Cadets 2015

Some may argue "well this thread IS almost 250 pages long" but STILL!

Actually the way I see this thread....one person posts a comment about how wonderful Cadets are. 6 Cadets fans post confirmation about how wonderful Cadets are.

One person posts a thread about how they have a criticism or concern about something in Cadets show. 6 Cadets fans pounce on this person to criticize their take on the Cadets show.

I like Cadets show this year, but just like last year God be with anyone who posts a negative comment (genuine or perceived) about Cadets.

• Like 3

Actually the way I see this thread....one person posts a comment about how wonderful Cadets are. 6 Cadets fans post confirmation about how wonderful Cadets are.

One person posts a thread about how they have a criticism or concern about something in Cadets show. 6 Cadets fans pounce on this person to criticize their take on the Cadets show.

I like Cadets show this year, but just like last year God be with anyone who posts a negative comment (genuine or perceived) about Cadets.

That's not exclusive to The Cadets' thread. It's in almost every other corps' thread.

• Like 1

He's the Joe Roche of the Modern Era. :-)

Who's Joe Roche?? Is that Hal Roche's brother?? lol

Interesting points you've made.

My thoughts so far (without the benefit of a live viewing):

I feel the intro section is kinda short relative to many intros of Cadets' past. I feel that the counting is kinda unnecessary. But we'll see where they go with it.

I also feel the same about those panels in the back. I think they're too colorful. But I guess that's what they're sticking with.

I have a feeling they're gonna rework that transition into the closer. But that's just MY feeling.

I think there are couple of sections within movement 2 that they could cut out because they seem a little redundant (for example, that lead up to the first chord, a few measures back). But for the most part, I love the way movement 2 is written. It's "Cadet-like".

2000 and George - you both are SPOT ON with your criticisms. I'd had the same thoughts over the last couple weeks.

I wish they would emphasize the most important thing - not the number 10 (still arbitrary), but since they're committed to that number, they should feature more 1+9 throughout the show, and save the sum for the end.

The D S C H musical signature that some find repetitive in the symphony is Dmitri's assertion of his individuality against the faceless state. One vs. Many. He pounds that and pounds that because he's asserting his individuality. Ignore that in the music and you miss the most salient and emotional point of his entire oevre, including this symphony, which happens to be numbered "10", outdoing Beethoven's 9. One more. One more night without the KGB knocking three times at three in the morning to take him off to the Gulag to be executed or to starve in Siberia (like we hear in Quartet #8).

The more of the above that's in the show, the less arbitrary the number theme, and the more emotional impact the show will have.

Hear me Hop? Hear me design staff?

ONE vs NINE

(thesis) (antithesis)

And at the end, since the last movement is more optimistic, we get TEN. Unity. Completion. (Synthesis)

Save the 10 until the end as much as possible. Then the whole show is yearning for unity, building to something.

I won't go deeper into politics or aesthetics here, because the Cadets design team seems allergic to politics that aren't Ken Burns soft focus patriotic postcards (which drowned last year's show, and doused others in so much syrup the music and the skill of the marching members couldn't emerge from the rah rah propaganda), but the above is the solution to a lot of (arbitrary) problems.

Dmitri wrote Art that was beyond nationalism, beyond propaganda. He loathed and raged (D S C H) against both. Thus this show must aspire to the highest aspirations of Art if it is to succeed to its potential.

Q.E.D.

• Like 3

Who's Joe Roche?? Is that Hal Roche's brother?? lol

Former mello in Cadets' DCI legacy years who went on to be a drill tech under George Zingali and remains such during the Jeff Sacktig era.

In the non-drum corps world, he is an officer in the US Army who often brings that experience to the Stretch and Run (S&R) sessions before most drill blocks constantly expanding (that is, stretching) the endurance and physical abilities of corps members. His wicked sense of humor is notable as is his enthusiastic approach and character, both which lead to many bus charactertures. His stretch blocks during winter camps over the years* quickly separate the noobees into committed wannabees and those who just want the applause. On the show field he is known as a drill cleaner with an impressive eye for developing tickless performance and consistancy.

Imagine a well built Winston Churchill (complete with cigar) coupled with Vince Lombardi, add YogI Berra's wisdom (although Joe is much more well read that what many joke about Yogi.) He also is someone who understands Hopkins and subsequently has Hopkins' ear, usually for the good of the corps members and progress.

I will leave it to others in the Cadets history to explain further.

* I am aware that Patrick Duncan and others have taken on and stretched that stretching as Uncle Sam keeps looking to Joe for frequent consultations.

Edited by xandandl

Joe Roche was a mellophone player. I think he played soprano in 83. But definitely mellophone in 84 and 85.

2000 and George - you both are SPOT ON with your criticisms. I'd had the same thoughts over the last couple weeks.

The D S C H musical signature that some find repetitive in the symphony is Dmitri's assertion of his individuality against the faceless state. One vs. Many. He pounds that and pounds that because he's asserting his individuality. Ignore that in the music and you miss the most salient and emotional point of his entire oevre, including this symphony, which happens to be numbered "10", outdoing Beethoven's 9. One more. One more night without the KGB knocking three times at three in the morning to take him off to the Gulag to be executed or to starve in Siberia (like we hear in Quartet #8).

Q.E.D.

Wow! Thanks for the explanation. I learn something new everyday.

Former baritone in Cadets' DCI legacy years who went on to be a drill tech under George Zingali and remains such during the Jeff Sacktig era.

In the non-drum corps world, he is an officer in the US Army who often brings that experience to the Stretch and Run (S&R) sessions before most drill blocks constantly expanding (that is, stretching) the endurance and physical abilities of corps members. His wicked sense of humor is notable as is his enthusiastic approach and character, both which lead to many bus charactertures. His stretch blocks during winter camps over the years* quickly separate the noobees into committed wannabees and those who just want the applause. On the show field he is known as a drill cleaner with an impressive eye for developing tickless performance and consistancy.

Imagine a well built Winston Churchill (complete with cigar) coupled with Vince Lombardi, add YogI Berra's wisdom (although Joe is much more well read that what many joke about Yogi.) He also is someone who understands Hopkins and subsequently has Hopkins' ear, usually for the good of the corps members and progress.

I will leave it to others in the Cadets history to explain further.

* I am aware that Patrick Duncan and others have taken on and stretched that stretching as Uncle Sam keeps looking to Joe for frequent consultations.

Yeah Joe Roche is definitely legendary. He has this passion about him that tends to emanate from him to the rest of the corps. I remember first meeting him in 1999 and I thought he was pretty intense (scarily intense to my 17 year old body at the time). But part of the reason I am the way I am today is because of him.