Cadets 2015

I said early in the season that the guard would be an issue for Cadets this year and I was shot down for saying it. But at the end of the day BD doesn't really have a weakness whereas Cadets (guard) and Crown (percussion) could well be what causes BD to be first and maybe BC to place 2nd. GH says they treat the approach to their guard differently- not really featuring them as other corps do. This is fair enough but lack of variety around staging I think is a big issue for Cadet's guard combined with a rather uninspiring written book (I believe caption head changed from last year). To put this into context, I think Cadets guard are very good and will be squeaky clean by finals but this year more than ever, every 1/10th could make a huge difference

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

I put up my vid of the full show on Youtube. I was on the 40 in the last row. Search Cadets 7/30/15. There are some short clips of Crown, SCV, and Bloo as well.

I just watched this and I am going to be one of the minority that is in total favor of this change for the last push. I think it looks brilliant and I literally gasped when the horn feature began and the flags with the bright pink popped out (if anything, there might need to be more of this shade or other neon besides green in the props). I love the changes to the end, though it is still dirty, which I think has mainly to do with the slickness of the field (not the new shoes because I assume they still do run through's in show shoes).

My .02 on the whole black uniform thing. It looks fantastic and it is a bold move. I have read comments saying they disappear because of the black. This is ridiculous to me because the black "pops" against green grass, yet is sleek and non-distracting from the overall picture. Do you know what actually disappears? The box props because they are too faded of a green and they blend in too well with the grass. I have read comments saying the black makes the drill look muddy, the marching unclean. For this particular show their was some definite dirt in the drill but I feel that had more to do with the conditions than the uniforms. Anytime you are marching on potentially slick surfaces there is a tendency to be less aggressive about hitting your forms, the overriding desire to stay upright sometimes supersedes the confidence normally felt in the form. A lot of it locked in and looked great, but I could sense some of the hesitation watching the video.

Anytime I have had a group marching in black verses white or another lighter color, I have always preferred the black. It's meaner, edgier and, imo, cleaner in the end. This is The Cadets. They can be clean in cream with a maroon stripe, they will be clean in black, everything will lock (c'mon guard, lock with us!) and hopefully this will all be at just the right time. This was a bold action to take, I don't see them changing it back (when have you ever seen Hop reverse course once he starts a path due to naysayers :winky:) I just see it getting cleaner, more aggressive and more confident. The margin between the top 3 is very small. The season is not over.

• Like 6

Here is a link to the photos I took last night of the new uni's

https://picasaweb.google.com/112286575323837177862/PPLParkChesterPA07302015

Nice pics!

I think it is a combination of many things...

5. There isn't a ballad moment to really sell the groups ability to stand in big space, spin big flags well, and dance their butts off.

I think this is such a huge bullet, it should have been #1 on your list. The confined to ten yards ballad is a bold design choice, clearly fitting with the theme. but at the same time, it's incredibly restrictive from a staging standpoint (by design) and absolutely doesn't allow for traditional ballad staging and the creation of a traditional guard moment. I also think the black uniforms *may* contribute to an already precarious issue...clutter. I'll know more when I see them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Can someone clarify for me>

At the Allentown competition, since it is two nights are there different placings for each night or are they all placed against each other?

At the Allentown competition, since it is two nights are there different placings for each night or are they all placed against each other?

Separate placings for each night.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Technically they are different shows judged by the same panel. The numbers only matter night to night for the seeding average for prelims.

• Like 1

Separate placings for each night.

Yes and no. Technically they are different shows judged by the same panel. The numbers only matter night to night for the seeding average for prelims.

Thanks!