BlueStars 2015 "Side Show"

brians

This year's show is great; but, maybe it might be time to go in a new direction, in terms of show design, next year. Just go with a theme and let go of the story telling, for a while. In addition, get the hornline volume up, earlier in the season so it doesn't become such an issue further down the road.

There are a lot of awesome things going on with the corps; just a few things to work out to take it to the next level: which is currently: Phantom Regiments, Cavaliers, and Blue Knights.

Unless the judges sheets go back to the way they were, before this year; it's pretty clear that some changes might have to be made to the show design and how it's brought to the field.

Edited by corps8294

Brass got 9th I believe last night. That's not the problem. I think the placement of the platforms is what's killing the effect because they effect the drill some. I think music analysis was a huge anomaly last night. 9th or betree in every music caption then 15th in music analysis? Same judge that put bd in 5th and spirit and academy 10th and 11th. There is nothing wrong with the designs. The last time it was. More of a concept was 2012 and they fell out of finals. The drill and marching are what's holding the scores down but there is still room on the sheets to grow. They have 2 weeks to figure it out and make a run. They have a great shot sfor a good score going into prelims with nobody in their tier at Allentown with them. What worked for the Denver groups will work for them. The season isn't over and I have faith. The end crowns the work and it's not over!

• Like 2

Really enjoyed Blue Stars' show tonight in Dublin. They've come so far since Akron. Not completely sold on the (prerecorded?) voiceovers. The style is a bit too much like BD's "Yowza" narrator in 2005. And the fact that they're being used at all tells me that either the judges are really dumb, and needed pointers to notice, e.g., the contortionist or the juggler . . . or that Stars never staged those moments well enough to make them really stand out. But in that regard, this show is at least as clear as what Blue Devils are doing (if far, far below BD in execution). And there are so many clever touches that connect the rest of the corps back to the carnival exhibits. For instance: the trumpets bending while they play during the contortionist section. What's most needed is cleaning in the second half of the show.

And the contortionist moves were impressive enough that you could hear some audience members sympathetically groaning.

I suspect they planned the voice over from the planning stages of the season. The way the music is constructed allows for the voice over. Also any genuine side show would have had that exact type of voice over. Seems like they need to get cleaner - which they have been struging with all season

Really enjoyed Blue Stars' show tonight in Dublin. They've come so far since Akron. Not completely sold on the (prerecorded?) voiceovers. The style is a bit too much like BD's "Yowza" narrator in 2005. And the fact that they're being used at all tells me that either the judges are really dumb, and needed pointers to notice, e.g., the contortionist or the juggler . . . or that Stars never staged those moments well enough to make them really stand out. B

Actually, as I mentioned in the Dublin thread, I like the “carnival barker” narration. I think it really adds to the production. And that flugelhorn soloist in the palm reading section is gold! She does another great job in the trumpet duet a little later on. I love the addition of the tight rope walker sideshow! Very clever, but I wonder if the effect would have been bigger if the “tight rope” was parallel to the front sideline instead of vertical? I like the costuming of the guard as they enter the carnival … the earth tone period costumes effectively evokes the idea of depression era commoners looking for a little entertainment to brighten their dreary day to day existence. It was nice to see the rifle toss over the carried guard member who takes the place of the couch from last year’s show. A very clever wink and a nod.

Wow! How lovely to hear those horns without all the thunderous goo from their synths! Thanks!

Agreed. This horn line is strong enough to not need the heavy dose of electronics that Grom and Mapes tend to put in their shows. I wonder if, as they push the horn volume, they'll finally back down on the goo. I hope so.

Wow! How lovely to hear those horns without all the thunderous goo from their synths! Thanks!

I'm usually the first to complain, but Stars' synths mostly didn't bother me.