Best Closers Musically, Visually, Overall.

Probably because their battery wasn't necessary during the ballad. Most corps have their batteries sit out during ballads. Having people ram notes just doesn't blend with lyrical ballads. Unless you're Phantom, then you try and shove a ride cymbal part into New World Symphony.

There's Cadets 2005 Dancer in the Dark is calling to disagree with you...

Starting around 1:46 of the video

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on this...

There's Cadets 2005 Dancer in the Dark is calling to disagree with you...

Starting around 1:46 of the video

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on this...

That one was a very good usage of it, but those are pretty rare examples. Cadets did it in 2002 as well. Looks like more groups use percussion for very small parts in their ballads, or not at all. Just isn't a necessary thing when you go for subtlety and lyrical quality.

That one was a very good usage of it, but those are pretty rare examples. Cadets did it in 2002 as well. Looks like more groups use percussion for very small parts in their ballads, or not at all. Just isn't a necessary thing when you go for subtlety and lyrical quality.

Totally agree, BUT when you can do it well, it really adds to the show. It's the exception and not the rule for sure!

Probably because their battery wasn't necessary during the ballad. Most corps have their batteries sit out during ballads. Having people ram notes just doesn't blend with lyrical ballads. Unless you're Phantom, then you try and shove a ride cymbal part into New World Symphony.

Oh Snap!

Musically:

Santa Clara Vanguard 1989

Phantom Regiment 1991

Madison Scouts 1995

Santa Clara Vanguard 2001

Carolina Crown 2007

Carolina Crown 2008

Carolina Crown 2010

Carolina Crown 2011

Blue Stars 2011

Madison Scouts 2013

Carolina Crown 2014

Visually:

Cavaliers 2000

Cavaliers 2003

Cadets 2012

Overall:

Star of Indiana 1991

Star of Indiana 1993

Madison Scouts 1997

Cadets 2000 (But the music too ... WOW!)

Blue Devils 2003

Cadets 2005

Phantom Regiment 2008

Carolina Crown 2009

Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

Carolina Crown 2012

Carolina Crown 2013
Santa Clara Vanguard 2013
Bluecoats 2014
  • Like 1

Totally agree, BUT when you can do it well, it really adds to the show. It's the exception and not the rule for sure!

For sure it can. Just seems like it requires expert writing and performing to sell it. It certainly is the exception.

• Like 1

For sure it can. Just seems like it requires expert writing and performing to sell it. It certainly is the exception.

Silence for 25-30% of the show, especially considering the excellence of Coats' percussion, was excessive IMHO.

Also...

Visual: SCV '88 (I liked this ending much better than '89)

Star '91 (cross to cross) and '92 (some people think it was cheesy, but seeing it live the first time was one of the most amazing thing I'd ever seen).

Musically: sorry, I'm gonna have to go with Devils "When a man loves a woman" '92. Made me stop being a hater.

A second vote for the "91 "cross to cross" ending (whole last 90 seconds, really). I had no idea that it was seen by some as cheesy. To each their own, most certainly. That's what makes personal opinion a wonderful and justifiable option.

• Like 1

Silence for 25-30% of the show, especially considering the excellence of Coats' percussion, was excessive IMHO.

As excessive as Cadets' banners and flags and giant people and multiple uniforms?

• Like 1