Cadets 2015

https://yeaguy.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/the-morning-after/

In short -- there was a lack of focus going onto the field, and a lack of "in the moment" passion during the show.

I can't help but laugh at this. Bluecoats are just cleaner right now and weren't subjected to a questionable GE score like the first show. I'm sure the Cadets will once again overtake the Coats at some point this season as they clean stuff up, but blaming lack of focus and passion is pretty funny. Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

By the end of the season I hope to be able to give this show 10 out of 10 stars.

• Like 2

I can't help but laugh at this. Bluecoats are just cleaner right now and weren't subjected to a questionable GE score like the first show. I'm sure the Cadets will once again overtake the Coats at some point this season as they clean stuff up, but blaming lack of focus and passion is pretty funny.

Such an indolent and jaded judgement on ol' G-Hop. I read his blog post and I see this: I see him taking responsibility for his role in a sub-optimal performance. I see him exhorting his talented but callow youngsters to ever-higher levels of individual and group excellence in the face of distractions and doubts. And he does all this in a diplomatic and sensitive manner. Seems exactly the thing a mature and thoughtful leader of young people should do.

I don't always agree with Hop's artistic choices, and I think he is too involved in the creative process, but that aside, I have immense respect for the man.

• Like 2

I can't help but laugh at this. Bluecoats are just cleaner right now and weren't subjected to a questionable GE score like the first show. I'm sure the Cadets will once again overtake the Coats at some point this season as they clean stuff up, but blaming lack of focus and passion is pretty funny.

Well he didn't blame bad judges, he acknowledged that they didn't have a good show and had lapses in focus. More of a lesson to the MMs of the Cadets from their Director.

Such an indolent and jaded judgement on ol' G-Hop. I read his blog post and I see this: I see him taking responsibility for his role in a sub-optimal performance. I see him exhorting his talented but callow youngsters to ever-higher levels of individual and group excellence in the face of distractions and doubts. And he does all this in a diplomatic and sensitive manner. Seems exactly the thing a mature and thoughtful leader of young people should do.

I don't always agree with Hop's artistic choices, and I think he is too involved in the creative process, but that aside, I have immense respect for the man.

I respect Hopkins too. I've stated before that the Cadets are VERY lucky to have a director like him.

However, sometimes no PR is better than some PR. Why was an "explanation" needed at all? They lost to the Bluecoats by, what, .15? It's not a big deal. I don't think Hopkins needs to write on a blog to communicate his feelings to the MM's. That's what rehearsal and meetings are for. The Cadets are dirty right now and need to clean things up, there is nothing else to it. And once they do clean up, they will be formidable.

Why is that hard to believe? Bluecoats may have had a better show even if the Cadets WERE 100% focused. We can't know what was going on with the performers unless we had 1st hand knowledge of why they performed the way they did. Laugh all you want, but trust me. It happens. I'm sure if you marched, it happened to you as well.

I respect Hopkins too. I've stated before that the Cadets are VERY lucky to have a director like him.

However, sometimes no PR is better than some PR. Why was an "explanation" needed at all? They lost to the Bluecoats by, what, .15? It's not a big deal. I don't think Hopkins needs to write on a blog to communicate his feelings to the MM's. That's what rehearsal and meetings are for. The Cadets are dirty right now and need to clean things up, there is nothing else to it. And once they do clean up, they will be formidable.

Umm, you didn't need to read it either. Freedom of choice buddy.

Do you know people who just seem afraid of silence? They can't seem to handle a situation where someone is not talking, so they fill the void by speaking nonsensically?

That's George Hopkins with social media. Love the guy, love his desire to inform fans about the goings-on of the corps. And in this way, he seems to ALWAYS need to comment on each night's performance. Does he need to write an explanation about a 0.15 loss in the first week of the season to a corps that beat them the previous finals week? Of course not. But this is par for the course.

It's a weird way to communicate with corps members. But I can accept this quirk to get some periscope vids.

• Like 1

Who knows? Maybe the Bluecoats had a "bad" show too, but David Glasgow doesn't have a blog that I know of.

I remember a few instances back with BK where we a bad show but somehow got a much better score and vice versa.

• Like 1