Cadets 2015

LOL It was a terrific corps with a terrific show. And even if I didn't particularly care for the show music itself, I have no axe to grind with the Cadets. As a matter of fact, their 2000 quarterfinals performance was one of the 2 or 3 most electrifying performances I have ever witnessed in my life. Maybe that's why it shocked me so much to hear the issues I heard at finals.

I also realize that hearing the sounds of the show being closer to the field doesn't always transfer to there being any issues with the show upstairs. But I've also been around long enough to know that SOMETIMES IT DOES. And a lot of other folks I know saw and heard many of the same issues from right on the 50 yard line sitting in the best seats in the house. Jeez, even the one guy here who actually marched in that show admits that the corps itself was kind of gobsmacked after the show wondering what the heck just happened. Then just like that, that .3 spread they had in QF which had actually grown to .7 in SF evaporated and we had a tie. It wasn't their best run of the year. Sorry, it just wasn't.

Didn't claim it was their best run of the year. Nor did I say you had an axe to grind.

My point was (and is) that (A) you view other corps differently when you're on staff with another unit . You're not even aware of it (despite the fact that you absolutely know you're not biased in any way). Bias doesn't mean "axe to grind". It just means your perceptions are different. You notice things that -- when you're just wearing your fan hat) -- you may completely ignore.

And (B) shows are entirely different from the stands vs anywhere else (esp the back or side).

Really funny how defensive posters can get.

Edited by corpsband

Didn't claim it was their best run of the year. Nor did I say you had an axe to grind.

My point was (and is) that (A) you view other corps differently when you're on staff with another unit .

I never claimed or pretended otherwise. And I'm very aware of how that can influence my opinions. Just as how, say, someone who is just a fan of a specific corps might view that corps in a more idealized way, overlooking their flaws even if they aren't 100% sure of how to evaluate the nuts and bolts of a show the way a staff member, marching member, or judge can. We are all shaped by our experience. I was bringing that experience to the table when I offered my opinion on their finals performance.

And (B) shows are entirely different from the stands vs anywhere else (esp the back or side).

Yeah, I acknowledged that awareness as well.

Isn't it, though?? Better watch out for that mirror in front of your face while you say that. :bleah:We are both sometimes guilty of playing the same game around here, so lets not pretend we're not. And sometimes, we both wind up with egg on our faces when we criticize others for doing things we occasionally do ourselves. We both agree that the 2000 Cadets were an amazing corps with a great show. Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by seen-it-all

My point was (and is) that (A) you view other corps differently when you're on staff with another unit .

I never claimed or pretended otherwise. And I'm very aware of how that can influence my opinions. Just as how, say, someone who is just a fan of a specific corps might view that corps in a more idealized way, overlooking their flaws even if they aren't 100% sure of how to evaluate the nuts and bolts of a show the way a staff member, marching member, or judge can. We are all shaped by our experience. I was bringing that experience to the table when I offered my opinion on their finals performance.

Yeah, I acknowledged that awareness as well.

Isn't it, though?? Better watch out for that mirror in front of your face while you say that. :bleah:We are both sometimes guilty of playing the same game around here, so lets not pretend we're not. And sometimes, we both wind up with egg on our faces when we criticize others for doing things we occasionally do ourselves. We both agree that the 2000 Cadets were an amazing corps with a great show. Let's just leave it at that.

otay. i will bow down before your amazing greatness and defer to your vast expertise in all things.

abUzTjd.png

Edited by corpsband

My point was (and is) that (A) you view other corps differently when you're on staff with another unit . You're not even aware of it (despite the fact that you absolutely know you're not biased in any way). Bias doesn't mean "axe to grind". It just means your perceptions are different. You notice things that -- when you're just wearing your fan hat) -- you may completely ignore.

Especially when those calling you out reference their screen-name in their criticisim of the post you made.

Edited by tesmusic

1. Clocks, the trumpets coming across from side one. That diagonal "line" was instead a curve.

2. Guard drop at the hit in Chaos.

3. Backfield section of Chaos was not as crisp as it usually was.

4. The drill at the end of Chaos was not crisp.

5. The trumpet "feature" in Reflections of Earth was not crisp.

6. The section you mentioned.

7. Hornline was not balanced three sets after the company front in the closer.

8. One horn player missed his direction change at the end of the show.

....just to name a few.

I watched the show again today and I can't find anything mentioned above. I think I need new glasses and maybe to get my hearing checked.

I watched the show again today and I can't find anything mentioned above. I think I need new glasses and maybe to get my hearing checked.

Possibly, 2000000C formed their opinion from a live viewing which is different from a DVD version.

Possibly, 2000000C formed their opinion from a live viewing which is different from a DVD version.

Maybe the issue is he travelled back through time and I'm not looking at the same show?

I was responding to 2000Cadets - not 2000000Cadets. I don't remember seeing any Morlocks on the field.

To clarify...my point was that I don't see the faults. I'm not at that level of expertise. I am but a fan.

Edited by Lincoln

1. Clocks, the trumpets coming across from side one. That diagonal "line" was instead a curve.

2. Guard drop at the hit in Chaos.

3. Backfield section of Chaos was not as crisp as it usually was.

4. The drill at the end of Chaos was not crisp.

5. The trumpet "feature" in Reflections of Earth was not crisp.

6. The section you mentioned.

7. Hornline was not balanced three sets after the company front in the closer.

8. One horn player missed his direction change at the end of the show.

....just to name a few.

Hmm, I actually had to watch the show again to catch most of those things. I've always wanted to see a high cam shot of the show because with the multi cam, there is a ton of stuff that you NEVER see or have NEVER seen unless you saw the show live :-( Especially the beginning up to the first impact. My friends that marched in that show have all said that it was the hardest drill imaginable.

Cadets drills are usually "not easy". They're always the corps backing into moving blind sets while playing.

2000 Cadets were great period. Actually the whole top 12 in 2000 were pretty enjoyable.

• Like 1