Cadets 2015

Always wondered why when they have French Horn parts they don't face the member towards the enzone and the bell towards the crowd? Would it need to be amped then ya think?

Always wondered why when they have French Horn parts they don't face the member towards the enzone and the bell towards the crowd? Would it need to be amped then ya think?

French horns are not directional instruments.

• Like 2

Short of seeing the Cadets color changes live, I am not totally convinced that the blackout will have any positive impact on their GE of Visual scoring. It comes down to cleaning the drill and nailing the impact points to the max. Thinking of 2014, I'm crossing my fingers that we don't see a last-minute hoisting of a droopy banner showing either Stalin lying in state, or Khrushchev pounding the U.N. table with his shoe :-)

Yes, no gimmicks. However, it just might be the arbitrary (10) imposed on the narrative and biographical and highly political work of art (the music itself) that is the weakness here, despite the phenomenal efforts of the MMs. This is narrative music castrated by an arbitrary show concept - a number.

GE is about aesthetic unity, authenticity, impact, not gimmicks.

I posted about this first in November when the show theme was announced, and got clobbered for it. So it goes.

If the Cadets don't roll out any more gimmicks, and if they perform this show, flawed as it is, to its potential, it can - and probably should - win gold. It's the hardest show on the field this year, marching and music. High demand should be rewarded.

Edited by Maneuvah

So you're proposing that the mello players moon the audience to aim to the box?

Talk about GE.....

I just watched this and I am going to be one of the minority that is in total favor of this change for the last push. I think it looks brilliant and I literally gasped when the horn feature began and the flags with the bright pink popped out (if anything, there might need to be more of this shade or other neon besides green in the props). I love the changes to the end, though it is still dirty, which I think has mainly to do with the slickness of the field (not the new shoes because I assume they still do run through's in show shoes).

My .02 on the whole black uniform thing. It looks fantastic and it is a bold move. I have read comments saying they disappear because of the black. This is ridiculous to me because the black "pops" against green grass, yet is sleek and non-distracting from the overall picture. Do you know what actually disappears? The box props because they are too faded of a green and they blend in too well with the grass. I have read comments saying the black makes the drill look muddy, the marching unclean. For this particular show their was some definite dirt in the drill but I feel that had more to do with the conditions than the uniforms. Anytime you are marching on potentially slick surfaces there is a tendency to be less aggressive about hitting your forms, the overriding desire to stay upright sometimes supersedes the confidence normally felt in the form. A lot of it locked in and looked great, but I could sense some of the hesitation watching the video.

Anytime I have had a group marching in black verses white or another lighter color, I have always preferred the black. It's meaner, edgier and, imo, cleaner in the end. This is The Cadets. They can be clean in cream with a maroon stripe, they will be clean in black, everything will lock (c'mon guard, lock with us!) and hopefully this will all be at just the right time. This was a bold action to take, I don't see them changing it back (when have you ever seen Hop reverse course once he starts a path due to naysayers :winky:) I just see it getting cleaner, more aggressive and more confident. The margin between the top 3 is very small. The season is not over.

I think people don't understand that there will be a small adjustment required by members because of the new uniforms, new shoes, different stimuli peripherally while they're marching. They will settle in.
  • Like 2

Yes, no gimmicks. However, it just might be the arbitrary (10) imposed on the narrative and biographical and highly political work of art (the music itself) that is the weakness here, despite the phenomenal efforts of the MMs. This is narrative music castrated by an arbitrary show concept - a number.

GE is about aesthetic unity, authenticity, impact, not gimmicks.

I posted about this first in November when the show theme was announced, and got clobbered for it. So it goes.

If the Cadets don't roll out any more gimmicks, and if they perform this show, flawed as it is, to its potential, it can - and probably should - win gold. It's the hardest show on the field this year, marching and music. High demand should be rewarded.

I have agreed with your last statement from the beginning of the year. If the Cadets. even with the uniform change, can perform this show to its potential they could win. At first I wasn't sold on the uniform change because my first viewing was through periscope. I have now viewed the show several times with a different recording and the potential winning show is still there.....if they perform it. Obviously the judges liked what they saw. They have four corps lumped together with the potential of winning the gold.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

Here is a link to the photos I took last night of the new uni's

https://picasaweb.google.com/112286575323837177862/PPLParkChesterPA07302015

It seriously looks like the Cadets are using duct tape to make some of the digits on the props.

.... duct tape.

• Like 1

It seriously looks like the Cadets are using duct tape to make some of the digits on the props.

.... duct tape.

Sparkle sparkle? :silly: