Cadets 2015

My biggest pet peeve with The Cadets musically is that they do initially put an over time show out there and then when they need to trim, sometimes it can seem chopped.

Yeah the funky thing about listening/enjoying early season recordings is when it changes if something you like changes it's inevitably a bummer. That goes during the season as well. In 1995 Cadets had a million different endings, and my favorite one I only saw once before it changed.

But I'll take it in exchange for enjoying drum corps music in February

Not sure what I think of the new movements. The opener and ballad sound great but - and maybe this has to do with the fact that it was recorded in a gym - the new movement they've put up sounds very uncohesive/not musical. It just sounds like a bunch of frenetic notes being repeated in different patterns.

Remember there is still 5% of the show yet to be learned musically and it has been said this is transitions work. I'm also figuring that we have not heard all the front ensemble features yet, some which may link what you are assessing as "uncohesive" (sic.)

I know there is a prologue/prelude/pre-show that the hornline has learned but it hasn't been released in Hopkins' official way. Some of that might just be a link to these parts in the production... and of course there is the guard to be added with their visuals.

I've never understood how percussionists can read music so fast. I was a woodwind player who got plenty of sixteenth and 32nd note runs or just funky rythyms in general and I'd always have trouble just getting my eyes to keep track of the notes as they'd go by at higher tempos. Just thinking about the precision needed to pull off what you just described boggles my mind.

Now this explains A LOT!

...but it doesn't explain Tekk being a trumpet player whom the Cadets raised to being a Contra. :wow:

Edited by xandandl

Now this explains A LOT!

...but it doesn't explain Tekk being a trumpet player whom the Cadets raised to being a Contra. :wow:

Maybe on Planet Jupiter. But here on Earth, I played trumpet for The Cadets.

They seem to be happy with how the design is falling into place. They're pretty honest about that because I recall GH saying in previous season when things aren't working so we're going back to rethink, rewrite etc during the offseason. Of course then there's the summer rewrites after judges weigh in.

They seem to be happy with how the design is falling into place. They're pretty honest about that because I recall GH saying in previous season when things aren't working so we're going back to rethink, rewrite etc during the offseason. Of course then there's the summer rewrites after judges weigh in.

True, but I believe this year may bear the fruits of their labor. They seem to have a pretty sound concept with some excellent musical choices that can possibly put them into a position to have one of the most entertaining shows they've put out. Granted, it is early, but can anyone recall being this excited this early in the year last year or the year before? I know I had hopes for them last year, but certainly not this level of excitement. But as usual, we will have to wait until the summer to see if their idea pays some dividends. Hopefully it does.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I know I had hopes for them last year, but certainly not this level of excitement.

Lincoln Portrait and Appalachian Spring don't usually engender "excitement". I love the latter, in the concert hall at least, but excitement isn't the word that springs to mind.

Edited by Eleran

Lincoln Portrait and Appalachian Spring don't usually engender "excitement". I love the latter, in the concert hall at least, but excitement isn't the word that springs to mind.

That may be the case, but I tend to get more excited when Cadets go to fast/frenetic type shows with kind of a "dark" theme. I'm a happy person, but I hate happy shows.

sorry Tekk.

I've had you confused with someone else all these seasons.

Your posting photo makes more sense now.

That explains a lot now lol...

• Like 1

True, but I believe this year may bear the fruits of their labor. They seem to have a pretty sound concept with some excellent musical choices that can possibly put them into a position to have one of the most entertaining shows they've put out. Granted, it is early, but can anyone recall being this excited this early in the year last year or the year before? I know I had hopes for them last year, but certainly not this level of excitement. But as usual, we will have to wait until the summer to see if their idea pays some dividends. Hopefully it does.

Last year I was excited about the music but of course all the narration and a patriotic theme was worrisome. It was probably a 4th place show that they performed the s$&t out of. Honestly, I went to a few shows and thought their marching was phenomenal. Throw in extreme competence in all captions, and there's your medalist. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2