Cadets 2015

Marching members of the Modern Era realize that Saturday, August first is the simultaneous triple birthday of Gino (brass caption head), Colin (percussion head), and of an aged out horn sgt. who hasn't been heard from in too long.

Well, at the Bethlehem rehearsal Saturday just before ensemble, Gino went to continue the routine with the brass line, the DM asked for a moment, and then beginning with several cross field soloists the hornline moved Gino to tears as they surprised him with a symphonic full line brass rendering of "Happy Birthday."

Said the master to the faithful, "That was so amazingly cool!!! No corps has ever done that for me before! When did you have time to learn that???" flabbergasted Gino asked.

"Walking over to the field!" was the "spontaneous" full line response in perfect unison.

Great kids, great tribute.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

I understand this issue seems to be settled since the Cadets have let it be known they’re going with the new all-black uniforms all the way through finals. Nevertheless, I have a question:

Might the Cadets still have access to their white uniforms from the 2011 show?

If not, then my comment here is inconsequential. But if they do, I wonder - in this highly competitive year and even at this late date - if there are alternatives to speak to some of the downsides of the new look. Personally I agree the new uniform is very strong for all the reasons already mentioned here. Not mentioned is that the silver instruments pop more in the lights with a dark background. But the downsides - though slight - are rational to some and might mean, sadly really, the difference this year in terms of the competition. Accessorizing differently could help too, but…

What if the Cadets wore the traditional cream pants with the new black jackets and unified both with sashes and shakos (complimenting the guard’s neon)?

I’m wishing here, but I’d like to think that - similar to their 2011 program - the contrasting black and white would help draw attention to the extraordinarily speedy footwork and design in the drills. It would also link up nicely with the new black and white panels. And, need I mention that these drills are accomplished while playing what seems to be the most challenging book on the field this year.

In another formulation, and extending this fantasy even further, what if half the corps wore all black and the other half all white? I’d like to think that - again like 2011 - their designs might pop in ways we have yet to witness. This may not be possible given the limited time, program design, and emphasis on cleaning. Still…

The effect might be spell blinding and look like Dr. Caligari’s Cabinet. I suggest this might accentuate an already spectacular show with even more of its principal desired effect: awe.

Marching members of the Modern Era realize that Saturday, August first is the simultaneous triple birthday of Gino (brass caption head), Colin (percussion head), and of an aged out horn sgt. who hasn't been heard from in too long.

Well, at the Bethlehem rehearsal Saturday just before ensemble, Gino went to continue the routine with the brass line, the DM asked for a moment, and then beginning with several cross field soloists the hornline moved Gino to tears as they surprised him with a symphonic full line brass rendering of "Happy Birthday."

Said the master to the faithful, "That was so amazingly cool!!! No corps has ever done that for me before! When did you have time to learn that???" flabbergasted Gino asked.

"Walking over to the field!" was the "spontaneous" full line response in perfect unison.

Great kids, great tribute.

I was watching their rehearsal when that happened. Very cool little moment.

I'm still rooting for the Cadets to pull it off. Still feels weird, but there you go. :) Honestly, though, it's the first year in a long while where I will be happy with the results no matter how it shakes out - I'm a huge fan of all of the top 4 contenders.

On a side note, this has been one of my more favorite threads this summer, as the Cadets folks have been so enthusiastic about the corps and the show's twists and turns . It's been fun to read, especially as a lot of the corps threads... um... have been ... less... positive about their corps. Anyways, it's nice to get a reminder sometimes that this activity is supposed to be fun!

Mike

• Like 6

I understand this issue seems to be settled since the Cadets have let it be known theyre going with the new all-black uniforms all the way through finals. Nevertheless, I have a question:

Might the Cadets still have access to their white uniforms from the 2011 show?

If not, then my comment here is inconsequential. But if they do, I wonder - in this highly competitive year and even at this late date - if there are alternatives to speak to some of the downsides of the new look. Personally I agree the new uniform is very strong for all the reasons already mentioned here. Not mentioned is that the silver instruments pop more in the lights with a dark background. But the downsides - though slight - are rational to some and might mean, sadly really, the difference this year in terms of the competition. Accessorizing differently could help too, but

What if the Cadets wore the traditional cream pants with the new black jackets and unified both with sashes and shakos (complimenting the guards neon)?

Im wishing here, but Id like to think that - similar to their 2011 program - the contrasting black and white would help draw attention to the extraordinarily speedy footwork and design in the drills. It would also link up nicely with the new black and white panels. And, need I mention that these drills are accomplished while playing what seems to be the most challenging book on the field this year.

In another formulation, and extending this fantasy even further, what if half the corps wore all black and the other half all white? Id like to think that - again like 2011 - their designs might pop in ways we have yet to witness. This may not be possible given the limited time, program design, and emphasis on cleaning. Still

The effect might be spell blinding and look like Dr. Caligaris Cabinet. I suggest this might accentuate an already spectacular show with even more of its principal desired effect: awe.

The Angels and Demons uniforms were sold off as a fundraiser after the 2011 season.

The Angels and Demons uniforms were sold off as a fundraiser after the 2011 season.

The 12.25 white uniforms are being used by Cadets 2 right now