Cadets 2015

I love the Cadets. That's it! Nothing more to see here. FHNSAB...

• Like 1

Called the semi-placements the other day when I saw who the panel was. A few of the green shirts are quite predictable with their likes and dislikes as well as what numerology they give at other shows this season. Don't need to be a neuro-scientist or brain surgeon to call that.

Tomorrow's panel is considered more fair in Cadets regard provided the kids do the show.

Given the speed of their performance and that the two previous units before Cadets competed use a lot of mics on horn players and Cadets do not save for French horn soloist, volume level always seems a downer at LOS. Since DCI will be stuck here for the next 10 seasons (no pun), some remedy will be needed for the future.

• Like 1

It's incredibly frustrating that in a musical activity you can win all the musics but finish 4th. It's time the sheets were revised to restore balance to the Force.

Mike

I surprisingly find myself agreeing with you. GE is weighted a bit too much. Right now, the split is 40-30-30. In my opinion, it should be more like 30-35-35 (GE-Visual-Music).

• Like 1

It's incredibly frustrating that in a musical activity you can win all the musics but finish 4th. It's time the sheets were revised to restore balance to the Force.

Mike

I'm with you on that.
  • Like 1

It's not just sad. It pisses me off.

I agree with this statement only. It is sad and pisses me off that the season is coming to an end! This season has been exciting and has kept a lot of us on our toes since June 18th when the season started. I LOVED THE CADETS 2015 SHOW!! It has been one of all time favorite Cadets shows. I rank it up there with 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2011, and 2013 (some of which weren't even gold medals that year). The kids wanted this show, they got it and in my eyes they performed the absolute crap out of it despite how the judges evaulate it. I actually "get" the show and love every aspect of it.

Unfortunately, I never marched Cadets but I do know how hard they work and no matter which place they come in on Saturday, it should be rewarded on and off of the field. That goes for all of the corps out there. Each summer those kids pay a lot of money, get sore muscles, sunburns, burn a ton of calories, get dead tired and rehearse relentlessly. I think that sometimes we forget about why they march DCI. It's not always necessarily for the finals placement but for the experience, the comradery, the feeling of accomplishment after working together as a unit.

The whole bashing of a design team and etc is far from necessary because at the end of the day, (Disclaimer: this is MY opinion) the judges are a part of the DCI political system. Each judge has their favorites and it shows from night to night no matter which group you are. You never hear anyone say "Yeah the judges really did a great job evaluating on finals night of year xxxx". You'll hear "Oh yeah, that show was incredible" or "That year was my favorite all time show".

I personally hated the Cadets 2014 show but you know what, at the end of the season those kids still performed their hearts out despite all of the "chesse" that we might label the show as. The organization chose a show based on what they wanted to showcase and they did it very well, just like this with this season. With all of the negativity that is constantly displayed on this site and thread, I can clearly see why some people are choosing to opt out for a little while. A lot of us have failed to bring forth the main focus of choosing to partake in the DCI activity and the positive rather than the little things that bother us about a show. The things that are CONSTANTLY pointed out after every performance as if we have a say in the design of these shows and the ideas that the stuff put forth to the members. With that said, I wish every corps the best come finals. No matter what the results are, the kids earned the respect and recognition!

Edited by blakman7
  • Like 1

congrats Cadets on winning BOTH brass and percussion (along with music!) tonight - wow!

Listening to the tunnel cam last night, which was pretty good audio quality, I am not surprised by this. The Cadets have had one of the top brass and percussion sections all summer. And last night they were the only corps to me that nailed their show musically. I am pulling for them to win the Ott and the Sanford tonight. Their music analysis number should have been higher too.

• Like 3