Cadets 2015

So just back from the show. Cadets did not look comfortable on that slick turf. Add to it new shoes and they looked darn right shaky in spots. Some big dirt in drill during direction changes, and heard some of the ruffled feet in the horns too. Guard didn't have a good run. Spots looked great but they had several very rough moments. Drums on the other hand looked very comfortable and sounded it. Anyway, that's my take. They were very solid but visually and brass isn't wasn't their best run. I was more nervous watching them than enjoying it in spots.

At least none of their MM hit the dirt as MM's did for Crown, Phantom, Cavaliers and BD. Only the Cadets and Bluecoats had all their MM remain on their feet. I don't understand how MM's falling to the ground doesn't effect one's score, but I guess it doesn't . Sad day if that's the case.

• Like 1

Let's see. People are complaining, but the Cadets gained ground on Crown and BD with a shaky performance. Jitters were to be expected with a big moment like this. On to bigger and better things! If you're at Allentown this weekend and you're a Cadets fan or alumni, please raise some thunderous applause for the marvelous young adults who took on such a tough challenge this season. It says a lot about them, and I thank them for it!

• Like 3

Short of seeing the Cadets color changes live, I am not totally convinced that the blackout will have any positive impact on their GE of Visual scoring. It comes down to cleaning the drill and nailing the impact points to the max. Thinking of 2014, I'm crossing my fingers that we don't see a last-minute hoisting of a droopy banner showing either Stalin lying in state, or Khrushchev pounding the U.N. table with his shoe :-)

• Like 1

I think considering a main emphasis for this change was the 10th element: Neon, there is a distinct lack of neon in the show!! The lime green in the guard costumes gets lost in the green of the grass and the flags seem quite mutted. Was really hoping some neon In the corps uniform. Maybe that's yet to be revealed? (Or am I too hopeful?)

Edited by DCI-86

Just wishing they were a bit louder. Their 2013 corps was extremely loud...Why is it Crown is so much louder at high impact points than everybody else?

I felt their impact points were pretty impressive dynamically. I felt in their softer parts where they were playing intricate runs that the drum line was drowning them out. On the other hand, the other corps that used a lot of electronic voicing were drowned out as well.

Only going by Thomas Hartmann's periscope video, one viewing when I woke up this morning --

• I think the new guard unis work very well. Loved how their arm movements communicated. Did not pay much attention to the new silks.
  • I was hoping the platform colors would change colors. Also couldn't tell on the video about the panels.
  • Corps unis -- felt like I was watching Phantom. I mean that mostly in a positive way -- not used to being able to see the horns so clearly against the uniform. Sort of wish the plume or cummerbund or something had some additional silver or white or neon. I got a little visually lost in the ballad due to the dark unis -- at the same time, the lighting/brightness on the video wasn't the best, and I'm sure it lacked some contrast.
  • Performance -- very intense! Sounded great! Crowd response was good.

Number-wise, disappointed in those GE numbers. Glad visual scores were back up (though guard back down...). Would like to see them winning brass again, but glad they won percussion.

4 corps within 0.7. Bluecoats GE up but lagging in performance mostly.

I wasn't crazy about Crown on a periscope vid.

• Like 1

I put up my vid of the full show on Youtube. I was on the 40 in the last row. Search Cadets 7/30/15. There are some short clips of Crown, SCV, and Bloo as well.

Edited by rydad1
  • Like 1