We are making money for ourselves...we have many people that are paying good money to have this group in their show/parade. More money than we could get in these DCA shows anyway. We have to find venues that will support this type of group and there are many. :notify:

I think you are missing the point Jeff...and I will not argue with you.

My comments were about the quality of musicianship, not about money. We are not a squealing, high end sounding group at all. The fans in Rochester do know that much at least. You haven't been there in awhile. Its not the same as it was on the hill in Scranton.

• Like 1

Curious. Where do the proceeds from beer sales go at this venue? I know they sell a lot. Sometimes they even sell out.

Most likely to the vendor that services the hotel/Convention Center/street venue/etc. ... they usually pay a % back to whoever hired them ... I doubt DCA receives any kickback at all ...

:-)

We are making money for ourselves...we have many people that are paying good money to have this group in their show/parade. More money than we could get in these DCA shows anyway. We have to find venues that will support this type of group and there are many. :notify:

I think you are missing the point Jeff...and I will not argue with you.

My comments were about the quality of musicianship, not about money. We are not a squealing, high end sounding group at all. The fans in Rochester do know that much at least. You haven't been there in awhile. Its not the same as it was on the hill in Scranton.

I'm not directing thus at you Donny

But Jeff isint funny how you take some time away from DCA and suddenly you don't know anything anymore???

Guess you had to be there

:):)

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

I saw Ghost Riders at this years mini corps show. They are not an alumni styled, "blowing the high notes" type of corps. Far from it. They have an established identity and a solid ensemble sound. The entertainment factor is solidly in place, as well. There are plenty of alumni corps around nowadays. But that won't last forever. I think it's the nature of the beast. We (old guys) aren't getting any younger, but DCA sure is. Isn't that how it should be?

• Like 1

To go with Hair (and be Capt Obvious), some Alumni and Mini groups are trying to keep up with changes to keep membership and fan interest going. And some are content with sticking to what was going on during their time. More power to both but yeah... who will still be around in 10 years or so.

And IMO GR have kept up beautifully and corps doing "if loud is good, louder must be better" that was going on before my time (at age 57) don't thrill me at all......