Cadets 2015

Ha! Dude, I'm living it!

What a hoot to see the youngins take over where the old man left off!

Yeah but yours can play drums. My nephew doesn't even listen to music lol...

Pfft and here we have people on another topic complaining about how modern DCI shows don't let shows build a musical idea anymore. That was beautiful and this show will be an absolute beast. They're already nominated for ballad of the year.

Yes, but this does not sound like a modern show (i.e. a chop-n-bop highlight reel of a show). This is sounding more like an old-school show musically. The typical modern DCI show does not let musical ideas develop. This may be a show in today's modern age, but it is not sounding like a typical DCI show as of late.

I thank Cadets for this and can't wait to see the finished product!

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 4

Yes, but this does not sound like a modern show (i.e. a chop-n-bop highlight reel of a show). This is sounding more like an old-school show musically. The typical modern DCI show does not let musical ideas develop. This may be a show in today's modern age, but it is not sounding like a typical DCI show as of late.

Isn't that the point? People say today's shows don't have any full developed ideas. You had BD last year, Bluecoats last year, this show is starting to live up to that category, and we haven't even seen anything else by others yet.

• Like 1

I don't think Cadets have ever really had a "chop-n-bop" arrangement. Folks can find faults with their designs over the years, but I don't believe chop-n-bop is one of them.

Also, I believe Cadets always "over plan," meaning their arrangements are purposefully longer than they know will hit the field, and then they make adjustments as the visual design/shape of the program takes over.

Regardless, I agree that this sounds like a great start for their season (at least, as much as you can get a good read in a gym recording) and I look forward to seeing this show progress!

Also, again, props to Hoppy for posting full movement videos: thank you!!

• Like 1

My biggest pet peeve with The Cadets musically is that they do initially put an over time show out there and then when they need to trim, sometimes it can seem chopped.

I haven't been a fan of their past 3 shows but I am beyond excited for this one. It's so powerful and already sounds great. Can't wait to see it on the field

I haven't been a fan of their past 3 shows but I am beyond excited for this one. It's so powerful and already sounds great. Can't wait to see it on the field

Me too (well I liked 2013 Musically, A LOT actually, but not much else about it).

I'm just interested to see how they will tie it together cohesively as a production musically, visually, and thematically. Do that, and they'll hit a home run. Miss, and it'll be another show like 2013 that I just listen to. Listen to a lot and love, but not watch, not remember for it's outstanding presentation of the theme. And it could be a very good show. My question is how will they portray "The Power of 10" in a refreshing way besides using multiples of 10 in the drill and section numbers, some 10ish themed props, and a 10th Symphony from a composer? With the creative team they have, I'm more optimistic than cautious, there's a plethora of things they could do. Just trying not to get too carried away on the unholy level of awesomeness I'm getting from this music program already. Don't want to set myself up to be dissapointed, but I'm allowing myself to be excited a little bit. They have my attention and sense of wonder in a good way, I'll say that. Just weighing the potential downsides as well as the upside they're giving us little teasers of.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Me too (well I liked 2013 Musically, A LOT actually, but not much else about it).

I'm just interested to see how they will tie it together cohesively as a production musically, visually, and thematically. Do that, and they'll hit a home run. Miss, and it'll be another show like 2013 that I just listen to. Listen to a lot and love, but not watch, not remember for it's outstanding presentation of the theme. And it could be a very good show. My question is how will they portray "The Power of 10" in a refreshing way besides using multiples of 10 in the drill and section numbers, some 10ish themed props, and a 10th Symphony from a composer? With the creative team they have, I'm more optimistic than cautious, there's a plethora of things they could do. Just trying not to get too carried away on the unholy level of awesomeness I'm getting from this music program already. Don't want to set myself up to be dissapointed, but I'm allowing myself to be excited a little bit. They have my attention and sense of wonder in a good way, I'll say that. Just weighing the potential downsides as well as the upside they're giving us little teasers of.

Yeah it's pretty hard to remain objective given it's February and Cadets are giving out so much information, and that the information is pretty good for this time of year. But I am trying to maintain my composure as well.

GH said it will be a show similar to 2000's "look what we can do". It will use the 10 thing for sure drill wise but will be about great music, great fast drill and high level performance. I think because it's not bring weighed down by a theme, we'll see a great visual presentation to go with the meaty musical arrangements. Sometimes "themes" can be limiting of expression because a great drill move may be viewed by a judge as " well that was amazing but what does it have to do with your theme abc"?

• Like 2