Cadets 2015

Hop mentioned the 2000 show on his USBands webinar thing earlier tonight. He said the beginning of the show was great, the end of the show was great, but the middle was "meh." That they kept working on it throughout the season and they did make it better, but nobody really remembers that part of the show as much as the beginning and end. I can see that. And honestly, as well as the end of the show was designed, they had some serious performance issues with it at finals (which I'm sure you're aware of). It was clear to me anyway that they left the door open for the Cavaliers to walk through. Which they did. (well, they stood in the doorway WITH the Cadets, not exactly walked through it. LOL)

It's one of my least favorite Cadets shows musically because I really can't stand that source music. Ever since I first heard it at Epcot (and then had to listen to it all day long!) it just got on my nerves from the get go. Great corps, absolutely. Didn't care for the show. C'est la vie.

Yeah the funny thing is after we walked off the field after the show to meeet with the staff, we all had this "wtf happenend?!?!?!" look on our faces...

Hop mentioned the 2000 show on his USBands webinar thing earlier tonight. He said the beginning of the show was great, the end of the show was great, but the middle was "meh." That they kept working on it throughout the season and they did make it better, but nobody really remembers that part of the show as much as the beginning and end. I can see that. And honestly, as well as the end of the show was designed, they had some serious performance issues with it at finals (which I'm sure you're aware of). It was clear to me anyway that they left the door open for the Cavaliers to walk through. Which they did. (well, they stood in the doorway WITH the Cadets, not exactly walked through it. LOL)

It's one of my least favorite Cadets shows musically because I really can't stand that source music. Ever since I first heard it at Epcot (and then had to listen to it all day long!) it just got on my nerves from the get go. Great corps, absolutely. Didn't care for the show. C'est la vie.

I loved the source music! It screams Drum Corps! Granted the middle wasn't as dynamic as the Beginning or the End but, That's what made the end that much special! I love That Show! I really loved the final performance!

Yeah the funny thing is after we walked off the field after the show to meeet with the staff, we all had this "wtf happenend?!?!?!" look on our faces...

Call me a fool but where were there issues during that finals show besides the triplets in the slow section before the 208 bpm ending? Perhaps I need to analyze it a little more but I thought that the show was rock solid.

Edited by blakman7
  • Like 1

Call me a fool but where were there issues during that finals show besides the triplets in the slow section before the 208 bpm ending? Perhaps I need to analyze it a little more but I thought that the show was rock solid.

1. Clocks, the trumpets coming across from side one. That diagonal "line" was instead a curve.

2. Guard drop at the hit in Chaos.

3. Backfield section of Chaos was not as crisp as it usually was.

4. The drill at the end of Chaos was not crisp.

5. The trumpet "feature" in Reflections of Earth was not crisp.

6. The section you mentioned.

7. Hornline was not balanced three sets after the company front in the closer.

8. One horn player missed his direction change at the end of the show.

....just to name a few.

Edited by 2000Cadet

1. Clocks, the trumpets coming across from side one. That diagonal "line" was instead a curve.

2. Guard drop at the hit in Chaos.

3. Backfield section of Chaos was not as crisp as it usually was.

4. The drill at the end of Chaos was not crisp.

5. The trumpet "feature" in Reflections of Earth was not crisp.

6. The section you mentioned.

7. Hornline was not balanced three sets after the company front in the closer.

8. One horn player missed his direction change at the end of the show.

....just to name a few.

Well I still love the show. :)

• Like 2

yeah -- me too. none of those things were big enough to impact the experience of the live performance.

Taken in its totality, however, it sure as heck made an impact on me and many of the staff members of other corps waiting for retreat to begin. There was most definitely a "WTF is happening out there?!?!" vibe going on when their closer began. Kinda like.....

shocked-crowd-300x225.jpg

(only we were not dressed nearly as well)

There was more than one discussion going on afterwards about the possibility that the Cavaliers might just sneak away with a win.

Taken in its totality, however, it sure as heck made an impact on me and many of the staff members of other corps waiting for retreat to begin. There was most definitely a "WTF is happening out there?!?!" vibe going on when their closer began. Kinda like.....

shocked-crowd-300x225.jpg

(only we were not dressed nearly as well)

There was more than one discussion going on afterwards about the possibility that the Cavaliers might just sneak away with a win.

Which illustrates two important points:

1) Drum corps shows viewed from anywhere but the front look entirely different.

2) Despite our steadfast belief in our own objectivity, there's really no such thing. The "hat you're wearing" has a huge influence on perception.

yeah -- me too. none of those things were big enough to impact the experience of the live performance.

One of my all time favorite shows.

Which illustrates two important points:

1) Drum corps shows viewed from anywhere but the front look entirely different.

2) Despite our steadfast belief in our own objectivity, there's really no such thing. The "hat you're wearing" has a huge influence on perception.

LOL It was a terrific corps with a terrific show. And even if I didn't particularly care for the show music itself, I have no axe to grind with the Cadets. As a matter of fact, their 2000 quarterfinals performance was one of the 2 or 3 most electrifying performances I have ever witnessed in my life. Maybe that's why it shocked me so much to hear the issues I heard at finals.

I also realize that hearing the sounds of the show being closer to the field doesn't always transfer to there being any issues with the show upstairs. But I've also been around long enough to know that SOMETIMES IT DOES. And a lot of other folks I know saw and heard many of the same issues from right on the 50 yard line sitting in the best seats in the house. Jeez, even the one guy here who actually marched in that show admits that the corps itself was kind of gobsmacked after the show wondering what the heck just happened. Then just like that, that .3 spread they had in QF which had actually grown to .7 in SF evaporated and we had a tie. It wasn't their best run of the year. Sorry, it just wasn't.