Cadets 2015

French horns are not directional instruments.

Unless you ask anyone who has sat behind a French horn section playing FF in a band or orchestra setting. They'll tell you it's directional, alright. You just don't want it pointed in your direction.
  • Like 5

Unless you ask anyone who has sat behind a French horn section playing FF in a band or orchestra setting. They'll tell you it's directional, alright. You just don't want it pointed in your direction.

Especially when the fracking begins. There's always fracking.....

• Like 1

Yes, no gimmicks. However, it just might be the arbitrary (10) imposed on the narrative and biographical and highly political work of art (the music itself) that is the weakness here, despite the phenomenal efforts of the MMs. This is narrative music castrated by an arbitrary show concept - a number.

GE is about aesthetic unity, authenticity, impact, not gimmicks.

I posted about this first in November when the show theme was announced, and got clobbered for it. So it goes.

If the Cadets don't roll out any more gimmicks, and if they perform this show, flawed as it is, to its potential, it can - and probably should - win gold. It's the hardest show on the field this year, marching and music. High demand should be rewarded.

• Like 1

Just wishing they were a bit louder. Their 2013 corps was extremely loud...Why is it Crown is so much louder at high impact points than everybody else?

Staging and arrangements

Here is a link to the photos I took last night of the new uni's

https://picasaweb.google.com/112286575323837177862/PPLParkChesterPA07302015

Nice pics! Looking at the boxes up close, I see that they are supposed to blend with the grass. I didn't see that before. I still am not sure the "neon green" in the rest of the guard stuff is just not poppy enough.

At one point, between the double horn arcs and spelling out "TEN", they hit 10 drill sets in 24 seconds.

POW!

• Like 1

Could watch that all day.....

• Like 2

Could watch that all day.....

Amazing, amazing drill!

That's the Cadets I fell in love with in 1987.

No one out there has that level of demand. No one.

Give me staging or demand, I'll choose demand every time.

Bravissimo Cadets! Arete!

So what I expect at finals: Catharsis. That's what great GE makes you feel, as well as the live experience of great art.

And better than anyone, the Cadets know Catharsis. Why? Because the root of the word is "katheirein" in ancient Greek, which means to cleanse.

So clean clean clean, and the show will be pure gold.

• Like 1