Cadets 2015

Favorite story about that: one that I tell all my students annually in regards to recovering after a mishap during a show

Cadets 1995 had a plethora of props throughout the field, and at times members had to back into sets blindly. At one point in the opener (John Williams' "The Rievers," tempo around 200), the tenor line was coming around and one of the tenors tripped over the park bench and face-planted on the turf. IIRC he tripped over one of the covered mounds. He popped up right before a pseudo-feature, and the tenor was off one of the j-bars (the two hooks that used to attach drum to carrier) and the tenors were on a severe tilt because of the fall. When the member popped up right before the halt/solo he bent his upper body significantly so the drums would visually look straight, played the solo (pretty cleanly), and when he stepped off for the next phrase he fixed the drum and put it back on the j-hook properly.

It was one of, if not THE, most impressive recoveries I'd ever seen!

IIRC I think you're right about being in one of the 'box seats' you were pretty close to the field, but I was never a fan performing in that stadium: it did, however, mean a lot to me to perform there in drum corps as that was the stadium I saw my first live drum corps show and it meant a lot to me to be able to march my home show and kind of bring my drum corps career full circle

Baseball fields are tough...USBands had their NJ champs in at the minor league field in Atlantic City one year, and one band had a tuba player trip over the lip of grass between the sand and grass in the infield, and it caused a train wreck...and thousands of dollars of instrument damage to tubas, baris and trombones.

It's easier for me to name the one show up to 2000 that I didn't love.

The rest are all incredible!

'86 was the first Cadets show I saw live. I still have a soft spot for it despite the flaws: On the Waterfront is totally awesome musically, the contra solo is totally awesome, the big boxes on poles are pretty cool. Imagine if they had stuck with their original plan of closing with Prelude, Fugue & Riffs....

• Like 2

I agree: I"m really excited to hear Cadets tackle this show, and it kind of feels like it may be in the vane of some of Cadets' greatest musical programs of the 80's and 90's.

My goal is to remain positive about this program in the hopes it turns out well.

DUM DUM DUM!

...I also hope they have a guard like 1996. I don't know much about guard, but that guard line was fantastic.

Which is why I believe if they stick with this program and don't muck it up, this should be a program worth talking about (hopefully).

Vote #2 on 1996 guard. Best everrrrrr.

yes, Hockey Dad, '86 was during Michael Cesario's dark period (he was still consulting when not running his Phantom phantasies.)

After the corps members realized what he had done to them at Governor's Island with Christopher Street during a national broadcast, there was definitely a sour mood..on the field, in the stands, and in the judging box. So much for learning Shenandoah and National Emblem for the occasion...

For you young un's, 1986 was also the show where Hopkins and Cesario experimented with clarinets, had the hornline double as the color guard, and the corps did the rededication of the Statue of Liberty. This included Mrs. Reagan releasing the 50 doves (actually pigeons) who were suppose to circle the statue and fly away into the heavens. Instead, while the corps did the concert in front of the statue (on TV of course,) the pigeons pooped constantly (who isn't nervous in front of the national media) onto the corps below completely destroying a set of uniforms which were never able to be totally clean again.

Most Cadet alums, somewhat cough at '86 remembering the broken cycle of '83.'84,'85 and...'87.

from one who was there for all of them.

I think GH mentioned 86 on the webcast the other week. Discussed how the ending piece was a mistake.

yes, Hockey Dad, '86 was during Michael Cesario's dark period (he was still consulting when not running his Phantom phantasies.)

After the corps members realized what he had done to them at Governor's Island with Christopher Street during a national broadcast, there was definitely a sour mood..on the field, in the stands, and in the judging box. So much for learning Shenandoah and National Emblem for the occasion...

For you young un's, 1986 was also the show where Hopkins and Cesario experimented with clarinets, had the hornline double as the color guard, and the corps did the rededication of the Statue of Liberty. This included Mrs. Reagan releasing the 50 doves (actually pigeons) who were suppose to circle the statue and fly away into the heavens. Instead, while the corps did the concert in front of the statue (on TV of course,) the pigeons pooped constantly (who isn't nervous in front of the national media) onto the corps below completely destroying a set of uniforms which were never able to be totally clean again.

Most Cadet alums, somewhat cough at '86 remembering the broken cycle of '83.'84,'85 and...'87.

from one who was there for all of them.

This is what happens when, in attempts to save money, one hires 50 doves to serve as critics.

• 1 month later...

I'm in this!