Second sixteen year old snare player in DCI World Class?

Hey guys,

So, I'm now fifteen years old and auditioning for the Bluecoats snare line. As a rookie, what do I need to know to make it from now until the audition and afterwards. The do's and don'ts, all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by Thatguyjustice

You know, this actually reminds me that from what I've heard, there was a 15-year-old guy named Arjun who was on the Bluecoats' snareline just this past season. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's pretty cool anyway.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

So, I'm now fifteen years old and auditioning for the Bluecoats snare line. As a rookie, what do I need to know to make it from now until the audition and afterwards. The do's and don'ts, all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

There are numerous other posts on this topic. Take a look at those as well.

Bluecoats have one of DCI’s premier percussion programs and staff. Make sure you get the audition material for the position you wish to audition and be able to understand and perform it at a very high level. Be confident, comfortable and able to sight read any new material presented during the audition.

Age is not always a factor to making any DCI drum line. I made it into my 1st DCI finals-level snare line at 16. What matters is your level of ability, maturity, attitude and comment. Today’s DCI percussion sections move a lot and play a lot so make sure you’re in good physical condition. Show up early and be prepared for a wonderful experience. Be ready to go, ready to learn and have an enthusiastic and positive attitude. Be open to what the Bluecoats staff want you to do AND DO IT, have an open mind. Be rested and ready to work hard all weekend. Before the audition, during and after, talk to veterans, they can help you immensely. Don’t get stressed out, do whatever it takes to be relaxed. No matter what happens learn from the experience and enjoy it.

Good luck to you and have fun.

Edited by devsabre
  • Like 2

You know, this actually reminds me that from what I've heard, there was a 15-year-old guy named Arjun who was on the Bluecoats' snareline just this past season. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's pretty cool anyway.

Hey's the guy that marched (marches?) at OCI, too, right?

In response to your title: If you do make the Coats snare line, you won't be the second 16 year old snare player currently in DCI's World Class. I'm fairly sure there are many other 16 year old members on world class snare lines, as well as a ton of 16 year old members in general. The reason everyone made a big deal about that 16 year-old kid in the BD snare line was not because he's in a world class corps, but because he's a member of the Blue Devils. THE Blue Devils, the corps that hasn't been below 4th place since 1975, which, uncoincidentally, currently has and has had one of the best percussion sections ever.

• Like 1

In response to your title: If you do make the Coats snare line, you won't be the second 16 year old snare player currently in DCI's World Class. I'm fairly sure there are many other 16 year old members on world class snare lines, as well as a ton of 16 year old members in general. The reason everyone made a big deal about that 16 year-old kid in the BD snare line was not because he's in a world class corps, but because he's a member of the Blue Devils. THE Blue Devils, the corps that hasn't been below 4th place since 1975, which, uncoincidentally, currently has and has had one of the best percussion sections ever.

SCV would like a word with you.

Any given year, my friend. No corps has been stable at the very top of the percussion world for some years. To claim that BD has the best current line would be misleading at best.

• Like 3

SCV would like a word with you.

Any given year, my friend. No corps has been stable at the very top of the percussion world for some years. To claim that BD has the best current line would be misleading at best.

To exclude them from the discussion would be misleading too. Both have stellar lines, but if you want to look at the last ten seasons, BD gets the nod.

That said, I'm a fan of Rennick. I think he writes some tasty battery stuff.

Edited by dcsnare93

b/c he was drumming with BD's line as an 11 year old. youtube has hyped the BD kid for years.

• Like 1